Author Topic: no celtics your ideal top of the lottery  (Read 2766 times)

no celtics your ideal top of the lottery
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I feel really confident that this draft with play out with Zion as the clear tier 1 with Morant and Barrett sharing the tier 2 for most teams.

As a fan of the NBA with those three being the top pick in the draft who other then the celtics do you want to see land the top 3 picks tonight?

My ideal

#1 New Orleans,
  I wouldn't hate to see them rewarded for the BS Davis put them through this season. By retaining Holiday and trading AD the Pelicans could put a decent cast around Zion for his rookie season.

#2 Suns
 They need a PG and Morant could be special. If they draft Morant I also hope they bring in a vet mentor type guard who can both back him up and play along side him.

#3 Memphis
 Might not be the best for the Cs pick next year but I like the idea of drafting Barrett to pair with JJJ. I would hope if this happens they actually keep Conely to provide leadership for their two young potential stars.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: no celtics your ideal top of the lottery
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Assuming Boston ends up at 14 this is what I would like to see.

1. Cavs - Williamson
2. Grizzlies - Morant
3. Hawks - Barrett
4. Bulls - Hachimura

I don't want to see the Suns or Pelicans rewarded for their nonsense and I live in the greater Cleveland area so that is the only reason I wouldn't mind seeing Zion end up in Cleveland (though the Cavs shouldn't necessarily be rewarded either).  I like what the Hawks have done and think adding Barrett to Young would be a nice duo and I want the Grizzlies to trade Conley this summer so giving them Morant will hopefully lead to that.  I think Hachimura is a nice fit with the Bulls young players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
until the lottery is over, I'm not giving up that sliver of hope that Sac jumps to #2. 

That said, of the other teams in the lottery, the only one that could get #1 that wouldn't aggravate me is probably Atlanta. 
- They've never had the #1 before
- If they get Zion they're likely to keep him to be a solid building block with Young
- if they get better, they're in a different division than the C's and they don't really figure to impact the C's ability to win it all anytime soon.

Everyone else has either already won (hate repeat winners like the Cavs), has a pick that impacts us (Memphis, Sac) or would screw with our ability to trade or contend (Knicks/Lakers primarily)

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
1 - Atlanta
2 - Memphis
3 - Dallas
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
1 - Atlanta
2 - Memphis
3 - Dallas

It seems like alot of people want to see Zion in ATL. Dont get me wrong he is an amazing player, the clear #1, and a cant miss allstar (if he stays healthy) but I worry about his fit with Young. On offense they should be great but I feel they would be projecting into the Nash/Amare Suns mold. Young will be heavily exploited by other teams in the playoffs and for all of his unworldly physical gifts I worry that Zion's sub elite length and height is going to limit him as a help defender. The could easily form the best tandum in the league that can't win a playoff series.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wouldn't mind New Orleans winning the lottery because then New York can't offer them Zion for AD.

Or Dallas. A trio of Luka, KP and Zion would be awesome and entertaining. Add in some free agents and that team could be sweet
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Surprised a couple of you guys have Memphis top three, since it helps the Celtics if Memphis selects 8th this year and 6th next year. That should minimalize the Grizzlies being able to improve and heighten the chance the Memphis pick conveys unprotected and be as high as possible.

For me, if Zion is going to be a monster, I want him out West so the Celtics don't have to go through him every year to win a title. So since I like Dallas ever since they beat Miami in 2011, I think Zion going to Dallas would really make for an amazing and intriguing frontcourt of Doncic, Porzingas and Williamson. That trio could be devastating in 3 years.

So then where do I want to see Morant end up? I think it might make for some fun drama if Washington gets the 2nd pick. Do they take Morant and then spend all next year trying to dump Wall on someone? I think they would and having a Morant/Beal duo to build around would be great for the Wiz but probably keeps them in the high lottery to low playoff seed, so no threat to Boston.

Then for the 3rd pick I hope the Suns get the pick. With Bridges, Jackson and possibly a resigned Oubre, the Suns don't need another wing in Barrett, so they could put that pick up for a trade. Maybe they are stupid enough to trade that pick to Boston so Danny could reach on a PG if Kyrie and Rozier aren't around next season. Probably not. The Suns are idiots. They will just add Barrett to Booker, Bridges, Jackson and Oubre. Seems like a Suns thing to do.

So....

1. Dallas
2. Washington
3. Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Surprised a couple of you guys have Memphis top three, since it helps the Celtics if Memphis selects 8th this year and 6th next year. That should minimalize the Grizzlies being able to improve and heighten the chance the Memphis pick conveys unprotected and be as high as possible.

I know that ideally we want Memphis to get 8 this year and 6 next.

But if I'm saying which three teams are most deserving of a top 3 pick (and that I think won't ruin the guy they draft), it's Atlanta, Memphis, Dallas.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

For me, if Zion is going to be a monster, I want him out West so the Celtics don't have to go through him every year to win a title. So since I like Dallas ever since they beat Miami in 2011, I think Zion going to Dallas would really make for an amazing and intriguing frontcourt of Doncic, Porzingas and Williamson. That trio could be devastating in 3 years.

