Author Topic: I hate to say this..but..Trade for Delonte?  (Read 9119 times)

Re: I hate to say this..but..Trade for Delonte?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I don't think that would happen. It would take some time for him to adjust(to winning :D), we need a pure point guard and that's it.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Yeah, definitely, Delonte would be an excellent combo guard to have off the bench.

I wouldn't give up this year's draft pick though. I like the talent that should be available at that position. Delonte + draft pick + MLE could help create a very nice second unit.

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 06:43:30 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Open arms...

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No thanks! There must be a reason why Cleveland is looking to deal him.

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
No thanks! There must be a reason why Cleveland is looking to deal him.

That reason has a name, Gloria James.

I've always thought of Delonte as the perfect backup guard. He can play both the one and the two. He can shoot, he's an above average rebounder for someone his size, hes a good defender and he hustles his butt off. I would love having delonte off the bench to spell rondo for 10-12 minutes a night at PG and and pickup another 5-10 at SG.  When Delonte was here in Boston he was still bi-polar, he was the same person, but his problems were never a team problem, He was always loved in boston and by all accounts a great teammate. Coming back to Boston may be the best thing for Delonte as well.

If these rumors are true, the team looking to trade for him will most likely cut him to save that $5 million. If thats the case, hes a UFA and then i'd love to get him. Don't think we have much to trade for him.

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
When Delonte was here in Boston he was still bi-polar, he was the same person, but his problems were never a team problem, He was always loved in boston and by all accounts a great teammate.

TP.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
When Delonte was here in Boston he was still bi-polar, he was the same person, but his problems were never a team problem, He was always loved in boston and by all accounts a great teammate.

TP.

It's been a team problem for Cleveland though.  It was probably just a matter of time.  They probably would have surfaced with the Celtics too if he was still on the team.  Why can't some people let it go? I doubt Danny would risk dealing with all Delonte's problems anyway, as he's not good enough to put up with it.  I think Nate Robinson is a better player anyway and he is already on the team.  I'd rather re-sign Nate and then Tony for defense on the elite wings.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

TP.

It's been a team problem for Cleveland though.  It was probably just a matter of time.  They probably would have surfaced with the Celtics too if he was still on the team.  Why can't some people let it go? I doubt Danny would risk dealing with all Delonte's problems anyway, as he's not good enough to put up with it.  I think Nate Robinson is a better player anyway and he is already on the team.  I'd rather re-sign Nate and then Tony for defense on the elite wings.

The thing is, his condition is completely (and easily) managed with medication...which he had stopped taking, and which was a factor in his off-court troubles.  As a FA signee (the only way I could see him returning), various conditions can be included in the contract to ensure he continues to get what he needs off-court to be productive when it counts.  So it really is low-risk, but it takes an understanding of his situation to see that. 

He could be available at an incredible bargain for his talent level.  He's a proven rotation player on a top team after all...

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

TP.

The thing is, his condition is completely (and easily) managed with medication...which he had stopped taking, and which was a factor in his off-court troubles.  As a FA signee (the only way I could see him returning), various conditions can be included in the contract to ensure he continues to get what he needs off-court to be productive when it counts.  So it really is low-risk, but it takes an understanding of his situation to see that. 

He could be available at an incredible bargain for his talent level.  He's a proven rotation player on a top team after all...

It's not easily managed if he doesn' take his medication.  I just don't see Danny taking that risk.  And I don't think he fits with this team anyway.  We need someone who can defend elite wings and Delonte won't cut it.  We need someone who can handle the ball and deal with ball pressure, Delonte can't do that either, so I don't see how he fits with this team.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
No thanks...
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
Trade Sherwin Williams for him today in a heart beat

DW....my boy!!!!

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Would rather have a bigger combo wing like Mike Miller who can spell both Pierce and Ray Allen (assuming he comes back).  Acquiring Delonte doesn't do anything to lessen Pierce's load, we'd still need to find another bigger wing.  Key to keeping this team competitive for another two seasons is going to be keeping Pierce's minutes down.

Would rather get someone like Earl Watson at the veteran minimum for the ten or fifteen minutes a game that Rondo's not playing; what money does get spent this offseason should go to a true backup SF.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
With only $500K guaranteed of $4.6 million, his trade value is to a team looking to dump salary.  IF they find a taker, they'll likely be looking to get a talented role player (as he is) who may be overpaid, but look to get a pick as well.  Then Delonte gets cut by Aug 5th and becomes an unrestricted FA, but not until Aug. 5th, when the FA market should hopefully have sorted itself out.

Meaning...

Delonte could be one of those players that becomes available for very cheap money.

This.

No need to trade for him, as whoever does will likely do it for cap savings ("Hello, Miami? Is Michael Beasley really available for a partially guaranteed contract?"), and then cut him.

He's been here before, and knows what playing in Boston is like. I'd be OK with signing him, as long as it's not for much money or for long years. Maybe a small chunk of the MLE. Half might be pushing it.

Oh, and I'd like to know the outcome of his pending court case on gun charges before even thinking about signing him.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Would rather have a bigger combo wing like Mike Miller who can spell both Pierce and Ray Allen (assuming he comes back).  Acquiring Delonte doesn't do anything to lessen Pierce's load, we'd still need to find another bigger wing.  Key to keeping this team competitive for another two seasons is going to be keeping Pierce's minutes down.

Would rather get someone like Earl Watson at the veteran minimum for the ten or fifteen minutes a game that Rondo's not playing; what money does get spent this offseason should go to a true backup SF.

Delonte, or a player like Delonte, would be an interesting fit for the C's.  Part of the problem with the situation now is that no point guard is going to relish the opportunity to come here, since he'll be stuck behind Rondo.  The nice thing about West is that he could backup the 1 and 2 spots, easily finding himself 25 mpg.  Then let TA settle in to be Pierce's primary backup, which will also mean that the days of TA bringing up the court are over, which is a win for everyone. 

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
I guess it's because I've been spoiled wiith these teams the last few yers that i DO NOT want delonte. I loved delonte here and i still like him a lot. I love his attitude and he's a guy I've pulled for when he is not playing the c's. But I always felt a little MORE confident when he was on the court for cleveland. I think he plays very hard but I think he's shaky out there. He reminds me somewhat of farmar for L.A. He's a hustler but he's not a guy I personally want out there in a championship series. We have a similar guy that I would say is somewhat of a wildcard in Tony Allen but Tony pretty much consistently brings the defense, so much so that it's still worth him in there if he's shaky with the ball.