Author Topic: East exec talks about Rondo's trade value and Smart  (Read 10314 times)

Re: East exec talks about Rondo's trade value and Smart
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I truly think the most gettable guy is melo. I think at some point he and Phil will mutually agree it's time to part ways. Melo wanted that fifth year $$$ and didn't want the accusations of quitting on NY. Phil would rather get assets for melo then let him walk but it has always seemed like carmelo is not a Phil Jackson guy.

The Knicks are a sinking ship and soon everyone will realize if they haven't already that there is no bandaid for the Knicks. There is no quick fix to make them a contender. Another year of no playoffs won't sit well with melo at this point in his career.

In the next 4-6 weeks Melos PR ppl and Jacksons PR ppl will start making the case how the other guy isn't doing what he's supposed to and is to blame for the Knicks lack of success.

Boston has the assets to get melo if nyc is willing. KO would be a nice fit in the triangle.

I don't like Melo, but he is that go-to-scorer guy this team desperately needs. KO , Jeff Green + a first rounder sound good to them? maybe 2 picks?

Rondo/Smart/Melo/Sully

still need a defensive center though

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I question the credentials of any team exec who thinks that two guards unable to shoot a lick can coexist in the same backcourt successfully.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I question the credentials of any team exec who thinks that two guards unable to shoot a lick can coexist in the same backcourt successfully.

I didn't realize a 20-year old work horse couldn't improve his shot.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I really hope we trade sully over klynyk.  KO's shot next to someone who can command double teams would be amazing, plus you would have rondo there to help move the ball. 

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So Rondo would have more trade value if he had more years on contract or never gotten hurt.... That is brilliant!  No one would guess that. What a perspicacious executive.

And yes how can we forget Rondo is a near max guy but not a go to scorer who carries a team so that can be an issue for  a team that signs him to a max/ near max deal. Truly this Executive is an all enlightening basketball fountain of knowledge.

And Smart not being a PG because he doesn't have "great" court vision is a joke. Any player that can anticipate like Smart, has good vision. Maybe the exec is looking at box scores on assist.  Well Smart needs the ball to get assist if that is what the executive views "great" vision as.

Perhaps if this executive thought something more along the lines of simply winning the position match-up and helping the team win he would be a gm and not just executive.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Because it worked so great for Rondo, right?

Also, how is that related to some exec thinking that he can put Smart and Rondo on the court right now and it can work?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I truly think the most gettable guy is melo. I think at some point he and Phil will mutually agree it's time to part ways. Melo wanted that fifth year $$$ and didn't want the accusations of quitting on NY. Phil would rather get assets for melo then let him walk but it has always seemed like carmelo is not a Phil Jackson guy.

The Knicks are a sinking ship and soon everyone will realize if they haven't already that there is no bandaid for the Knicks. There is no quick fix to make them a contender. Another year of no playoffs won't sit well with melo at this point in his career.

In the next 4-6 weeks Melos PR ppl and Jacksons PR ppl will start making the case how the other guy isn't doing what he's supposed to and is to blame for the Knicks lack of success.

Boston has the assets to get melo if nyc is willing. KO would be a nice fit in the triangle.

Knicks have a boat load of cap space next summer.

How well (or how badly) the Knicks do with that money will decide whether Melo becomes available in the near future or not.

Knicks are actually in a pretty good position to turn around their team and to do so very quickly. Carmelo's future not doomed there.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12

Also, how is that related to some exec thinking that he can put Smart and Rondo on the court right now and it can work?

Smart at this point in his career is far superior to where Rondo was at the same time in terms of shooting. Rondo wasn't even trusted to take the mid range jumper until about 5 seasons into his career. Smart has knocked down some 3's already and his form isn't as broken as Rondo's was.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Smart was a 75% free throw shooter his 2 seasons in college , taking 7.3 free throws per game. I say he has a chance of being a good shooter eventually .

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I see/agree with your points on Rondo and Smart working Koz. Though apparently a few posters have got all defensive and taken the position of potential being "near realizing reality".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:02:29 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You should earmark this for January of next year, since I don't think Anthony leaves, if he leaves (which I doubt) before then.

My personal suspicion is that he'd rather retire as a Knick than win a championship, although in a perfect world he'd do both.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I see agree with your points on Rondo and Smart working Koz. Though apparently a few posters have got all defensive and taken the position of potential being "near realizing reality".

Yes potential, they may not work now, but that doesn't mean they can't develop together especially if Smart gains a jumpsot.

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Knicks have a boat load of cap space next summer.

How well (or how badly) the Knicks do with that money will decide whether Melo becomes available in the near future or not.

Knicks are actually in a pretty good position to turn around their team and to do so very quickly. Carmelo's future not doomed there.

True, but IMO they have many holes.  I think they will need a starting caliber C, PF, and possibly PG as Calderon is up in age.  They have 3 SGs Shumpert, Smith, and Hardaway that are decent but would you want any of them as your starting SG on a championship level team?  I think they have a ton of work to do.

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I see agree with your points on Rondo and Smart working Koz. Though apparently a few posters have got all defensive and taken the position of potential being "near realizing reality".
I liked the Smart pick and still do, even though he's turned in a little less ready than I expected. However, until he develops a semi-reliable three pointer (because I think that ship has sailed for Rondo), starting them together is, forgive the pun, a non-starter.

That's not the point of the unnamed exec, though, since he seems to think the lack of shooting is not a problem. It is.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
So the executive believes the following about Rondo:

• He can't shoot very well
  • Can't carry a team to the playoffs (much less a title)
  • Thinks Rondo is a relentless defender

All these points have been seriously debated here.  Some feel Rondo is a great shooter and can carry a team to a title.  Others argue Rondo is a bad (or at least lazy) defender who gambles too much.

In the end, if you accept that Rondo is not a good shooter and because of that cannot carry a team to the playoffs, then the only reason for not trading him and hoping you can sign him is because you believe that we are more likely to attract a big name FA with Rondo signed.  That may be a winning plan but it has a couple of big "ifs"; if he resigns and if one of the few big time FA come to Boston to join Rondo the Facilitator.

As far as Marcus Smart?  He looks like a PG to me but I think 5 games, or whatever it is, is a bit early to be closing the book on that discussion.