Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450224 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
We've worked it out, Bob.  The power of PMs, right? 8)
Most excellent. I commend you both. Smart people working out smart solutions is a fine thing.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2007, 02:18:53 AM »

Offline SHEEEEEEEEEED

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
let's clamor for our constitutionally, no, god given rights of freedom of speech, expression, and information to be upheld on our favorite celtics posting site of CHOICE (remember that, without us YOU ARE NOTHING).  Here, in this thread.  Because apparently you can't anywhere else.

Roy, since you publicly attacked me in a thread for no particular reason other than your pathetic power mongering, and asked me to put my critiques in *ahem* "the proper thread", here they are.

and by the way, this post at large is disgusting.  you force your users to bring up issues here so you can gang up on them with flawed arguments and scant debate tactics?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:44:01 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2007, 02:22:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
let's clamor for our constitutionally, no, god given rights of freedom of speech, expression, and information to be upheld on our favorite celtics posting site of CHOICE (remember that, without us YOU ARE NOTHING).  Here, in this thread.  Because apparently you can't anywhere else.

Roy, since you publicly attacked me in a thread for no particular reason other than your pathetic power mongering, and asked me to put my critiques in *ahem* "the proper thread", here they are.

and by the way, this post at large is disgusting.  you force your users to bring up issues here so you can gang up on them with flawed arguments and scant debate tactics? 

Um...  the "public attack" you suffered was an admonition not to call other posters illiterate or incompetent.  You launched a long diatribe about the Celticsblog site rules, which you are far from an expert on. 

Again, you are welcome to be as "disgusted" by our policies as you want, but by being here, you have to comply with them.  One of those rules is not personally attacking others. 

I would also note, for your edification, that the Constitutional freedoms of speech and expression do not apply to private entities like Celticsblog.  Also, there is no "freedom of information" found anywhere in the United States Constitution. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:44:21 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2007, 02:24:36 AM »

Offline SHEEEEEEEEEED

• Svi Mykhailiuk

« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2007, 02:29:54 AM »

Offline SHEEEEEEEEEED

• Svi Mykhailiuk

to the last poster with problems being "baited" by roy hobbs, you are not alone

Um...  the "public attack" you suffered was an admonition not to call other posters illiterate or incompetent.  You launched a long diatribe about the Celticsblog site rules, which you are far from an expert on. 

Again, you are welcome to be as "disgusted" by our policies as you want, but by being here, you have to comply with them.  One of those rules is not personally attacking others. 

I would also note, for your edification, that the Constitutional freedoms of speech and expression do not apply to private entities like Celticsblog.  Also, there is no "freedom of information" found anywhere in the United States Constitution. 

really?  isn't the 93rd amendment freedom of cheese, shoelaces, and information?  you are the master at losing semantic games.  as you can clearly see (unless it's been moderated yet), i say "constitutionally, no, god given" to indicate that these are inalienable rights; that no source of authority can take away.  i think i learned that in 4th or so grade.

nowhere did i claim that they do pertain to celticsblog.  its evident that they dont.  why do you think i am writing all this?

also, please show me where i personally attacked someone.  i was merely trying to help the original poster from understanding the "negativity" and "ignorance" that has become synonomous with celticsblog in his mind.

i would appreciate you stop defaming me in public arenas as well roy.  this is now the third time in the past 15 minutes
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:38:40 AM by SHEEEEEEEEEED »

« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2007, 02:39:32 AM »

Offline SHEEEEEEEEEED

• Svi Mykhailiuk
[Edited.]  Okay, I'm not going to let you lie in here.  You've been given some leeway to give your opinion, but making up blatant lies crosses a line. -R.H.

i really forget what was said here.  and since you have 3 times deleted my reply, which asked what i said here, i'm just editing it in place.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:51:52 AM by SHEEEEEEEEEED »

« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have a suggestion to the moderators, when members have disagreements and want to spout off, why not let them, unedited. It's fabulous entertainment to the rest of us who love watching them making themselves look silly. BTW I'm using silly but I'm sure people can substitute their own words for silly.

« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2007, 11:52:53 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I have a suggestion to the moderators, when members have disagreements and want to spout off, why not let them, unedited. It's fabulous entertainment to the rest of us who love watching them making themselves look silly. BTW I'm using silly but I'm sure people can substitute their own words for silly.
I agree with this in principle and we do prefer to allow people to have their say, but sometimes we just have to clean things up. That is most usually caused by someone who wishes exercise their first amendment rights around here by trampling all over the first amendment rights of others.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I understand, but I think you're missing out on a gold mine. I mean, Bob, you, Hobbs, Jeff, Edgar, et al are all extremely intelligent, confident, and possess extraordinary verbal bebating skills. If someone like the..ahem.. gentleman above wants to let it fly, let them and sell the viewing rights. Have designated times of the week where a moderator or administrator will be available in a chatroom, charge a small fee for entrance therefore youngsters can not get in and view something offensive and have at. I'm telling you I'd pay to see some of the debate there. I may not be the only one.

Of course this is all tongue in cheek but maybe the moderator of the day debate isn't a bad idea, open forum.

« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That's some funny stuff, Nick.  I call dibs on all the people complaining about CB trampling on their Constitutional rights. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
You know the more I think of it the more I think it might work. Set a time maybe 9:00PM EST, once a week, maybe twice. Advertise on the frontpage the moderator/administrator and subject based on weekly polling of subject material. Charge $4.99/hour billed to Visa/MC/Amex minimum one hour. Think of the servers you'll be able to afford if this explodes.

« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2007, 12:13:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's some funny stuff, Nick.  I call dibs on all the people complaining about CB trampling on their Constitutional rights. ;)

Apparently you're a glutton for punishment eh? Funny/ironic thing: This first amendment argument has been made so many times, that  every new thread dedicated to it is in violation of site rules in and of its self because here is already a pre-existing thread on it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #222 on: August 22, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »

Offline Gamble34

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
I keep getting a "Your Comment is Too Short Message" even though I wrote:

"House will definitely be the backup PG, he has too much offensive talent to sit behind USC's second-best guard last year.

I happen to think Davis will beat Powe out eventually, again due to a higher overall skill level.  The problem with Powe is his height, if he were 6'10", I think he'd have a chance, but when you have 2 undersized PF, the guy with the best skills will win out.  Provided he's not 300 pounds."

Obviously not too short, anyone have this experience?  Sorry if this has been addressed before, I didn't have the ambition to read all 15 pages.

« Reply #223 on: August 22, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I keep getting a "Your Comment is Too Short Message" even though I wrote:

"House will definitely be the backup PG, he has too much offensive talent to sit behind USC's second-best guard last year.

I happen to think Davis will beat Powe out eventually, again due to a higher overall skill level.  The problem with Powe is his height, if he were 6'10", I think he'd have a chance, but when you have 2 undersized PF, the guy with the best skills will win out.  Provided he's not 300 pounds."

Obviously not too short, anyone have this experience?  Sorry if this has been addressed before, I didn't have the ambition to read all 15 pages.

Look here

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=7822.0

« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2007, 06:35:20 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
I have no agenda on this issue because I don't post here often and have no plans on doing so. I also understand why you guys are so strict about moderating. You're probably hoping to one day sell the site and don't want to alienate a buyer. With that said, you might want to be a little more prudent with your post locking.

I don't think any of you guys know what it feels like to have a post locked. These people are sometimes putting significant effort into their posts. Do you know what happens when this effort is for naught? You completely alienate them. Sure, there are some users that are worth alienating. With the number of locked posts here, I doubt this is completely the case.
Once again, I could care less if you actually follow my suggestion. Heck, "ban me" if you like. My username has about 15 posts to my credit and there's no way anybody can truly be banned from a web site.