Author Topic: Powe Out For Remainder Of Playoffs  (Read 12290 times)

Re: Powe Out For Remainder Of Playoffs
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is bad to say but doubt powe will be coming back to the celtics.His injury is really bad to the pt of career ending style injury and/or he will never be the same type of player most likely

Having such huge knee issues not once but multiple times will also affect "the mental" factor of his game and worst without his athletism and hustle capabilities, powe doesn't ahve the height, skills(like shooting) , iq etc to be able to play in the nba

someone still could give him a tryout next year but he would be a risky sign outside the min one year type of contract

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Plenty of teams will have a roster spot and a desire for cheap productivity to take a cheap-risk-high-reward flyer on Powe.  Danny Ainge has proven that he won't be sentimental about players, but Darius Miles and Patrick O'Bryant show that Ainge is perfectly willing to take these sort of low-budget gambles.

So, it's not like his Celtics career is over, but at the same time, Ainge won't hesitate to look for a more dependable option and he won't hesitate to sign Powe then cut him if he's lost too much.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Powe's knee injury history actually has no bearing on the prognosis for recovery for this injury - just looked it up on the Mayo Clinics website:

"The grafted ligament eventually becomes as strong as or even stronger than the original ACL. Graft failure, at worst, is less than 5 percent."

What will impact him is the fact that he may not be ready until January and he'll have missed the entire off-season in terms of working on his game - he'll be strictly in rehab until at least October, which is the start of TC.

Whether he comes back to the Celtics or not will be determined by a number of factors including his rehab, his cost to re-sign, and the team's usage of their roster spots - fortunately for Powe, the team is likely to replace Mikki Moore with someone better, so Powe's spot isn't necissarily up for grabs.

My gut tells me that Ainge will offer him a team-friendly deal that will represent substantial value once Powe returns to full strenght - 3 years with 2 club option or 2 with 1 - something like that. The market isn't going to yield more than 1.5 per i'd imagine, so the team could do a lot worse than signing one of the most statistically efficient players on its roster considering the probability for recovery is high.

They'd be investing in his rehab time, not his chance of recovering. 

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:37 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
No other team is going to commit any meaningful money to him given his injury history so I would imagine he stays with the C's for something close to what Bill describes. 

At this point you can't plan on him being a part of the future, so you give Baby his money and consider it a bonus if Leon can make it back to where he was this year.

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 08:23:36 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
No other team is going to commit any meaningful money to him given his injury history so I would imagine he stays with the C's for something close to what Bill describes. 

At this point you can't plan on him being a part of the future, so you give Baby his money and consider it a bonus if Leon can make it back to where he was this year.

Agreed.  Definitely give the money to BBD, he has two healthy knees and is less of a risk.  We all remember how long it took TA to come back.  Even if Powe is cleared to play in October or November, he probably won't be back to his old explosive self until it's too late to make an impact in next season's run or even until 2010.  Should the Celtics sign him knowing that his first season back is likely not a productive one, especially when they're trying to win a championship and almost every roster spot could be important?  Tough decision to make about Powe.  I'm pulling for the kid to come back.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 08:24:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

Agreed.  Definitely give the money to BBD (4 years, $3 mil per?), he has two healthy knees and is less of a risk.  We all remember how long it took TA to come back.  Even if Powe is cleared to play in October or November, he probably won't be back to his old explosive self until it's too late to make an impact in next season's run or even until 2010.  Should the Celtics sign him knowing that his first season back is likely not a productive one, especially when they're trying to win a championship and almost every roster spot could be important?  Tough decision to make about Powe.  I'm pulling for the kid to come back.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not sure if he'll get the tender, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He will not be getting a multiple year deal except maybe a very small one with some team option years.

This really sucks for Leon.

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I love how the injury went from a sprain to a tear of the MCL to a tear of the MCL and another ligament to needing knee reconstruction.  I didnt realize Bill Belichick was handing out the medical news  ::)

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Just got to say it once again: my heart goes out to Leon Powe.  He has waited and worked long and hard for the pay day that he would have seen this summer.  At this point, it isn't going to happen, and may never happen, and it saddens me.  If ever there was a guy in the NBA deserving of a payout, it is Leon.  It bugs me to no end that players like Mark Blount dog it their entire career (except on contract years), and get the huge payday, whereas players like Leon work their tails off only to be discarded on the injured players bin.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 11:12:38 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I love how the injury went from a sprain to a tear of the MCL to a tear of the MCL and another ligament to needing knee reconstruction.  I didnt realize Bill Belichick was handing out the medical news  ::)

I was shocked to hear that he was out for the season after hearing at first that it was only a knee sprain.  Now he has a torn ACL and MCL?  The injury didn't look that bad when it happened.

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Tough times for Powe. No doubt he's going to bounce back faster and come back stronger than anyone else would.

Let's hope that Scali can come back in the form he left us in. Playing good help D and dropping the 3 balls. I guess Bill Walker will be forced into action. I wouldn't be shocked if he plays pretty well.

You get a TP for the screen name.
Beautiful  :)