Author Topic: Powe Out For Remainder Of Playoffs  (Read 12289 times)

Powe Out For Remainder Of Playoffs
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Not good, he is getting surgery on his left knee. It makes it worse for him that he is becoming a free agent and now has to undergo ANOTHER knee surgery, though not as serious this time it seems. If theres any brightside it may keep his market value cheap enough where we can keep him and BBD.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

According to an NBA source, Celtics forward Leon Powe is expected to have surgery on his injured left knee and will miss the remainder of the playoffs.

Powe had an MRI after injuring the knee in the second quarter of the Celtics' 118-115 victory over the Bulls in Game 2 of their first-round playoff series Tuesday night. The injury was originally diagnosed as a sprain. It is uncertain whether further damage was found in the knee.

Re: Powe Out For Remainder Of Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
hate to see him injured.

maybe it will lead to us being able to keep him and Big baby...as powe's market value just likely took a hit.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Huge bummer for Leon and the team. The faster he gets the surgery, the better. This season is lost, as we have no front court left. To me it makes no difference whether the C's lose in the first round to the Bulls, which has a good chance of happening, or next round. As for the surgery on Powe, he obviously has more than a knee sprain, as I have never heard of a sprain requiring surgery. The Celtics are rapidly challening the Patriots now for not releasing info about injuries.

Boston.com reporting POWE DONE FOR SEASON
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »

Offline DaTruth34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Sorry to bethe bearer of bad news...this sucks!!!!!!!!

< Back to Front Page Text size – + Source: Powe out for season
Link|Comments (0) Posted by Marc J. Spears, Globe Staff April 21, 2009 12:08 PM
According to an NBA source, Celtics forward Leon Powe is expected to have surgery on his injured left knee and will miss the remainder of the playoffs.

Powe had an MRI after injuring the knee in the second quarter of the Celtics' 118-115 victory over the Bulls in Game 2 of their first-round playoff series Tuesday night. The injury was originally diagnosed as a sprain. It is uncertain whether further damage was found in the knee.

Powe, 25, injured his right knee March 17, also against the Bulls, causing him to miss nearly a month.

A free agent after the season, Powe averaged 7.7 points in 70 regular-season games this year, and averaged 5 points per game in the playoffs.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

Re: Boston.com reporting POWE DONE FOR SEASON
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Obviously it just was not meant to be this season. Thankfully we have the miracle of last year to remember as we watch the Cavs and Lakers battle for the title. Although given my dislike for both of those teams, I likely will not be watching.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Yeah, everything seems to be going wrong for us this season.  It's really hard to watch.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Ouch. I hope it's nothing too serious and that he's ready to play by the start of the training camp. The ECF are becoming a mirage.

Btw, a "knee sprain"? Now every injury is a "sprain"? I'd like to know how serious this may be, why haven't they released the information what kind of injury we're talking about here?

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
When KG went out, I think most of us felt that we needed Powe to come back to have any playoff success.  Now, with no Powe, what is the strategy?

I think we are forced to go small.  Moore and Marbury have been largely useless, so I think we'll need to shorten the rotation some also.  After the starters, I'd bring only House and TA off the bench, with a little spot duty from Moore for Perk.

Guards:  Rondo and Ray, backed up by House (use Marbury only if needed).
Forwards:  Pierce and Baby, backed up by TA (use Pierce at the PF when TA is in).
Center:  Perk, backed up by Moore (but use Moore only when Baby is also on the floor for rebounding).

Normally, I don't like going small, but it might help to get TA on the floor to cover Gordan or Salmons and relieve Pierce and Ray.  Pierce can cover Thomas defensively since Thomas is basically just a jump shooter offensively.  I could see a Rondo-Ray-TA-Pierce-Perk combo being effective on the floor.  And we don't really have much other choice, as I don't think Scal is playoff ready.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
this is starting to resemble 1987. ridiculous. i don't even know if we make it out of round 1. but i will say this...we have gutted it out big time this season. as long as we keep playing hard, we have nothing to hang our heads down about, much like the 86-87 team.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Obviously it just was not meant to be this season. Thankfully we have the miracle of last year to remember as we watch the Cavs and Lakers battle for the title. Although given my dislike for both of those teams, I likely will not be watching.

Just remember, if either Kobe or LBJ
goes down with an injury, their teams
are as screwed as we are. Of course it's
not going to happen. I'm just saying.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
wow. Assuming Scal is still done as well, we're really in trouble up front.  Well, time to play more guards and run run run. This series has been wildly entertaining in guard play. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Go Celtics!!

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:49:29 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Can't really compare Powe to Kobe or Lebron.  It really sucks that KG will miss the playoffs.  If we somehow get by the Bulls (possible) and the Magic (unlikely), we'd never get by the Cavs without KG.  Think he'll make a miracle, pierce-like comeback for that series?

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Can't really compare Powe to Kobe or Lebron.  It really sucks that KG will miss the playoffs.  If we somehow get by the Bulls (possible) and the Magic (unlikely), we'd never get by the Cavs without KG.  Think he'll make a miracle, pierce-like comeback for that series?

True, and I'm not:
We were screwed the minute the KG
news hit us. Powe is just a bad form
of an icing on a rotten cake.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
mikki moore needs some shark adrenaline.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ouch. I hope it's nothing too serious and that he's ready to play by the start of the training camp. The ECF are becoming a mirage.

Btw, a "knee sprain"? Now every injury is a "sprain"? I'd like to know how serious this may be, why haven't they released the information what kind of injury we're talking about here?

Well, it's been what, 15 hours since the injury?  I am sure we will find out a little more, if this is in fact true, and they announce he is having surgery.

Although I will say, the C's still have a chance at earning the right to be destroyed by the Cavs.  If they can get by the Bulls with smoke and mirrors (or Pierce realizing that he is also an All-Star), the Magic are looking a lot less formidable.  The C's still match up with them well (especially if Scal does come back).  It won't be easy, but its still a very real possibility.  But of course it would likely be a futile effort anyways, because there is no way they are beating the Cavs without Powe and Garnett.