Author Topic: Celtics (17-4) at Wizards (7-12) 12/10  (Read 83377 times)

Celtics (17-4) at Wizards (7-12) 12/10
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at 

Boston Celtics (17-4) at Washington Wizards (7-12)
Thursday, December 10
8:00 PM ET
Game #22, Road Game #11
TV:  TNT, CSN HD, The Source
Radio: WEEI,. WJFK   
Verizon Center

ProbableStarters
PG   Rajon Rondo 11 PPG  9.2 APG  2.7 SPG

SG    Ray Allen 15.5 PPG  3.0 APG .330 3P%

SF Paul Pierce 18.4 PPG 4.6 RPG 3.9 APG

PF Kevin Garnett  15.4 PPG  7.4 RPG  0.7 BPG

C Kendrick Perkins  11.9 PPG  7.5 RPG  1.9 BPG

Reserves

Rasheed Wallace
Eddie House
Shelden Williams
Tony Allen
Brian Scalabrine
JR Giddens
Lester Hudson

Injuries
Marquis Daniels (thumb) out
Glen Davis  (thumb)  out

D League
Bill Walker

Probable Starters
PG  Gilbert Arenas   20.4  PPG  6.5 APG 1.0 SPG

SG Nick Young  8.2 PPG  0.8 APG .318 3P%

SF Caron Butler  16.5 PPG  6.9 RPG  1.5 APG

PF Antawn Jamison  20.1 PPG 8.7RPG  .5 BPG

C Brendan Haywood  10.0 PPG  10.9 RPG  2.1 BPG

Reserves
Earl Boykins
Andray Blatche
JaVale McGee
Randy Foye
Dominic McGuire
Fabricio Oberto
DeShawn Stevenson

Injuries
Javaris Crittenton (foot) out
Mike Miller (calf) out
Mike James (hand) questionable

Team Connections
Caron Butler and Ray Allen are former UConn Huskies
DeShawn Stevenson played for Doc Rivers during the 2003-04 season
Randy Foye was originally drafted by the Celtics in the 2006 NBA Draft
Mike Miller played for Doc Rivers from 2000-03 in Orlando
Mike James played for the Celtics during the 2003-04 season
Mike James and Rasheed Wallace were teammates in Detroit during the 2003-04 season
Nick Young and Brian Scalabrine are former USC Trojans
Antawn Jamison and Rasheed Wallace are former North Carolina Tar Heels
Randy Foye, Mike Miller and Shelden Williams were teammates in Minnesota during the 2008-09 season
Wizards assistant coach Sam Cassell played for the Celtics in the 2007-08 season.
Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau had agreed to join the Wizards as an assistant but after  a week left the club and joined the Celtics' staff. 

Key Matchups

vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Gilbert Arenas
Gilbert Arenas always gets up for the Celtics because he still holds a grudge against them for not drafting him in the first round.  Gilbert is a tough PG and Rondo is going to need to bring his A game on both ends of the court for this one. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Antawn Jamison
KG has been playing at very close to 100% recently.  Jamison has also been playing very well for Washington and so this should be a good matchup. 

Honorable Mention
  vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Brendan Haywood
This should be a good battle between a couple of defensive minded centers.  Haywood is a good rebounder and shot blocker and Perk will need to use his strength to keep the taller Haywood away from the basket. 

Game Notes
• Celtics swept the season series 3-0 against Washington in 2008-09
• Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 24.0 points per game last season
• Caron Butler led the Wizards scoring output against the C’s last season with an average of 22.0 points per contest
• It marked the first time since the 1981-82 season that the C’s had swept the season series against the Wizards
• The Celtics are leading the all-time series 167-101 with the Celtics 86-37 at home
The Wizards are a dangerous team because they are easy to take for granted because of their 7-12 record.  They are 5-5 in their last 10 games and have lost their last 2 games.  But, they are a talented team and are capable of beating any team on any night when things click for them.   

The Celtics last played on Tuesday at home and are beginning a 3 game road trip.  The Wizards have been off since Friday and so they will be well rested.  However, sometimes  a long rest will work against a team in that they come out rusty to begin the game. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is the key to winning every game.  Over the Celtics last 5 games, they have rediscovered their defensive identity and hopefully this will continue in this game.

