Author Topic: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child  (Read 22444 times)

Re: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I understand the quarantine time for Hayward returning to the bubble, after the birth of his child. However, will Hayward have to leave the bubble early to self-quarantine before the expected birth of his child? Since the estimated birth day is not an exact science, when will he leave? What state will his wife be in for the delivery? Does he leave the team about two weeks before the expected due date?

As a father of two children, words can’t express the rollercoaster of emotions on the day they were born and being in the delivery room. Gordon should be there for the delivery, and I couldn’t be happier for him. I want to see the Celtics win the title as much as anyone here, but I wouldn’t want it at the expense of Hayward missing out on the birth of his child. Some things are simply more important.

Zoom birth. 

Virtually the same as being there. Could gather the team around. Robin would be good with that, right? Child could know that hall-of famers Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker and dad were all present at his/her birth prior to their first title together.

Have to agree here.  It's not exactly like it's their first child.  It's their fourth.  It's pretty well worn territory at this point. There's no reason not to telecommute to this event since the odds are good he won't be allowed into the delivery room anyways with the covid restrictions.
How many children do you have?

I think it's fine for Hayward to keep missing games if he's willing to renegotiate his salary.  He just seems to have picked up a little of that Kyrie mentality where he's so big it's fine to cash his checks but not show up for work.  I personally don't agree with that.  If he wants to miss important games he should be able to, but he's clearly worth less to the Celtics and his teammates.

That's only really a "hot take" if you believe people shouldn't have to show up to work to earn their pay.

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I understand the quarantine time for Hayward returning to the bubble, after the birth of his child. However, will Hayward have to leave the bubble early to self-quarantine before the expected birth of his child? Since the estimated birth day is not an exact science, when will he leave? What state will his wife be in for the delivery? Does he leave the team about two weeks before the expected due date?

As a father of two children, words can’t express the rollercoaster of emotions on the day they were born and being in the delivery room. Gordon should be there for the delivery, and I couldn’t be happier for him. I want to see the Celtics win the title as much as anyone here, but I wouldn’t want it at the expense of Hayward missing out on the birth of his child. Some things are simply more important.

Zoom birth. 

Virtually the same as being there. Could gather the team around. Robin would be good with that, right? Child could know that hall-of famers Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker and dad were all present at his/her birth prior to their first title together.

Have to agree here.  It's not exactly like it's their first child.  It's their fourth.  It's pretty well worn territory at this point. There's no reason not to telecommute to this event since the odds are good he won't be allowed into the delivery room anyways with the covid restrictions.

I think it's fine for Hayward to keep missing games if he's willing to renegotiate his salary.  He just seems to have picked up a little of that Kyrie mentality where he's so big it's fine to cash his checks but not show up for work.  I personally don't agree with that.  If he wants to miss important games he should be able to, but he's clearly worth less to the Celtics and his teammates.

That's only really a "hot take" if you believe people shouldn't have to show up to work to earn their pay.

I have to agree here, the guy is making 30 mil a year, I make significantly less and get no 'paternity leave' when my child is born.
No show to games, forfeit salary. If it's one or two games fine, but this could essentially cost him a month of time off during the playoffs.

I can sympathize because they obviously planned this child to be born during the off season but if we are in the midst of a title run he needs to suck it up and play. 

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The fact that you don't get paternity leave doesn't mean nobody should. It should be the other way around.

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I can't fault the guy for wanting to be there for the birth of his child.  I've done it twice and while I might not remember every detail of it I know missing it would be on my mind forever.

Also, the only reason they're even playing in September is because of extraordinary circumstances that no one could predict.  If this was planned it seems like they did everything they could to make sure he was ready to go when the season would have started.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:28:02 AM by RMO »

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I can't fault the guy for wanting to be there for the birth of his child.  I've done it twice and while I might not remember every detail of it I know missing it would be on my mind forever.

Also, the only reason they're even playing in September is because of extraordinary circumstances that no one could predict.  If this was planned it seems like they did everything they could to make sure he was ready to go when the season would have started.

TP for the actual reasonable take.

The fact that you don't get paternity leave doesn't mean nobody should. It should be the other way around.

