Author Topic: Priority: Josh Smith and Eric Gordon  (Read 10849 times)

Re: Priority: Josh Smith and Eric Gordon
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would take gordon or mayo along with smith but i dont think we are going to get either of them unfortunately.

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Maybe we should just draft Josh Smith to play the Big Baby role?

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Uhhh Josh Smith isn't a free agent this offseason...

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

But we'll have more threads on picking up him and Gordon or someone like that...

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 11:00:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Clearly they realized that when he plays like he did tonight, Atlanta will be jumping at the opportunity to give him away to a team with cap space this summer. 

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
lol after watching some of smith's shots this game I dont even think id want him anymore and this is coming from someone who really wanted to pick him up at the deadline somehow...

his decision making in crucial crunch time situations is terrible, I wanted to write him a thank you card after taking that 3

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
To be fair, Josh Smith is having to pretend to be a go-to scorer when he isn't one.  It's not surprising that he's forcing some shots.

A Rondo/Gordon/Pierce/Smith/Garnett lineup, just to play along with the original post, would put Smith anywhere from third to fifth on the offensive pecking order on any given night.  I think his shot selection would likely be much, much better.

Granted, I'm arguing a hypothetical that has no real chance of happening, but I thought it was worth sharing anyway.

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 11:32:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we are to get Smith it would probably be during draft time for a first. I am a huge Smith fan but I think it would be more prudent to keep our draft picks then try to pursue him in 2013.

As for Gordon I think we would have to offer him near the max if not the max to get the Hornets not to match. I've heard he has interest in Indiana. If this is true maybe we could steal Hibbert from them after they make a big offer to Gordon.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Don't see Eric Gordon happening at all. Def see him signing an offer sheet with Indiana this summer, the real question is does NOH match?

Mayo is a far more likely option, and I'm def interested in bringing him here (he also seems interested in playing with Rondo and playing in Boston). I know a lot of folks are down on OJ, but he's proved he can score in this league. The thing that really intrigues me about him is his versatility on the offensive end; he can hit the 3, pull up off the dribble and score midrange, slashing and he's very capable of creating offense for himself. I think he and Rondo could be a dynamic backcourt duo.

As far as Josh Smith, he's not an FA so its a moot point. Yes, we'll have the capspace to absorb his contract but what would we send back to ATL? I think Danny loves Nic Batum and he's the 2nd guy that Danny's going to zero in on. Hard to see Portland not matching though...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 12:25:14 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
To be fair, Josh Smith is having to pretend to be a go-to scorer when he isn't one.  It's not surprising that he's forcing some shots.

A Rondo/Gordon/Pierce/Smith/Garnett lineup, just to play along with the original post, would put Smith anywhere from third to fifth on the offensive pecking order on any given night.  I think his shot selection would likely be much, much better.

Granted, I'm arguing a hypothetical that has no real chance of happening, but I thought it was worth sharing anyway.

No. Smith has been a chucker since he got in the league. He's been a chucker even when the hawks had Crawford with them and Bibbi wasn't decrepid.

I really don't get this infatuation with Josh Smith.

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

No. Smith has been a chucker since he got in the league. He's been a chucker even when the hawks had Crawford with them and Bibbi wasn't decrepid.

I really don't get this infatuation with Josh Smith.

I was pretty high on him until watching him closely tonight, he really has no clue when to shoot and when not to. There's no need to be shooting three's when you have one of the purest perimeter scorers in the league right next to you (Joe Johnson). I've changed by chance on J-Smoove. Let him go to Orlando with Dwight so we can dominate them in the 4th quarter... nobody will even have to cover Smith.

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 01:22:28 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
why don't we focus on signing one solid free agent this summer - a guy that will fit in and will be a Celtic (not Mayo) and concentrate on our draft choices. we can't expect to rebuild all at once again like the Summer of '07.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 06:38:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I don't like Josh's game, but maybe Doc can do something about it.  I'd rather look for someone else though.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Here's an example of how Josh Smith reacts to coaching:

The coach benched Smith midway through the fourth quarter of Atlanta’s win over the Sixers on Friday after he missed a 22-footer and a 20-footer after Drew instructed him to avoid such shots. Smith threw a bit of a tantrum in response. He yelled at Drew as he went to the bench and spent the rest of the game sulking and ignoring team huddles. This is the sort of thing that quickly becomes a dangerous situation for a player and his team.

But Smith, to his credit, apologized immediately after the game...

But Smith went right back to firing away the next night in Miami. Of Smith’s first four shots, one was a 16-foot jumper (he missed) and two were three-pointers that the Heat invited him to take. Smith made both threes, but he appeared to perturb Drew again in doing so. The second Smith released his first three-pointer, Drew got up from his seat on the bench and pointed to another player to get up and check in. No exaggeration here: The shot was still in midair when Drew rose from his seat.

I suspect Doc Rivers will have about as much luck getting Josh Smith to improve his shot selection about as he had reigning in Glen Davis.  The Celtics do need a big who can make jumpers, but they need someone who is good at making those shots and Josh Smith is not.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 07:32:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smith was 5-20 last night.   Not sure he is the one I would target.