Rebound - The Celtics have struggled in this area recently and need to make an effort to improve their rebounding.   Much of rebounding is effort and desire and the Celtics need to increase both in order to win the battle of the boards.  The Bucks game was much closer than it should have been because the Celtics were allowing way too many second chance points. 

Play Hard for 48 Minutes - The Wizards may be a bit sluggish to begin the game because of their layoff and the Celtics need to take advantage of this to build an early lead. They also can't let up or a team like the Wizards will make them pay.

Bench Play - With Marquis Daniels out, others on the Celtics bench must step up.   Hopefully Doc won't be forced to over use the starters because the bench isn't producing.  Eddie, Scal,  and TA especially need to up their games to make up for the absence of Daniels.  Giving Hudson some minutes at the point may pay dividends later. 

Re: Celtics (17-4) at Wizards (7-12) 12/10
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
lookin for scalabrine to get more floor time

should be ez..butler and jamison might try and act up but we should be able to hold them down

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
im gonna be at the game,  i'm psyched.
Greg

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Arenas and Butler are stinking it up this season.  What happened to them?  Maybe there's not enough ball to go around.

Jamison, Blatche and Haywood is an interesting frontcourt.  Nice mix of skill, athleticism and rebounding/defense.

Once, or if, Arenas and Butler return to form and Miller comes back from injury, this team could be really dangerous.  They should really unload Foye, Young, and DeShawn Stevenson though. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:12:43 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Wish we had Nick Young backing up Ray. He's wasting away with the Wizards. I remember liking him in the draft back in 07.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 06:05:39 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP to FLCeltsFan and thanks for post!

We should be ok for this game. I expect TA to continue to get his legs back and contribute positively.

As long as we don't let Deshawn Stevenson hurt us I think will be fine. That guy played big against us a few games back in 2007-2008.

And Rondo has been playing well against the top PGs in the game lately. I expect him to continue doing the same.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:08:22 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I will catch the replay tomorrow but I'm hoping for a blowout, although this Wizards team has given us struggles, especially during the championship season...

My only concern is that Doc overplays Ray and Paul because of Marquis' absence and the bench wings' lack of productivity... so I hope TA will perform well and that Doc has learned his lesson from last season.

With that said, TP FL and go Celtics! Let's make it 9 in a row!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »

Kiorrik

TP and cya in about 3 hours. I'm gonna catch a lil' bit of shuteye before this game starts. Basketball practice was fun :)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't know why. Just got as funny feeling this is going to be a thumping of major proportions tonight with the C's winning by 20 at least.

Of course, I had a similar funny feeling earlier in the year and the C's lost and I had a bad feeling about the OKC game and we won big.

guess I have to start betting big bucks with the local bookie AGAINST these funny feelings.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
worried about scal and tony having to play...bench has looked less than impressive the last few games....i actually think this will be a tough game

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
im gonna be at the game,  i'm psyched.

lucky...

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »

Offline Poseidon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • Ray Allen είναι ο άνθρωπος.
You could add that ray is 14 points away from 20k to the game notes. TP for you though!
"I could justify it all day long if I wanted to, but the truth is, I locked it because I wanted to."- Jeff

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Don't know why. Just got as funny feeling this is going to be a thumping of major proportions tonight with the C's winning by 20 at least.

Of course, I had a similar funny feeling earlier in the year and the C's lost and I had a bad feeling about the OKC game and we won big.

guess I have to start betting big bucks with the local bookie AGAINST these funny feelings.

Maybe you're just hungry

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:10:21 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
lol barkley said

rasheed is a pain in the @#$...

lol

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »

Kiorrik

Maybe you're just hungry
:]]

Guys, I just woke up, had very little sleep and I'll tell you man, I'm so tired that when I put my pants on, I fell over and was lucky I could keep my balance by smashing my head into the wall.

I'm going to watch this game though [dang]it >_< I got steak in the break (harhar, rhyming bro!) to keep me awake (ooooohhh!!!) so I'm all gewd!

Oh man :')