Author Topic: Report: Irving has grown 'Disengaged, Detached' From Celtics  (Read 5906 times)

Report: Irving has grown 'Disengaged, Detached' From Celtics
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Remember when he did you with the cavs?

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/3/4/18249721/boston-celtics-kyrie-irving-brad-stevens-crisis

According to sources close to the team, Kyrie Irving's "persona has changed." Irving has reportedly become "disengaged and detached from those around the team."

Sources say the change began in early February around the time he was asked about the possibility of signing with the New York Knicks.

Irving's closest friend on the Boston Celtics is Jayson Tatum, who also went to Duke and is represented by Jeffrey Wechsler.

Before the start of the season, Irving told a gathering of season-ticket holders of the Celtics that he intended to re-sign with the team as a free agent. Sources say Irving also expressed the same commitment to his teammates.

Re: Report: Irving has grown 'Disengaged, Detached' From Celtics
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Oh but it's totally not Kyrie's fault that the team is in a funk, it's all because fans and media talk about him too much.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:44:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Oh but it's totally not Kyrie's fault that the team is in a funk, it's all because fans and media talk about him too much.
The media wrecked the locker room!  Funny that the media never wrecked our locker room before we got Irving though.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

If you're trying to make the point that Kyrie is the primary problem with this team, then frankly I don't know what to tell you. He's part of the problem, but he's certainly not the only one nor is he the primary one.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Former CB writer Kevin O’Connor seems like a nice enough guy, but he has never struck me as having legitimate NBA sources, in Boston’s front office or elsewhere.

If sources are telling him that Kyrie looks disenchanted, I assume that’s because they are watching the games and seeing the same thing we all are. He appears at times frustrated, and at other times disengaged during some of our recent losses

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Former CB writer Kevin O’Connor seems like a nice enough guy, but he has never struck me as having legitimate NBA sources, in Boston’s front office or elsewhere.

If sources are telling him that Kyrie looks disenchanted, I assume that’s because they are watching the games and seeing the same thing we all are. He appears at times frustrated, and at other times disengaged during some of our recent losses

He looks really disengaged on the Celtics instagram story  ::)
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 11:57:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The media wrecked the locker room!  Funny that the media never wrecked our locker room before we got Irving though.

Eh. We’ve had plenty of locker room problems over the years.  The difference is that club media amplifies everything more now than they did even a couple of years ago. 

We have seen the same thing in 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015, at the very least,  and that is just stuff that was public at the time. Add one of the biggest media lightning rods in the NBA, and things get blown up to the point of absurdity.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

If you're trying to make the point that Kyrie is the primary problem with this team, then frankly I don't know what to tell you. He's part of the problem, but he's certainly not the only one nor is he the primary one.

I'm jeering at the folks who decry that Kyrie is an innocent who just wants to play ball, darn it, if these media types and spoiled fans would just let him be.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
This team's attitude and the media surrounding it does remind me of those Cavs teams that made the finals four straight seasons. Kyrie was there for three. This team feels like a group that's bored by the regular season and wants to coast until the playoffs. For Kyrie that's reasonable enough, since he's been to three finals and that was the M.O. of his team. Not so justified for this team, but we'll see what happens in April.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I agree he looks detached, but is it because he's leaving or because he knows half the team will be gone next year and DA punted on this year?

These unnamed sources don't have the answers I'm looking for, nor have I ever known KOC to have Celtics sources, as Roy pointed out .  I've gone from thinking Kyrie will likely re-sign to thinking that it's about 50/50 either way, but this report doesn't change anything for me.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
This team's attitude and the media surrounding it does remind me of those Cavs teams that made the finals four straight seasons. Kyrie was there for three. This team feels like a group that's bored by the regular season and wants to coast until the playoffs. For Kyrie that's reasonable enough, since he's been to three finals and that was the M.O. of his team. Not so justified for this team, but we'll see what happens in April.

Is it justified for Kyrie?

When has he been the best player on a team that 's had any real success?

His complaint this year boils down to "I resent all of the burden and responsibility that comes with being the franchise player."

Yet he requested a trade from the Cavs supposedly because he wanted to be a franchise player.

Part of being a franchise player means taking responsibility for pushing the team through the doldrums of the season.

The Celtics are not good enough and have not accomplished nearly enough to act like the regular season doesn't matter.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Small guards don't win championships.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Oh boy, JB just called this team “toxic.” Pretty sure he’s referring to Irving.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823623-celtics-news-jaylen-brown-says-bos-needs-to-fix-toxic-environment-around-team

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 12:58:05 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823623-celtics-news-jaylen-brown-says-bos-needs-to-fix-toxic-environment-around-team

While it may in fact be....

I think its just completely face value here.

the combination of losing, media, trade rumors, guys playing for contracts, guys feeling they arent playing enough, guys feeling some shouldnt be playing, coach favoritisms.....these are all straws and the team is the camels back.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

More alarmist than anything.  not much there other than "we need to right the ship and I'm going to be part of the effort".