Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 157571 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #1455 on: October 24, 2023, 09:45:18 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Marcus Smart: 'I knew I would be traded eventually'

“If I’m being quite frank, I knew I would be traded eventually,” Smart said. “Just figured it would be the next season, just based off my contract and with the new CBA. We already knew that. But it was just the way it happened. I was told everything was good after asking multiple times. Like, ‘I’m hearing (rumors), what’s going on?’ And they’re like, ‘No, you’re good, you’re good, you’re good.’ And then when I do hear about the trade, it’s from Shams (Charania) on Twitter before I hear from the team.” – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

Maybe Smart is a bit disappointed but he seems mature enough to know that this is now common in the NBA. He’ll have that extra motivation for sure everytime he plays vs the Celtics.

« Reply #1456 on: October 25, 2023, 12:42:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tatum (along with Tom Brady and Aaron Judge) bringing some joy to kids through the Make a Wish Foundation.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10094715-tom-brady-aaron-judge-jayson-tatum-grant-wishes-with-fanatics-make-a-wish?ref=upstract.com
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 12:49:05 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1457 on: October 25, 2023, 12:45:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Tatum (along with Tom Brady and Mike Judge) bringing some joy to kids through the Make a Wish Foundation.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10094715-tom-brady-aaron-judge-jayson-tatum-grant-wishes-with-fanatics-make-a-wish?ref=upstract.com

LOL, but for the text in the link, I was wondering what kid was such a fan of Office Space that meeting Mike Judge was their Make-a-Wish.

But it’s a nice story, and good for kids going through some terribly tough times.

« Reply #1458 on: October 25, 2023, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Tatum (along with Tom Brady and Mike Judge) bringing some joy to kids through the Make a Wish Foundation.

The picture doesn't load for me, so I'm sitting here thinking why the kids would want to meet Mike Judge.  Maybe they were some big King of the Hill fans?  Clicking through, makes a lot more sense now, lol.

edit - and now I see Celtics2021 had the same thought, moments earlier.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1459 on: October 25, 2023, 12:50:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The picture doesn't load for me, so I'm sitting here thinking why the kids would want to meet Mike Judge.  Maybe they were some big King of the Hill fans?  Clicking through, makes a lot more sense now, lol.

edit - and now I see Celtics2021 had the same thought, moments earlier.

Haha.  I'd much rather meet Mike Judge than Aaron Judge.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1460 on: October 25, 2023, 02:17:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Marcus Smart: 'I knew I would be traded eventually'

“If I’m being quite frank, I knew I would be traded eventually,” Smart said. “Just figured it would be the next season, just based off my contract and with the new CBA. We already knew that. But it was just the way it happened. I was told everything was good after asking multiple times. Like, ‘I’m hearing (rumors), what’s going on?’ And they’re like, ‘No, you’re good, you’re good, you’re good.’ And then when I do hear about the trade, it’s from Shams (Charania) on Twitter before I hear from the team.” – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

Maybe Smart is a bit disappointed but he seems mature enough to know that this is now common in the NBA. He’ll have that extra motivation for sure everytime he plays vs the Celtics.

I don’t understand the stuff everyone says about “hearing it from Shams” on Twitter.

That’s because these reporters know things that are happening in almost real time. Obviously the teams aren’t going to let the player know until it’s actually happened, but this news leaks so fast that I’m sure a lot of times the team simply hasn’t had a chance to connect with the player yet.

« Reply #1461 on: October 25, 2023, 04:35:19 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Al Horford announces he'll be coming off the bench for Celtics

Tim Bontemps: Al Horford says he won’t be in the starting lineup tonight. – via Twitter TimBontemps
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1462 on: October 25, 2023, 05:17:03 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Wyc was interviewed on the Greg Hill Show and said that he started to decide they needed to make changes midway through the Game 7 thrashing by Miami.

I sat there probably the whole second half of [Game 7] starting to think about [making changes],” he said of the Celtics’ roster. “Then I took two days to let everything settle down and then went and met with Brad Stevens and Joe Mazzulla and we formulated a plan. I just said, ‘We’re not bringing back the same team.’

“It’s been two seasons in a row of really good play but inconsistencies, and they showed in the Finals two years ago, and then in the Conference Finals last year,” Grousbeck said of recent Celtics history. “It just felt inconsistent. I said I just wanted to change the mix so that there’s a fresh approach. So we made some changes in the summer.”

The changes came at a huge cost for the Celtics, with Smart (previously the team’s longest tenured player) being sent to the Grizzlies as part of the Porzingis deal.

Saying goodbye to a player beloved by the local fanbase was difficult, Grousbeck acknowledged. Yet as he pointed out, the connection to Smart hasn’t completely gone away. Grousbeck recalled how he was among a large Celtics contingent to recently attend Smart’s wedding.

“We probably had eight or nine people at Marcus’s wedding,” Grousbeck said of the Celtics representation. “It was just a really warm reunion. So the personal side of this is still there with Marcus and other former players. He’s a special guy, and he’s missed, and we’re moving on, but we wish him the best in Memphis.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/10/25/wyc-grousbeck-celtics-offseason-changes/?p1=hp_featurestack
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1463 on: October 26, 2023, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Brian Robb: Derrick White says the Celtics top 6 players had their meeting about the starting five last week: White: “I voted for JT to come off the bench.”  – via Twitter BrianTRobb
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1464 on: October 26, 2023, 02:33:16 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
Brian Robb: Derrick White says the Celtics top 6 players had their meeting about the starting five last week: White: “I voted for JT to come off the bench.”  – via Twitter BrianTRobb

Hilarious!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain