Author Topic: Who is Available and do you think the Celtics could trade for?  (Read 8074 times)

Re: Who is Available and do you think the Celtics could trade for?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well it seems that Pistons fans have gotten the notion that McDyess will be cut by the Nuggets, and could possibly make a return to Detroit. If that situation were to happen Maybe we could steal him with what's left of our MLE (assuming we signed Tony with his bird rights) while he's still out there.

Didn't we renounce any rights we had for TA? We decided not to tender a qualifying offer to him. I assume we used the MLE to sign him and Eddie House, and perhaps Walker.

I'm pretty sure that not offering a qualifying offer to TA has nothing to do with wether we have Bird Rights for TA or not.

That's correct.  There's a difference between renouncing a player and not extending them a qualifying offer.

If you renounce a free agent, you can only resign them two ways:  1) using the minimum salary exception, or 2) using room under the salary cap.  Renouncing a player removes any cap holds that players former salary may have on your cap.

Declining to offer a player a qualifying offer makes that player an unrestricted free agent, meaning that the Celtics gave up their right to match any contract Tony received.  They did not give up their Bird rights to him, however. 

The team signed Tony using Bird rights, and signed House and I believe Walker with the MLE.  There are conflicting reports on whether we gave POB more than a minimum deal, but if we did, it was by using the bi-annual exception, rather than the MLE.

This is a bit off topic, but have you seen anything about whether Walker was signed for 3 years, or the standard 2 years, or are you just speculating?