Author Topic: To trade or not to trade Lebron James  (Read 7560 times)

To trade or not to trade Lebron James
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It doesn't take a genius to know that james is heading to ny(nets or knicks) when he becomes a FA. Charles comment was right but he shouldn't have said "shut up". I do feel sort of bad for the cavs because lebron is their team pretty much.

If i were paxon i would have an honest talk with lebron and try to offer a prospective max deal right now and see what his reaction looks like. Most likely he or his agent will reply with a no thank you at this time meaning see you later at 2010.

Paxon should at that point think about making a trade regardless of how hard that might be to swallow. You will get a fantantic deal if he were dealt by this year and less fantastic if he were dealt next year.

Possible trades for lebron and a small role player

To GS for Monta Ellis, Biedrins, Steven Jackson, 1st round pick

To LA clippers with big Z for Kaman, Al Thornton, Eric Gordon and 1st round pick

To Kings for Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson and Miki Moore

Cavs will prob not trade Lebron this year since they believe they have a chance to win it all(also that could prob change his mind to stay), but on the other side of the coin in the long run you might lose him for insignificant return via trade or for nothing.

Re: To trade or not to trade Lebron James
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
If I was a Cavs fan, and they traded LeBron to Sacramento for Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson, and Mikki Moore, I would drive my car through Danny Ferry's office window.

The Cavs think they can resign him, and they have to at least try. They have pieces in place that they can try to win now if they make a nice move or two.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone who would take him and give you equal value in return, just because those teams would have to bankrupt their talent pool and leave themeselves without a contender which means LeBron will leave them in 2010. i can't see a team willing to screw themselves over so they can't win a title.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You cannot trade him unless he asks to be traded or has stated he will not resign with the Cavs. Talents like LBJ/KG/TD/Shaq/Bird etc. are too rare. It is also almost impossible to win a title without one.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
You guys are forgetting...it's all about money. There's too much money to be made in Cleveland over the next two years with LeBron. Monta/Biedrins/whatever isn't going to do it, neither is Eric Gordon and Thornton. CLE will be a legit contender for two years, win at least one title, rake in a ton of cash in the process, all because of LeBron, and then do the best they can afterwards.

On the flip side -- almost anyone would trade for him. You're crazy if you think otherwise. Any team that acquired LeBron would sell out their arena for the next two years, sell countless jerseys, get on TV constantly...follow the $$$
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Bringing him in to talk about his new contract a year and a half before it ends doesnt make any sense, because as much as we all like to think this has everything to do with money, winning multiple titles is just as important.  Lebrons decision will be based on the Cavs situation in 2010, along with the money. 

Not to mention, the Cavs are playing some of the best ball in the NBA right now, yeah its been a little stupid of Lebron to encourage all the FA talk, but if I'm the Cavs, given the amount of money I'll be able to offer in 2010, and the way the teams playing right now, I actually like my situation.  Lebron may be encouraging all the FA talk, but that doesnt necessarily mean hes leaving.  One thing that's not hard to tell about Lebron James, is that he loves attention. 
Greg

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
If I was a Cavs fan, and they traded LeBron to Sacramento for Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson, and Mikki Moore, I would drive my car through Danny Ferry's office window.

The hardest I've laughed over the last couple of days.  So true.  Thanks, Hoyo.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:34:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
CLE will be a legit contender for two years, win at least one title, rake in a ton of cash in the process, all because of LeBron, and then do the best they can afterwards.

Strong words!  Bulletin board material for PP and team?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
CLE will be a legit contender for two years, win at least one title, rake in a ton of cash in the process, all because of LeBron, and then do the best they can afterwards.

Strong words!  Bulletin board material for PP and team?

They're my pick to win it this year. There's no sign that LeBron could get hurt (unlike our aging cast) and they have so much flexibility, weirdly, because of their bad contracts of various lengths. And I really think that Bron is that good.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Lebron James for Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, or....No nobody. Lebron james is the best player in the NBA.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 05:07:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I know there will be a ton of teams under the cap, including the Cavs, when LBJ is a free agent, but I can guarantee you LBJ will pressure whatever team he wants to go to to do a sign and trade so he can maximize the money.  Since he is unrestricted the Cavs have no ability to keep him, but the lure of extra money to LBJ might mean they can get something for LBJ leaving.  And since he would likely go to a team under the cap, the Cavs wouldn't have to take much, if any, contracts back.  In other words the Cavs could get a first or two or some young players from LBJ's new destination just so that new team keeps LBJ as happy as possible.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 06:12:41 PM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
If I'm the Cavs, no way do I trade Lebron:

1. Cavs are legit contenders...right now I have them at 3 behind the Celtics and Lakers. Given our age, and the favoritism from the refs that LBJ will get in the playoffs, it's possible they could come out of the east. Plus, the Cavs could turn around and use some expiring deals to bring in another quality player, thereby increasing their chances even more.

2. If the Cavs are convinced he's leaving, why not work out a sign and trade in the summer of 2010? Or if he does leave for nothing, use the excess $ to sign free agents of their own (i.e. Joe Johnson, Amare, etc.).

3. The Cavs still have as good a chance at signing LBJ as anyone out there. He's from Ohio, and I wouldn't underestimate the allure of being a hometown hero. He can make more money playing in CLE, and can still achieve global icon status in this day and age despite being in Ohio.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 07:41:23 PM »

Offline LuckyIrish

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
If and thats a big If Cleveland were looking to move Lebron mid season this year would Ray Allen, Rondo and Big Baby Plus picks which I'm not sure if we have much to give for Lebron and D-West work for both teams? And what other trades could other teams put together to outbid that? If it were to happen I would want TA starting and D-West 6th man, Thoughts?

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
If the Cavs were to trade LBJ for Ray Allen, Rondo, Baby plus picks...there would be a riot in Cleveland following that fleecing. Ray is almost 34 and well past his prime, and Rondo is a solid PG but hardly a superstar. The Cavs would have to get a helluva lot more than that to even entertain trading away Lebron. I'm talking things like:

Portland for Aldridge and Roy
Phoenix for Stoudemire
Golden State for Ellis and Biedrins
Dallas for Howard, Terry, and picks
Memphis for Mayo and Gay

At the end of the day, no way does Cleveland trade him I don't think.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If and thats a big If Cleveland were looking to move Lebron mid season this year would Ray Allen, Rondo and Big Baby Plus picks which I'm not sure if we have much to give for Lebron and D-West work for both teams? And what other trades could other teams put together to outbid that? If it were to happen I would want TA starting and D-West 6th man, Thoughts?

You'd need a younger star than Ray because there's no way without LeBron that they sign a max free agent in 2010.