Author Topic: Rondo the all-star  (Read 9350 times)

Re: Rondo the all-star
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I think he may also have cracked into the "top 5 point guards" in the league category.   Chris Paul and Deron Williams are better.  Steve Nash is arguably better (not defensively, but Nash is practically flawless on offense)...  Who else is his competition to make that top 5?  I like to consider myself a pretty realistic fan.  I try to avoid being a homer as much as possible.   Right now, I think Rondo might be the 4th best point guard in the NBA (and the 3 ahead of him are all in the Western Conference).  If he keeps up his production, it would be insane for him to miss the allstar team.

I think that's right.  He's probably about on Baron Davis' level right now (arguably better), and has separated himself from guys like Baron Davis.   
::)

Oops.  I meant Devin Harris for the second player.

Forgot about some of those guys.  

I think I'd put Tony Parker in that top 5.  J-Kidd is a great pure point guard, but I think age is catching up with him.

I think Rondo is definitely outperforming Billups and Davis right now.   Devin Harris has fallen off the map, imo.

This is random, but I have nowhere else to bring it up.  My buddy randomly met Rodney Stuckey's agent the other day at a mercedes garage in Seattle.   He talked briefly with the guy.  Apparently he wants Stuckey to get 55 million, because that's what Rondo got.  He said to my friend, "Rondo aint better than my man!"... and my friend was thinking to himself "uhhh...".   He didn't have the guts to tell the guy he was nuts.  Kinda funny.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think so.  Look at the other PGs in the East.

Nelson was hurt again and missed time.

Harris's team is to bad.

Rose is having a sophmore slump.

Gilbert might bring guns.

Calderon has been hurt, isn't as good and in probably a backup on his own team.

Jennings is a rookie. 

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think he's playing at a much higher level than Davis and Harris this year.  It's not that close, either.

I definitely agree.

Harris, yes.  With Davis, if you think Rondo has been playing much better, I don't think you've been paying all that much attention to the left coast.  Davis is having an excellent year on both ends for the Clippers; he's scoring more points, and only slightly fewer assists per minute than Rondo.  Rondo is arguably better, but it's not hands down.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think he's playing at a much higher level than Davis and Harris this year.  It's not that close, either.

I definitely agree.

Harris, yes.  With Davis, if you think Rondo has been playing much better, I don't think you've been paying all that much attention to the left coast.  Davis is having an excellent year on both ends for the Clippers; he's scoring more points, and only slightly fewer assists per minute than Rondo.  Rondo is arguably better, but it's not hands down.

Davis gets more points but he also takes more shots. And has his defense really been excellent?

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
time to start filling out a theoretical roster and make sure there's room for him (there better be)

starters are shaping up like this (logic need not apply)

http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/hoops/2010/01/07/the-nba-all-star-voting-follies/

KG, Lebron, D.Wade, Iverson (LOL), Dwight

after that you need to include...

Pierce
Bosh
Josh Smith
Granger
Joe Johnson
I think Rondo belongs right here in this group

then who? maybe...

Igudola
Vince
G. Wallace
Jennings?
D. Rose?
David Lee?

how many spots are there again?

I think Wallace Definitely deserves a spot for pouring his heart out on a mediocre team. I dont think iggy will get it because of Iverson's presence. Fair or not to Iggy, you can't have two all stars from one of the worst teams...

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I agree that Gerald Wallace should make the team.  Rondo has been much more clutch than Baron, although Baron is having a nice year.

On Jeff's list, I disagree that Josh Smith deserves it; he's a tier down.  Granger has been hurt all year.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 05:44:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Stephen Jackson should get some mention. Since he arrived Charlotte is playing .500 ball while playing a fairly tough schedule(tonight will be their 14th road game against 11 home games since Jackson arrived with a SOS of around .480). He's averaged 20.2 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 3.7 APG and 1.50 SPG since arriving in Charlotte and turned what was a pathetic team with horrible offense into a real, playoff viable team. He's played great ball since arriving in Charlotte.

Probably won't get a nod but I think he's deserving.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
He must be an all star. It'd be a travesty if he wasn't.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
I think Stephen Jackson should get some mention. Since he arrived Charlotte is playing .500 ball while playing a fairly tough schedule(tonight will be their 14th road game against 11 home games since Jackson arrived with a SOS of around .480). He's averaged 20.2 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 3.7 APG and 1.50 SPG since arriving in Charlotte and turned what was a pathetic team with horrible offense into a real, playoff viable team. He's played great ball since arriving in Charlotte.

Probably won't get a nod but I think he's deserving.

I was originally going to post disagreeing with this - that he's had a good first half but there just aren't enough spots on the team.  Then I went through the teams looking for the players I'd put in front of him.  Wade, Rondo, and Johnson should be ahead of him.  There isn't anybody else who clearly should get the nod instead of Jax though.  Iguodala maybe, but his team sucks more.  So in the end I agree with you.

Iverson's presence in the game removes any chance of him getting in, though. 

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i think he would be a problem if he got that allstar status..

the big head syndrome

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

the big head syndrome

That's what haters said about him and his contract.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

the big head syndrome

he deserves what he got..i wanna see him here forever  but what kinda demands will he make if he gets it?...how will it effect his game and playing team ball..?...

i wanna be wrong..jus my feelins brotha

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

the big head syndrome

he deserves what he got..i wanna see him here forever  but what kinda demands will he make if he gets it?...how will it effect his game and playing team ball..?...

no worries just saying

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

the big head syndrome

What demands? To re-do his five year contract that he hasn't started yet?

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

the big head syndrome

What demands? To re-do his five year contract that he hasn't started yet?

Rondo is already super-cocky and he already has a long term deal. Without a doubt he deserves to be an all-star and probably deserved it last year. I can't imagine he is going to have crazy 'demands' if he is on the all-star team. Frankly, it would be embarassing for the NBA if he didn't make it. After a questionable start, he has really been playing incredibly as of late...