Author Topic: Larry Nance Jr. trade idea via The Athletic  (Read 3345 times)

Larry Nance Jr. trade idea via The Athletic
« on: October 10, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Proposed via the Athletic:

“A better but riskier path might be an all-in-one type arrangement, where they trade the 14th pick, Kanter and Poirier, and get back a legitimate frontcourt player in return,” Hollinger wrote. “The most obvious target for such a deal would be Cleveland’s Larry Nance, who could play 4 and 5 for them and who makes $11.7 million, $10.7 million and $9.7 million over the next three seasons.”

I don’t subscribe, but the article is here:

https://theathletic.com/2124957/2020/10/08/hollinger-the-celtics-face-hard-decisions-in-offseason-battle-vs-the-tax-man/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:54:07 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Larry Nance Jr. trade
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:21:21 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Nance and this draft isn't great but that's a horrible deal. Pick 30 I might consider it but the team still needs a real center if they deal Kanter. This doesn't work for me until we get that Center.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Interesting, realistic option. Great hands and footwork in the pick and roll.

Tweener size but stout around the basket. He's got the obvious pedigree from his father, move very fluidly while also possesing a toughness.

Can either start or function as first big off the bench depending on matchups.

I like it. Would rather have Nance Jr. Over someone like Montrezl Harrel.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like Nance and this draft isn't great but that's a horrible deal. Pick 30 I might consider it but the team still needs a real center if they deal Kanter. This doesn't work for me until we get that Center.

What do you consider a real center?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No way is Larry Nance Jr. worth a late lotto pick + 2 expiring contracts. This would be a dream trade for the Cavs.

People keep saying that the 2020 draft is weak. This is true for teams picking in early lottery. If a team has a late lotto pick or a mid/late first, all drafts are practically the same.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:36:17 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Also wanted to say why is it the Cavs have so many rumoured deals of wanting C's picks and contracts? Love to the C's, Drummond to the C's, now Nance to the C's. There seems a push to trade their underperforming bigs for picks. I guess since C's have the picks they are brought up.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The easiest path to a quality big is to trade up for Onyeka Okongwu. He's going to be considerably better than Nance.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

What do you consider a real center?
Guys 6'9+, at least 250lbs. Have 7'+ wingspans, can bang and protect the paint. With so much focus on pick and roll we forget you also need size with mobility to stop lob passes over the top.

Nance is like 6'7 240lbs it's what Theis is. Plus we have TL. Do we want to rely on all undersized Centers?

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 11:47:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Proposed via the Athletic:

“A better but riskier path might be an all-in-one type arrangement, where they trade the 14th pick, Kanter and Poirier, and get back a legitimate frontcourt player in return,” Hollinger wrote. “The most obvious target for such a deal would be Cleveland’s Larry Nance, who could play 4 and 5 for them and who makes $11.7 million, $10.7 million and $9.7 million over the next three seasons.”

I don’t subscribe, but the article is here:

https://theathletic.com/2124957/2020/10/08/hollinger-the-celtics-face-hard-decisions-in-offseason-battle-vs-the-tax-man/
roy, would you be able to please change the title to show it is only "proposed"? when i first saw it i thought it had really happened.  :o

thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Larry Nance Jr. trade idea via The Athletic
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Isn’t Nance a more athletic but lower IQ theis? Or a shorter, less defensively gifted timelord?

Well, I barely remember him (other than being a Laker) but I’m not sure how his fit makes sense. Is he a shooter? Lol I really can’t remember him
- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
No thank you.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The easiest path to a quality big is to trade up for Onyeka Okongwu. He's going to be considerably better than Nance.

Okongwu is too pricey for the Celtics. Isnt he a top 5 pick in the draft.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Wouldn't mind getting Nance, and I really want Poirier gone to make room for just about anything else. But the 14th pick is too much to give up in that deal.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Isn't Nance undersized and always seems to be injured? He doesn't even seem like an upgrade. Great deal for The Cavs.

Larry Nance is 6'7"....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:05:28 PM by liam »

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Change that 14th pick into one of our later firsts, and I'd be interested in a deal.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum