Author Topic: Priority: Josh Smith and Eric Gordon  (Read 10848 times)

Re: Priority: Josh Smith and Eric Gordon
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Smith was 5-20 last night.   Not sure he is the one I would target.

Players since 2009-2010 to have at least two games with 20 or more field goal attempts and no more than 5 makes:

Four: Kobe Bryant, Brandon Jennings
Three: Carmelo Anthony, Monta Ellis
Two:  Aaron Brooks, Tim Duncan, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith

Duncan at least put up ridiculous 27 and 26 rebound totals when he had his bad shooting games.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Smith was 5-20 last night.   Not sure he is the one I would target.

And Pierce was 4 - 14...Should we take away his captain rights?

Smith was 2 assists shy of a triple double last night with only one turnover, nobody in the game had a good shooting night as the final score showed.

This year Smith is averaging 18 points 10 boards 4 assists 2 blocks and a steal and a half per game while shooting 45% from the field... His negatives are his shot selection, and free throw percentage. Anytime you can add a guy who can fill the stat sheet like that while being your number 2 guy you do it.

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 09:23:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I see Smith at best, the finishing piece to a team that already has it's main star.

That's not the Celtics. 

To the Celtics, he will be a good player that is overpayed and hampering them from being able to move forward.  Smith and Rondo has NBA no-mans land written all over them. 

I like Gordon.  I would love to see a Gordon/Rondo back-court.   Just don't see it happening this offseason. 

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
His negatives are his shot selection, and free throw percentage. Anytime you can add a guy who can fill the stat sheet like that while being your number 2 guy you do it.
I'd say utter lack of consistent effort is his negative, this shows up in his shot selection and his maddening defense. He can either be one of the best defenders of the NBA along the lines of LeBron as a disruptor, or he can be completely disinterested in it on any given possession.

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I see Smith at best, the finishing piece to a team that already has it's main star.

That's not the Celtics. 

To the Celtics, he will be a good player that is overpayed and hampering them from being able to move forward.  Smith and Rondo has NBA no-mans land written all over them. 

I like Gordon.  I would love to see a Gordon/Rondo back-court.   Just don't see it happening this offseason. 
I think Eric Gordon and Smith are both similar guys in that ideally they'd be finishing pieces to your contending core third pieces.

But there aren't enough of those high level players in the NBA to go around...

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So, Josh Smith's career 3p% is approximately the same as Sheed's final season, and he likes taking long twos.  He rebounds better than Rasheed Wallace but turns the ball over more.  I'm pretty sure that Josh Smith as a Celtic would end up making fans here more annoyed because of his shot selection than they ever were irritated by Wallace.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
We will have the money to sign these guys next year.

Rondo
Gordon
Pierce
Smith
(Random Center or KG)

Ray off the bench.

What do you guys think?

Smith isnt a FA till 2013 we would have to trade pierce to get him.

ive posted in my "Building around Rondo Thread" the following idea.

Trade Pierce this off season for Milsap try to avoid taking anything more then a 1 year deal player in addition to Milsap.

Resign J Green for around 6 million

Sign Chris Kamam for 2-3 year at 12 mill

Resign Ray Allan to a 1 year 6 million dollar deal

that leaves us 5 million still free if a second player isnt taken on with Milsap

and gives us the following

PG Rondo
SG Ray
SF J Green
PF Milsap
C  Kaman
6th
7th Avery
8th JJJ
9th
10th Steimsma

best case the Cs 6th man spot and 9th man spot are filled by rookies if not vets on a 1 year deals. *Let say for the sake of discussion we draft T Zeller at 18 and Jae Crowder at 21.

2013 the Celtics would have 11-12 Million free to go after FA shooting guards including Deroza, Harden and T Evan. (Might be less with resigning Milsap then its probably 8-9 million free)

possible 2013 lineup

PG Rondo
SG DeMar Deroza
SF J Green
PF Milsap
C  Kaman

6th T Zeller*
7th Avery
8th JJJ
9th Crowder
10th Steimsma

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
the same Eric Gordon thats played 2 games this season nd his career high games played is 62? pass

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:57 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
you guys need to pay attention to players around the league lol @ some people just figuring out about his horrific shot selection dude been gettin booed for takin wide open jumpers at home for years

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:16 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
the same Eric Gordon thats played 2 games this season nd his career high games played is 62? pass
I'm with you.  He's pretty young to always be injured.  I'd take a less talented player who is more likely to actually play in the games.

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

And Pierce was 4 - 14...Should we take away his captain rights?

Smith was 2 assists shy of a triple double last night with only one turnover, nobody in the game had a good shooting night as the final score showed.

This year Smith is averaging 18 points 10 boards 4 assists 2 blocks and a steal and a half per game while shooting 45% from the field... His negatives are his shot selection, and free throw percentage. Anytime you can add a guy who can fill the stat sheet like that while being your number 2 guy you do it.

I live in Atlanta. There is a reason why pretty much everyone here is fed up with Josh Smith.

It is not just shot selection, it is effort. It is walking up the court on fast breaks. It is getting the ball on a fastbreak and then walking to the 3 point line and chucking one. It is not trying on defense to try to get a weakside block.

And it wasn't just a one game thing this 5-20 performance. He's tried 72 threes this season. But worse are his numbers on long 2s.

League leaders in field goal attempts per game from 16-23 feet, and how many of those the player makes:
Kobe Bryant, 7.8 long 2s per game, hits 40% of those
Monta Ellis, 6.4 long 2s per game, hits 38%
Lamarcus Aldridge, 6.2 long 2 fga, 42%
gerald henderson, 6.2 long 2s, 39%
Josh Smith, 5.9 long 2 attempts, 33%

In other words, Josh Smith tries more long 2s than Lebron James, Paul Pierce, KG, Dirk Nowitzki, etc. With a terrible accuracy.

So it is not like Josh Smith has just a problem of shot selection. He has a problem of effort, of motivation, of knowing clear as day what his best play style is, and still focusing on his weaknesses.
I was with a friend from Atlanta watching the game last night. As soon as Josh Smith made the first couple of long 2s, this friend complained that now Josh Smith will keep taking those. People here in Atlanta now explicitly hope that Smith misses his first few long distance attempts so he will play to his strengths, and know that if he hits his first couple that they will be in for a long night.

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
And as a coincidence, this article just came out:

http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2012/03/dalessandro_knicks_mike_woodso.html

look at what is says about Josh Smith and coaches. Even Bibby chimes in saying that Woodson and Smith would fight almost every day.

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »

Offline ChiefDK

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
And as a coincidence, this article just came out:

http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2012/03/dalessandro_knicks_mike_woodso.html

look at what is says about Josh Smith and coaches. Even Bibby chimes in saying that Woodson and Smith would fight almost every day.

I'd rather they forget about Smith and make a play for Millsap when he becomes a free agent in '13.

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I'd rather they forget about Smith and make a play for Millsap when he becomes a free agent in '13.

X2

or try to trade pierce for milsap
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Spin it anyway you want .44% is low FG% for a PF.