Author Topic: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon  (Read 109756 times)

Re: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Thoughts on this
1. I'm extremely skeptical of a report that on one hand says a deal is close and on the other indicates we won't give up a Brooklyn pick. I just don't believe we can get a deal done without a least one Brooklyn pick.

2. The idea of Rudy Gay as part of the deal makes me happy. If LAC adds Gay then I think there is a higher chance we can keep Crowder

3. I expect Bradley to be the best player we trade away, maybe I'm reading too much into the fact that he didn't come to the Durant or the Horford meeting.

4. The C's can create around $12.5 MM in cap space by sending Zizic and Yabu overseas, pulling Zeller's QO and waiving John Holland. I think this could play a factor in a deal.

5. People are sleeping on Blake. We haven't had anyone like him in transition in a long time. He's a plus rebounder which we need (his numbers have recently dipped due to playing with DeAndre). Griffin can handle the ball, create for others and is probably better than any player on the C's in the pick and roll since I've been alive. He's underrated on the defensive end becauseh e came into the league as a poor defender.

6. Here is a trade I think makes sense for everyone, I'm not sure which picks we would need to send where though
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=j2m953n

The issue with that trade is what do we then give up for Westbrook if we are going after him?  I 'd be somewhat happy with Blake and call it a day and keep our best young guys.  We'd still have Crowder and Smart and Brown and Jerebko. We'd be pretty thin at guard behind Isaiah and Smart though. Our roster would be somewhat unbalanced.
I'd expect either a Westbrook or a Blake deal, to bring in both seems unlikely.

Completely agree that we would be thin at guard after, the hope would be that we could sign someone to play back up guard minutes or trade for a guy like Tyreke Evans.

I think we are trying to get Blake to then get Westbrook to sign an extension with us before he goes to the lakers.  I think if DA is in he is all in here and not shortchanging anything overly.  Westbrook is still out there more than blake though.

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think Danny wants to keep the BKN picks.

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
If we get Westbrook and Blake, Isaiah can take the celtics in nba 2k17 against GS and not feel shortchanged too much.

Westbrook, Horford, Isaiah, Blake plus our young guys can compete with anyone.

i don't think Isaiah would have any issue being james harden on that team either as long as he gets paid eventually.

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
Even though I love the prospect of signing Blake, are the Celtics the same gritty, defensive team if we trade Crowder?

We are a slightly less gritty team that makes it past the first round of the playoffs.

Deadmik3™ ‏@StonewallSieve  3m3 minutes ago Watertown, MA
Celtics "very close" to a deal for Griffin.

As close as we were to a deal for Westbrook yesterday?  ::) Apparently, that one was all but done (at least until Bulpett put it to bed).

Mike

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I fully believe Danny is still calling about acquiring all-stars. But all these rumors one after another just scream of trying to fill a sports news void.

I tend to agree but I think Ainge is trying and of course it could happen if the stars align.

People don't often enough say it's in the media's interest to create new stories for page views.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2016, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919

We get no Griffin without the BKN picks, although I wouldn't trade one of them unless we had an agreement for that second year.

Mike

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

We get no Griffin without the BKN picks, although I wouldn't trade one of them unless we had an agreement for that second year.

Mike

Still wary of trading for players on short term deals, mainly because a verbal gentleman's agreement in today's day and age doesn't mean squat.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »

Offline justice

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
Yeah this is silly. If we're trying to get a top 20 NBA player, I'm sorry- you will HAVE to give up AT LEAST 1 of the Brooklyn picks and at least one of starters. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ok I've fallen for it.   I believe this will happen make it happen Danny boy.  I still wonder if we have enough.   nba 2k is fun anyways and people who scoff at it don't know how to have fun. It will be more fun with Blake Griffin too just like real life.

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2016, 12:03:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Thoughts on this
1. I'm extremely skeptical of a report that on one hand says a deal is close and on the other indicates we won't give up a Brooklyn pick. I just don't believe we can get a deal done without a least one Brooklyn pick.

2. The idea of Rudy Gay as part of the deal makes me happy. If LAC adds Gay then I think there is a higher chance we can keep Crowder

3. I expect Bradley to be the best player we trade away, maybe I'm reading too much into the fact that he didn't come to the Durant or the Horford meeting.

4. The C's can create around $12.5 MM in cap space by sending Zizic and Yabu overseas, pulling Zeller's QO and waiving John Holland. I think this could play a factor in a deal.

5. People are sleeping on Blake. We haven't had anyone like him in transition in a long time. He's a plus rebounder which we need (his numbers have recently dipped due to playing with DeAndre). Griffin can handle the ball, create for others and is probably better than any player on the C's in the pick and roll since I've been alive. He's underrated on the defensive end becauseh e came into the league as a poor defender.

6. Here is a trade I think makes sense for everyone, I'm not sure which picks we would need to send where though

Quality post. TP.

I really don't think Westbrook's game fits Stevens' style - far too ball dominant and shot selection leaves a lot to be desired, plus I think the franchise is heavily invested in Thomas so he's the third leg of the Big 3 stool.

So I completely agree: I think Griffin is the only serious deal.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I fully expect, by tomorrow, we'll be "really close" to a trade with Philly for one of their bigs.   Then, when the weekend comes and goes, "sources" will indicate that Sac is again "mulling" a Cousins deal with the C's as the "most likely" destination.  Once that gets shot down, Chicago will have "re-engaged" on the Butler front. 

By the fall, your Boston Celtics will look like this:

IT , Rozier
AB, Smart
Crowder, Brown
Horford, KO
Amir, Zeller

Then we'll do this dance all over again in Dec/Jan/Feb.   

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think he, at least, wants to keep the '17 swap.  I could see him being a little more open about '18. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Crowder, rozier and nets 2017

Please dont include brown ,ko or smart

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Thoughts on this

You're trade proposal seems reasonable but I just can't help but think that they would want Crowder instead of Bradley so they could play a lot of small ball with Crowder/Gay. I'd rather keep Crowder, but it may not be possible.

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Thoughts on this

Quality post. TP.

I really don't think Westbrook's game fits Stevens' style - far too ball dominant and shot selection leaves a lot to be desired, plus I think the franchise is heavily invested in Thomas so he's the third leg of the Big 3 stool.

So I completely agree: I think Griffin is the only serious deal.
   Westbrook is s top 5 guy. The coach needs to change his style in my opinion for the better of the team. A great coach can coach more than one style.