Author Topic: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Voting Analysis : Team of the Future  (Read 579316 times)

Re: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Playoff Voting Analysis Thread
« Reply #1725 on: August 17, 2009, 07:38:55 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I like when people accidentally refer to "Bear Bellies" makes me laugh
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1726 on: August 17, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
How come KC hasn't weighed in on the bear talk?

« Reply #1727 on: August 17, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
How come KC hasn't weighed in on the bear talk?

Bears don't belong in the playoff conversation... apparently.

« Reply #1728 on: August 17, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I hope perhaps Roy would reconsider and everyone would just let the game play out and but i don't hold out much hope for that unfortunately. At the very least though maybe we can all dial down the non-basketball arguing/snitiness.

Yeah, GC, I appreciate the kind thoughts and your all around classiness, but the draft was starting to 1) become unenjoyable, and 2) interfere with my duties on the blog.  Just because we're in the draft and all competing doesn't mean that the rules go out the window.  There was way too much disrespect towards people in here, and I can't really enforce the rules against that if I'm a participant. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #1729 on: August 17, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well that's four voters who went with Washington in the playoff seedings vote but have changed their votes to Cleveland for the vote off.....so far.

In a vote that is now standing Cleveland 10 Washington 7 that's pretty significant!!

Also, not unexpected as I predicted this to people in PM's just after voting opened.

I thought about it honestly Nick... but went with Washington. I don't think switching should be taken with any sort of ill-will.

CLE & WASH (and NY & MIL, imo) are good teams who each have some serious question marks. In a 1-game playoff it's a tossup, if we just reevaluate who does better over a 82 game season, it's a toss up.

I seriously considered switching b/c Devin Harris is a real X-factor IMO, he's talking about really trying to improve his leadership this year, and I think CLE is a little bit deeper than WASH (guys like LRMAM, Rush, Bell, williams, Blatche are nice young players).

But I like WASH's difference makers (Jackson, WAllace, Scola) just a little more than CLE's (Harris, Crawford, West, Bogut) and expect JWright and Sessions to really improve this year.

I don't think there's a wrong vote, but this is how I saw it...
Well that's just it. There's no such thing as a one game playoff to determine the best team in the NBA.  So I think this thing should have been handled as if it were voting on who should have won the regular season because there were voting irregularities. If then everyone votes as they did in the regular vote, even those who's votes then didn't count, then we would see who would win. If some voters didn't make it the second time around, whatever.

But this was turned into a "who has the better team" vote, not a "who should have won the regular season vote". Given the facts that 4 days have passed since the first vote was cast, given that the reasoning for the vote was changed and given that in playing the game, critiquing others comes into effect and the effect those critiques can have on people can, even without them knowing it, changed their objectivity, I kinda knew I had little to no chance here and that a rash of votes would change. I predicted as such.

No hard feelings. I lose. Doesn't mean I have to be happy with the way it went down which I think was pretty rotten from a Washington POV but, oh well.

I hold nothing of what happened in this game against anyone, permanently. You play a game. You play it fierce, intense and to win. Sometimes you argue calls. Sometimes tempers flare. That's competition. After you shake hands, say great game and go get a bear together. Just like a pick up game down at the local Y or corner court or something.

Well you shake hands .... unless you're Lebron James. Glad we don't have that sore loser on our team  ;)

And maybe it's a Washington Boxers thing but I've never gone out and gotten a bear after a game. Is that like wild-game hunting to replenish vitamins?  ;D

And yes ultimately I treated it as a revote.... there were no compelling facts to make me switch votes (though like i said with such a close matchup there are probably people who felt not very strongly and on furhter reflection went with CLE).
Maybe that's more of a really old guy, really out of shape softball philosophy. After enough beers you forget what you were playing!!! ;D

Old guy?

Outta shape?

where do i sign up?!?!  ;D

(you saw you typed bear not beer, right? that's what i was joking about...)
I missed that one!! That's it I'm firing Firefox. It's supposed to bring these things to my attention!!! ;) ;D

Must be that old guy brain missing stuff my 20 year old brain would have picked up in a heartbeat.

« Reply #1730 on: August 17, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I am limited in what I may say on this board, but if people want me to resign, I will go with that. I feel like I'm just waiting to get banned from CB now and its a lousy feeling. That the pokes will continue to come and the moment I respond, I'll be banned. I have no problem if GM's want me to resign and Roy to come back. I had thought we had moved on and Dons had warned GM's not to instigate, but I am powerless here. I am really bothered by the threats. I know I am only a poster here, and I'll step down from the draft if the threats will cease.