So then where do I want to see Morant end up? I think it might make for some fun drama if Washington gets the 2nd pick. Do they take Morant and then spend all next year trying to dump Wall on someone? I think they would and having a Morant/Beal duo to build around would be great for the Wiz but probably keeps them in the high lottery to low playoff seed, so no threat to Boston.

Then for the 3rd pick I hope the Suns get the pick. With Bridges, Jackson and possibly a resigned Oubre, the Suns don't need another wing in Barrett, so they could put that pick up for a trade. Maybe they are stupid enough to trade that pick to Boston so Danny could reach on a PG if Kyrie and Rozier aren't around next season. Probably not. The Suns are idiots. They will just add Barrett to Booker, Bridges, Jackson and Oubre. Seems like a Suns thing to do.

So....

1. Dallas
2. Washington
3. Phoenix

Nah Idk what pick they get they still have to survive the east either way. If they get a high pick then that’s just another rookie in their starting rotation and I don’t see how that’s putting them in the playoffs 🤷🏽‍♂️

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
#1 New Orleans - I want them to be able to rebuild post AD

#2 Minnesota - Give them something just nice enough so maybe Towns won't eventually bolt to team up with other superstars

#3 Washington or Charlotte - Neither will be a real threat to us

#4 Memphis - I know its better for us if Memphis gets #8 but I don't see a huge difference between 4 and 8 in this draft and I'd like Minnesota to get Morant.  There are not 4 teams in the 1-7 range that I wish to land a top 3 pick.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
1. Zion to Knicks

I want to see this guy as much as possible in person. Being in the division makes that possible.

2. Morant to Cavs.

This would open up an Irving back up plan to deal Hayward and picks for Smith, Clarkson and Sexton.

3. Barrett to Wiz

Opens up Beal trades. Rumors would be interesting.

4. Garland to Suns

Suns seem like the kind of team that would take a shot at Garland this would be drama.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I saw some say New Orleans because they could build after losing Davis. Do you guys think if New Orleans gets the #1 pick that the Pels could talk Davis into staying, signing his supermax and building going forward around Davis, Zion and Holiday?

I think New Orleans getting the #1 pick hurts the Celtics chances of landing Davis.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No way to New Orleans. They got Anthony Davis and they blew it. Their dysfunctional organization does not deserve to get another top young player to screw over. Screw them.

Save the player. Screw them.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I know that ideally we want Memphis to get 8 this year and 6 next.

But if I'm saying which three teams are most deserving of a top 3 pick (and that I think won't ruin the guy they draft), it's Atlanta, Memphis, Dallas.
I gave Memphis Morant because I want them to trade Conley.  Both because I like Conley (and don't want him to spend his last good years on a crappy team) and also because I'd rather just have the pick not convey and if Conley is on the team I think it will likely convey next summer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 12:23:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I want to see the Knicks get good. I want them to get the #1 pick. They have been struggling for a long time and I find the league more fun when it's older teams / flagship teams are doing well. I want the Knicks back near the top of the league.

I don't like Cleveland. Boring place. Furthermore, they have had more than enough luck in the lottery in recent times. 3 straight #1 picks plus LeBron James as the #1 pick. Nah. I want nothin' but bad luck for Cleveland for the foreseeable future in the lottery.

Chicago are good enough already. I don't want them to be lucky in the lottery. Their GM already sanEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ged last season - purposely tanking in order to get a higher pick. That rubs me the wrong way too. The Bulls already have a team that is good enough to be .500 next year. I don't want them getting a top 3 pick on top of that.

Phoenix are a train-wreck. Another team that has shown no commitment to winning in recent years. Seems happier losing and trying to get lucky in the lottery. Despite already having two top talents in Booker and Ayton. Screw that and screw them.

I don't like the Washington Wizards. That team is an ugly funk. Let them stay that way for awhile until they clean house. No need to get a young prospect messed up in their garbage.

Atlanta, yeah maybe. They are trying. I like that. Trae Young is fun enough (for the most part). Maybe that could get interesting with another top young player.

Miami = yeah, I like Miami. I like how Riley runs that team. Top quality organization. Great owner. Great GM. Very good head coach with a top coaching staff around him. LeBron screwed them over when he bolted. I'd like to see Miami get back on track.

Charlotte = nope, I like seeing MJ flounder.

LA Lakers = not completely against LA. I like LeBron. It would be nice to see him get some help so that we can enjoy his final years playing on good teams. Most likely in the form of a trade for a veteran.

Minnesota = gross mismanagement over last few years. They don't deserve to be bailed out. They are already screwing over Karl Anthony Towns. Free Towns! Free Towns!

That leaves Memphis. Yeah, I'd be happy enough to see Memphis do well in the lottery. I like Jaren Jackson. It would be good to see him get some help. Organization is fairly good. Not wild about Memphis as a whole though. I'd like to see that franchise fail there and move to a more interesting location. Like Seattle.

So that is:

#1 - NY Knicks

Then some combination of Hawks, Heat, Lakers or Grizzlies.

#2 - Heat
#3 - Lakers

Yeah, I'd be most interested in seeing LA do well rather than Memphis getting back to midtable mediocrity. Hawks is tempting but I am still not a big fan of small high usage offensive PGs. I'd rather see LeBron get help.