Author Topic: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon  (Read 109742 times)

Re: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Horford doesn't want to play Center

He said he will play center and can play 4 or 5.  Do you want to put money on him playing center for us mostly?  He is going to be playing center.  He just came from a team where he was playing center.

I think Amir plays 24ish mins at Center, and yes Horford probably takes the rest. From what I had heard from live game commentators and various sources the last few years, he wanted to go back to being a primary 4, but if he said he doesn't mind then great!

I have heard talk of that too but I think it's maybe from years ago and who knows how realistic even.  He is a smart guy and can see that he needs to play C in the current NBA.  His most recent talk on the subject, from interviews, he said he can play 4 or 5.  He's just ready to do whatever is needed I think which is good.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 10:24:12 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This makes much more sense and is from more reputable sources. The Celtics haven't reached out to Westbrooks reps yet I totally believe. He's not a good fit for this team. Griffin however is. Doc is going to have a hard time moving any all-star vet though, but he has to eventually accept his teams situation.

This is the sticky wicket...does Doc think that his team, as currently constituted, have even a small chance to beat the Warriors in a 7 game series?

Maybe with some breaks he thinks they have a shot, thus him holding off trading anyone.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 10:25:21 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's really hard for me to see this deal occurring.  Griffin has such a high salary, it takes a lot of outgoing salary to match.  Meanwhile, Gay as an outgoing piece for Sacramento doesn't make enough for all of the salary to go back that direction from Boston.

This deal would work salary wise and seems like a solid starting point before picks are factored in.

Boston
Griffin
Koufus

LAC
Gay
Jerebko

Sacramento
Bradley
A. Johnson

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 10:25:30 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Horford doesn't want to play Center

He said he will play center and can play 4 or 5.  Do you want to put money on him playing center for us mostly?  He is going to be playing center.  He just came from a team where he was playing center.

I think Amir plays 24ish mins at Center, and yes Horford probably takes the rest. From what I had heard from live game commentators and various sources the last few years, he wanted to go back to being a primary 4, but if he said he doesn't mind then great!

I have heard talk of that too but I think it's maybe from years ago and who knows how realistic even.  He is a smart guy and can see that he needs to play C in the current NBA.  His most recent talk on the subject, from interviews, he said he can play 4 or 5.  He's just ready to do whatever is needed I think which is good.

Ah great thanks for the update, good to hear he is on board with Brads plan. Would be curious to know who plays 'Center' when he is paired with Olynyk or Amir ie. who rolls and and hangs on the 3pt line, as Horford improved his 3pt shot last season.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
It continues to be nothing but rumors about speculation and speculation about rumors.  There's not really a need for a new thread each time someone new does the speculating or rumor mongering, IMO. 

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It continues to be nothing but rumors about speculation and speculation about rumors.  There's not really a need for a new thread each time someone new does the speculating or rumor mongering, IMO.

But what else are we going to do?   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
It's really hard for me to see this deal occurring.  Griffin has such a high salary, it takes a lot of outgoing salary to match.  Meanwhile, Gay as an outgoing piece for Sacramento doesn't make enough for all of the salary to go back that direction from Boston.

This deal would work salary wise and seems like a solid starting point before picks are factored in.

Boston
Griffin
Koufus

LAC
Gay
Jerebko

Sacramento
Bradley
A. Johnson

I believe it's Crowder, not AB.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
wow.. I still really prefer Cousins over Griffin or even Westbrook at this point.. I even created a post saying send both BK picks to get him... also factor in his salary over the next few years.. But if this is the plan to get Griffin it get it ... Next years draft has two players that could be prime time .. When watching both I get the Andrew Wiggins or even Lebron James sort of feel... meaning they are so far ahead of the curve and look like NBA all stars as high schoolers ... if you have been living in a cave its Jackson and Giles... So in essence you give up the 18' pick and still have a shot in draft a once in 10 year player... Now there is time and how they play in college can also alter my perception of the two..

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
@SeanDeveney:
@celticsblog From the calls they've been making, they seem to think they will have roster spots.

@Celticsblog:
@SeanDeveney meaning they are preparing follow up deals to fill out the roster?

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
We'd need a big man, because Griffin alone will only make us smaller because he's really only 6'7" or 6'8".

Excellent player that fits in to be sure, just smaller than 6'10".

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 10:47:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think this could be good for the Celtics so I am happy to see more "traffic" on this.  It does seem to be the same thing others have said just rehashed.

My question is what value does Rudy Gay have.  Do the Clipps/Doc view him as a 20 ppg type guy; a core player?  He is a good player but always a bit of an enigma.  SAC/Doc could view him as good value for Griffin.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Check out Blakes Twitter page, he has a Boston jacket on

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Still, it could be a cheaper alternative, because Doc doesn't like draft picks and prospects, and Gay can't have nearly the acquisition cost of some players, so Sacramento shouldn't need as much in return.  But then again, I can't remember the last time a rumored trade occurred remotely resembling the original rumors, especially one that had been rumored for several days.  Dwight to LA a few years ago sounded like it would happen, but not as a huge four-team deal.

Only need about 9 mill
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I've always got the Jeff green vibe with Rudy Gay. He can be really good one night and barely noticeable other times.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Check out Blakes Twitter page, he has a Boston jacket on
This is not a Boston jacket, and this picture has been there since at least January.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."