« Reply #1731 on: August 17, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
By the way I want to clarify that when I said I would shake hands and go out and have a bear I meant absolutely no sexual innuendo whatsoever towards KC.

I mean I like you you KC but I don't like you KC. It was just a misspell. ;) :D ;D

« Reply #1732 on: August 17, 2009, 08:09:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I am limited in what I may say on this board, but if people want me to resign, I will go with that. I feel like I'm just waiting to get banned from CB now and its a lousy feeling. That the pokes will continue to come and the moment I respond, I'll be banned. I have no problem if GM's want me to resign and Roy to come back. I had thought we had moved on and Dons had warned GM's not to instigate, but I am powerless here. I am really bothered by the threats. I know I am only a poster here, and I'll step down from the draft if the threats will cease.

To be clear (since you made this public):  you have not been "threatened".  You have not been asked to resign.  My resignation was only tangentially related to your behavior, although I will note that you continued to bait and troll my posts after you were asked repeatedly in both public and private to stop and let others enjoy the game.

However, you were reminded of the Celticsblog posting rules, which you have had a problem with in this thread.  If you comply with the rules, there won't be a problem for you, here or elsewhere.  However, it's important that all posters cease and desist with rulebreaking behavior.  The two "golden rules" on Celticsblog are:

Quote from: Celticsblog rules
# Respect each other at all times. There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.

# Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous to all.

Posters who can abide by those rules enjoy long and happy posting careers here.  Those who can't, don't.  Since any attempt I would take as a GM to enforce these rules would have been met with calls of "retaliation", I decided to end the potential conflict of interest and step down.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #1733 on: August 17, 2009, 09:07:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just a reminder that voting closes at 11:59.59 tonight

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1734 on: August 17, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
When does the second round for the west start? Wednesday?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1735 on: August 18, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
And Thus, the dream that was the Phoenix Suns dies, not with a bang, but with a whisper. It is a sad day in hypothetical Phoenix today, the Sun has offically set.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1736 on: August 18, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
AP-Phoenix acting GM IndeedProceed called Seattle GM Hoyo to congratulate him on a well fought battle and a deserved win. Hoyo asked the Phoenix GM how he got his number, then warned if he was contacted again by phone he would alert the authorities.

(Seriously though good job by Hoyo, a lesser GM would've withered under the weight of my flawless logic and impeccable attention to detail....and for the record,

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=gordobe01&p2=masonro01

Ben Gordon career average vs Roger Mason Jr:21.1 pts
Roger Mason Jr career average vs Ben Gordon: 6.6 pts

Gordon would've murdered me.)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1737 on: August 18, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Just a reminder that voting closes at 11:59.59 tonight

Oops, sorry, I was late to the party. I'm still going to explain my disregarded votes, if that's alright, since I agonized over them for so too long.

Honestly, these are all great first round series in my mind.

1/8 Matchup - Utah is a terribly tricky match up for 1st seed Buffalo. Nowitzki can go shot for shot with Jamison, has the same taste for perimeter play, but with a size advantage and better court vision. Duhon is solid, Billups is a post season star. And the Jazz can throw a lot of different looks at Howard.

Buffalo seems to be running away with it, so I'm going to honor Utah with the upset vote, although I'm also on board with the Braves and love their core.

2/7 Matchup - I left Golden State out of the playoffs but that was a tough decision, and they present  a tough match up for Portland, playing an uptempo style with a lot of firepower in the backcourt to prey on the Blazers' defensive problems. Okur vs either O'Neal is also an interesting match-up. And to further confuse matters, both teams have starters who have yet to return to the basketball court.

In the end I don't trust G.S.'s bench to handle the Crotornats Cavalry. (Please nobody ask me what's going to be different about Portland/Houston.)

3/6 Matchup - The Southwest is the best.

4/5 Matchup - I read a ton of takes on the Suns/Sonics playoff series. (Best debate thus far?) And almost swung my vote to Phoenix, on the strength of IP's arguments. I do prefer the Suns at three positions, but not their chances against Ben Gordon, or their bench, or Jefferson over Duncan despite the numbers (which might make me irrational. But that's hardly the only evidence...).

« Reply #1738 on: August 18, 2009, 12:32:30 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
When do the results get posted?

« Reply #1739 on: August 18, 2009, 07:43:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
This is how you Transform Grimlock

This is how you vote Toronto

(Toronto)

Voting Toronto: So easy Grimlock can do it