America does have a tendency to ignore that one vital truth --- paternity leave should be mandatory.

People shouldn't be attacking others simply because they want to be there for the birth of their child.

I've done research papers on this, and it indicates men/women who have paternal leaves generally are more productive, appreciate the company more, and are prone to less fewer absences. Not to mention lifting morale and trust, along with the company's ability to attract and bring in new talent.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:44:56 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Go cut that cord, Gordon.

Was fortunate enough to do this for both my sons.

Do that, bond with the new one a bit then get back to ORL when you're ready. BOS needs his versatility.

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

Zoom birth. 

What if his employer approves of his absence and is willing to pay him? We know your history of disliking Hayward, but when has Hayward not shown up to work outside of a broken hand or foot facing the wrong way? In fact, you could argue he worked harder than any employee to try and get back to work as quickly as possible.

Let's hope the Celtics are still playing into September.  You dont know the due date and it could be a week missed for an excused absence. Sweep round 1 and let our opponent go 7 games.  Maybe no issue at all.

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Do that, bond with the new one a bit then get back to ORL when you're ready. BOS needs his versatility.

Unless Tatum has taken yet another leap forward in his progression, there probably won't be any reason to go back to Orlando. The Cs are going to be w/o one of their best players for an extended stretch during a vital time. I know why the Cs organization said this is 'okay' - they would like like monsters if they didn't - but they can't exactly be psyched.

I am not heartless. It's not that I don't think Hayward should want to be there for the birth of his child, but these are extenuating circumstances. When a guy makes $33M/yr and is one of the leaders of the team, it is different than - say - Javonte Green who barely plays and makes the league minimum. If it were Green, then I would send him off and wish him well, but Hayward is being paid a lot of money; and I just simply disagree with people who say it doesn't matter how much a player makes. Anyone here who says they wouldn't take $33M to miss the birth of their child is lying.

I also disagree with people who say he would be a 'bad' parent for not going to the birth of his - fourth - child. Being present for the birth of your child has no impact on the kind of father you will be and it's insulting to all fathers out there who weren't able to be there for their child's birth.

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Unless Tatum has taken yet another leap forward in his progression, there probably won't be any reason to go back to Orlando. The Cs are going to be w/o one of their best players for an extended stretch during a vital time. I know why the Cs organization said this is 'okay' - they would like like monsters if they didn't - but they can't exactly be psyched.

I am not heartless. It's not that I don't think Hayward should want to be there for the birth of his child, but these are extenuating circumstances. When a guy makes $33M/yr and is one of the leaders of the team, it is different than - say - Javonte Green who barely plays and makes the league minimum. If it were Green, then I would send him off and wish him well, but Hayward is being paid a lot of money; and I just simply disagree with people who say it doesn't matter how much a player makes. Anyone here who says they wouldn't take $33M to miss the birth of their child is lying.

I also disagree with people who say he would be a 'bad' parent for not going to the birth of his - fourth - child. Being present for the birth of your child has no impact on the kind of father you will be and it's insulting to all fathers out there who weren't able to be there for their child's birth.

I have 3 boys.  Nothing would have stopped me for being there for their birth.  Gordon is doing the right thing.  You DO NOT miss this for anything if you can help it.  His kids are a lot more important then the game of basketball.  It's his job.  Majority of jobs give people time away for the birth of their child. 

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Yes, it stinks he might cost us a few games or moving forward but he must have planned the birth for off season. Unfortunately Covid was not in his plan and who would have known late post season would be around time of birth. I do not fault him in any manner for leaving. It is commendable a player would put family above all else and this is the type of player I would like to have on my team and helping the community. Best of luck to him and his family.

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2020, 12:34:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I have 3 boys.  Nothing would have stopped me for being there for their birth.  Gordon is doing the right thing.  You DO NOT miss this for anything if you can help it.  His kids are a lot more important then the game of basketball.  It's his job.  Majority of jobs give people time away for the birth of their child.

I stand by what I said in my last paragraph. It's great that you were able to be there for the birth of all of your kids, but this does not make you a better father than those who were not. It's a soapbox type of comment that can only make people feel worse about themselves. There are tons of excellent fathers out there who did not make it to their child's birth.

