Author Topic: End of Age restriction  (Read 8004 times)

End of Age restriction
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »

Offline Scout200

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
The NBA players hope to end the age restriction that forbids players from entering the NBA directly out of high school. How will this decision impact the NBA?

Re: End of Age restriction
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:21:27 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't agree with an age limit.

If you can pick up a gun to defend your country, u can pick up a ball to feed your family.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I could really care less about the age limit.  I personally think it is better for the league, but only marginally.  Of all the things being discussed for the new CBA, I think this is the least important.

The one thing it could be relevant for however, could be how it would affect them making a true minor league. 

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I could really care less about the age limit.  I personally think it is better for the league, but only marginally.  Of all the things being discussed for the new CBA, I think this is the least important.

The one thing it could be relevant for however, could be how it would affect them making a true minor league. 

While I agree that its better for the NBA.  I think it is hurting the college game which I also love.  Having all these one and done players that have no intention of actually graduating and are really just using the year as a year in the minor leagues really spit in the face of everything that the term "Student Athlete" stands for.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

While I agree that its better for the NBA.  I think it is hurting the college game which I also love.  Having all these one and done players that have no intention of actually graduating and are really just using the year as a year in the minor leagues really spit in the face of everything that the term "Student Athlete" stands for.

Really?  I think it has helped the NCAA...at least in ratings.  I know I am much more likely to tune into an NCAA game, knowing there is more talent on the floor.

Of course I think the whole "student athlete" thing is a joke when it comes to major, division 1 schools anyways, so there wasn't much to make a mockery of.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Really?  I think it has helped the NCAA...at least in ratings.  I know I am much more likely to tune into an NCAA game, knowing there is more talent on the floor.

Of course I think the whole "student athlete" thing is a joke when it comes to major, division 1 schools anyways, so there wasn't much to make a mockery of.

Basically I am just sour because I know BC won't allow Donahue to recruit guys that are gonna be clear one and done candidates so in my mind if we can't have them nobody can!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The NBA players hope to end the age restriction that forbids players from entering the NBA directly out of high school. How will this decision impact the NBA?

I think there is a way to placate both parties. The NBA needs to completely overhaul its D-League platform, allowing teams to 'stash' kinds in the D-League without needing to keep them on the active roster. That would allow more NBA vets (who I feel deserve it more) to be on NBA rosters instead of going to China or Latvia or something, where contracts are often not even paid, and it will increase the overall competition in the league.

By all rights, there is no way Avery Bradley or Luke Harangody should be on Boston's roster right now, but Boston has to keep them there because of the players "they might be" someday.

On the other hand guys like Antonio Daniels or other middling 12th man or so players should be on NBA rosters, but because guys like Avery Bradley *might* be good players one day, we need to keep them on the active lists.

Letting the D-League actually act as a legit minor league system is the #1 thing I think the NBA can to do improve quality of play, aside from contraction.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the game was better before all these phenoms that can't shoot or pass.  All they can do is jump out of this world.  I think they should up it.  I remember when 85-90% of the league could shoot nowadays its closer to 25%.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am for raising the age for players. 

Let them be better trained entering the league.

Give teams a better chance to scout players before they have to draft them.

End result should be better NBA basketball for the fans. 

I would be open to expanding the NBDL and the draft.  Have a third NBA draft round to pick players that go into the NBDL.  This is where a player out of High School can be drafted and go play and learn his craft.  He just can not join the NBA till he is of the proper age. 

Or, let them go overseas. 

They have the right to work.  They do not have the right to work for the NBA. 

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

If you can pick up a gun to defend your country, u can pick up a ball to feed your family.

Exactly. Once you're 18 you can ruin your life as you see fit. And then just change the channel when Outside the Lines has a feature about former nba first rounders that are broke
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:53:29 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »

Offline Scout200

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9

Excellent point!  Players like Lebron and Amar'e have proven that they belong from jump. Look at the league's present superstars and stars... Most of them came in straight out of high school or immediately after their freshman year.

Amar'e Stoudamire
Brandon Jennings
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard
John Wall
Josh Smith
Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett
Kevin Love
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Luol Deng
Michael Beasley is turning into a star
Monta Ellis

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Exactly. Once you're 18 you can ruin your life as you see fit. And then just change the channel when Outside the Lines has a feature about former nba first rounders that are broke

Don't for a second believe that the age limit has anything to do with helping the kids.  It is 100% about both protecting teams by giving them an extra year to pick these kids apart before giving them millions of dollars, as well as giving the kids an extra year of development on someone else's dime, so that they are closer to being productive when they get to the league.

And the league has every right to put that limit there, if they think it will be better for their bottom line.  Just like any other company can systematically decide not to hire people below a certain age (it is only illegal to not hire people because they are too old, if they are over...I think...40).

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They need to keep the age restriction and they also need to up the age limit. It is killing, not only the NCAA game, but it is killing college programs and college plans. One and done just kills a team, they put all their money into promoting their superstar for a year, then he bolts and puts them at the bottom of the totem pole again.

Im not gonna lie, the NBA should make their athletes go to college for four years or at least graduate before they are eligible to play in the league. I hate the fact that our world promotes entertainment over education. Especially when a majority of these "NBA role models" have a hard time spelling the words "role" and "model".

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
They need to keep the age restriction and they also need to up the age limit. It is killing, not only the NCAA game, but it is killing college programs and college plans. One and done just kills a team, they put all their money into promoting their superstar for a year, then he bolts and puts them at the bottom of the totem pole again.

Im not gonna lie, the NBA should make their athletes go to college for four years or at least graduate before they are eligible to play in the league. I hate the fact that our world promotes entertainment over education. Especially when a majority of these "NBA role models" have a hard time spelling the words "role" and "model".

I think requiring them to graduate is going way too far.  College is not for everyone, and it doesn't do all that much good if it isn't by choice.  They will just find more ways to beat the system.

I am on the other hand, completely in favor of raising the age limit another year or so.  But its players choice whether they want to go to college, play in another league for a few years, or whatever. 

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I'm against any age restriction. You're good enough and dunking on everyone at 14? Lace em up.