And I get the sentiment - family is more important than basketball - but max players like Hayward are paid the amount they are specifically for instances like the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs. Choosing to miss time (not missing time due to an injury) is his prerogative, I just hope he realizes the choice he made and opts out after this season rather than picking up his $34M option.

If there was a way for him to wear a biohazard suit from Orlando to the hospital and back to Orlando, I would be all for it; but that doesn't seem to be how this works.

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Zoom birth. 

I have to agree here, the guy is making 30 mil a year, I make significantly less and get no 'paternity leave' when my child is born.
No show to games, forfeit salary. If it's one or two games fine, but this could essentially cost him a month of time off during the playoffs.

I can sympathize because they obviously planned this child to be born during the off season but if we are in the midst of a title run he needs to suck it up and play.

I never received paternity leave. Instead, I saved my vacation time and took out two weeks for the birth of both of my kids. Best vacations I ever had.

I really can't understand why this is even a debate. He should be there for the birth of his child. BTW, this may be his fourth child, but it will also be the first boy. And it's not just being there for the birth, it's also holding and bonding with the child for the first time. Also, he will want to be there for his wife and care for his other 3 kids, while his wife is recovering.

Additionally, if he did miss the birth due to peer pressure, do you honestly think he would be mentally fit to play basketball for the remainder of the season?

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Zoom birth. 

So my "Zoom birth" comment was meant as a joke (yes, I am not funny).  I think the decision to be there for his child's birth is a personal one and I don't think it should be discouraged by withholding $$. 

I think the idea of don't work/ no pay is valid for most things, but sickness, bereavement, birth of a child -- there are some things that we probably want people to take time and not worry about pay.   I am putting aside that being docked pay in this case isn't going to present a financial hardship - but the principle is the same whether you make $30M or $10,000.   And yes I think it should apply to all -- we should all have some paid time to experience the birth of children and support our partners.

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2020, 01:12:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Zoom birth. 

I never received paternity leave. Instead, I saved my vacation time and took out two weeks for the birth of both of my kids. Best vacations I ever had.

I really can't understand why this is even a debate. He should be there for the birth of his child. BTW, this may be his fourth child, but it will also be the first boy. And it's not just being there for the birth, it's also holding and bonding with the child for the first time. Also, he will want to be there for his wife and care for his other 3 kids, while his wife is recovering.

Additionally, if he did miss the birth due to peer pressure, do you honestly think he would be mentally fit to play basketball for the remainder of the season?

Yes, it stinks he might cost us a few games or moving forward but he must have planned the birth for off season. Unfortunately Covid was not in his plan and who would have known late post season would be around time of birth. I do not fault him in any manner for leaving. It is commendable a player would put family above all else and this is the type of player I would like to have on my team and helping the community. Best of luck to him and his family.

I agree with all of these points.

As a reminder, we need to remember this is just a game. At the end of the day, the birth of a child, and being bedside by your wife means a lot more sentimentally than trying to win a championship.

Am I upset that Hayward is missing out? Of course. But feelings aside, we should embrace someone who knows family comes first. That's an honorable trait. Not to mention, this will be Hayward's first boy. Something he has been looking forward to.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2020, 01:59:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I stand by what I said in my last paragraph. It's great that you were able to be there for the birth of all of your kids, but this does not make you a better father than those who were not. It's a soapbox type of comment that can only make people feel worse about themselves. There are tons of excellent fathers out there who did not make it to their child's birth.
I don't think I saw anybody in this thread asserting the one is less of a father for not having been able to be there for a child's birth.   If someone did, I missed it.

I think folks are simply advocating that if you _are_ able to be there, and it is important to you as a father, they are supportive of that priority.
And I get the sentiment - family is more important than basketball - but max players like Hayward are paid the amount they are specifically for instances like the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs. Choosing to miss time (not missing time due to an injury) is his prerogative, I just hope he realizes the choice he made and opts out after this season rather than picking up his $34M option.
When you add your "but .... $$$$" clause you are essentially saying family isn't more important than money.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.