Author Topic: Should we have drafted buddy hield instead of brown?  (Read 5840 times)

Re: Should we have drafted buddy hield instead of brown?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
In 31.2 min, Hield is averaging 18.4 Pts (47.3% FG) 5.5 RB 2.7 assist
In 28.1 min, brown is averaging 11.1 pts (39.8%) 4.1 rb 1.3 assist
I'm not sure that evalutuating them  by comparing the worst 20 games Brown has ever played with the best 20 games Heild has ever played is really a fair way to look at it. Even if it was Brown is still way younger. And to be honest I think the end of last year proved that if given the riens Brown could put up numbers on a mediocre to bad team, because he put up numbers on a very good team. That doesnt mean his recet strugges arent concerning, but I'm not out on him yet. Get back to me in 2 months.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I agree that this isn't the right time to ask the question, but I think Hield can keep playing like this.  Last year I said on this board I still thought he could be a 20-4-4 guy, and I still do.  I wanted him back in that draft but I didn't know Jaylen well, and quickly embraced Jaylen.  Let's let JB find some middle ground between the playoffs and these 20 crap games, and re-evaluate.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not sure that evalutuating them  by comparing the worst 20 games Brown has ever played with the best 20 games Heild has ever played is really a fair way to look at it. Even if it was Brown is still way younger. And to be honest I think the end of last year proved that if given the riens Brown could put up numbers on a mediocre to bad team, because he put up numbers on a very good team. That doesnt mean his recet strugges arent concerning, but I'm not out on him yet. Get back to me in 2 months.
except those might not be the best 20 games Hield has ever played.  He was pretty [dang] good down the stretch last year and carried it over into this season, something Brown clearly did not do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
except those might not be the best 20 games Hield has ever played.  He was pretty [dang] good down the stretch last year and carried it over into this season, something Brown clearly did not do.

1. Always be leery of big numbers being put up by young players at the end of a season on a losing team.
2. Defense matters, especially in the playoffs, which Hield has never seen. Hield is not, nor will ever be a plus on defense. He doesn't have the length to switch or the lateral quickness to guard primary ball-handlers. He does not play passing lanes well and does not have good defensive instincts.
3. Hield is less than one year younger than Kyrie Irving. Brown is three years younger than Hield and has not had the opportunity to get the reps with the ball in his hands like Hield had in college (with a coach that focused on guard production) and in the pros on a lottery team.
4. I'd weigh Brown's best 20 games in the playoffs on an Eastern Conference Finalist team against Hield's best 20 games in October and November much more heavily.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That's right. Last year in the playoffs, JB was in 18 games. He scored 18/game, shooting 39% from 3, 52% overall, and played excellent defense. Lest we forget, he was about half speed for 2-3 of those games while he came back from an injury.

It's possible he'll never be that player again, but I don't see why that's likely. It's more likely he's having some adjustment issues and he'll figure them out. When that happens, look out below.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No, we should have drafted Jamal Murray.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
No, JB classic upside pick

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

That's right. Last year in the playoffs, JB was in 18 games. He scored 18/game, shooting 39% from 3, 52% overall, and played excellent defense. Lest we forget, he was about half speed for 2-3 of those games while he came back from an injury.

It's possible he'll never be that player again, but I don't see why that's likely. It's more likely he's having some adjustment issues and he'll figure them out. When that happens, look out below.
Classic TP.
Roles matter a lot.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Retrospectively, we should have pushed for a trade up with Philly for Simmons.

He is hands down the best player in the draft. The way I see it, he is a future hall of famer. Closest thing we've ever seen to Magic. There, I said it.

At the time, I would have drafted Brown as well.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No, we should have drafted Jamal Murray.

There's an outside chance that Murray isn't even the long-term answer at point guard for the Nuggets. They really like Monte Morris.

I know this is contrary to the narrative and therefore I'd probably get negative TPs if possible, but pay attention to how the situation develops. Murrays' efficiency is down and he still has not developed the ability to create for others. Plus, he is awful at defense. The best way to hide Jokic's defense is to have guards that can contain drives.

Just monitor the situation. Morris has gotten more minutes than Murray multiple games this season and has performed pretty well. He's steady, solid, and efficient.

Edit: A Paul Milsap and Jamal Murray trade for Aaron Gordon and Terrance Ross makes a lot of sense for both teams.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:17:53 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

He is hands down the best player in the draft. The way I see it, he is a future hall of famer. Closest thing we've ever seen to Magic. There, I said it.

While I agree he is probably the best player in the draft, probably need to pump the breaks on the hype for clear hall of famer. He has shown basically no improvement on his shot between since entering the league and is now in his third season. His numbers are all the same or slightly down this year. As of right now I wouldn’t even put him on the east all star team.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

This is my take as well.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

1. Always be leery of big numbers being put up by young players at the end of a season on a losing team.
2. Defense matters, especially in the playoffs, which Hield has never seen. Hield is not, nor will ever be a plus on defense. He doesn't have the length to switch or the lateral quickness to guard primary ball-handlers. He does not play passing lanes well and does not have good defensive instincts.
3. Hield is less than one year younger than Kyrie Irving. Brown is three years younger than Hield and has not had the opportunity to get the reps with the ball in his hands like Hield had in college (with a coach that focused on guard production) and in the pros on a lottery team.
4. I'd weigh Brown's best 20 games in the playoffs on an Eastern Conference Finalist team against Hield's best 20 games in October and November much more heavily.
1.  He carried that over into the next season though.  And the Kings are actually a decent team this year and above .500 well enough into the season that it isn't a fluke.  Hield is a big part of that success.
2. He is not a good defender.  No one ever said he was, but he is a much better offensive player than Brown overall and a significantly better shooter and probably always will be (at least with the shooting). 
3.  Yeah he is older, but they are both into year 3 and that is when players by and large really round into the player they will become.  You rarely see a guy, no matter his age, all of a sudden take off after their 3rd year (it does happen it is just very rare). 
4. As would I, but there are legit concerns regarding Brown and his inability to find a role on this team.  Of course even using the playoffs, Hield thus far this year is statistically outperforming what Brown did in the playoffs last year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

While I agree he is probably the best player in the draft, probably need to pump the breaks on the hype for clear hall of famer. He has shown basically no improvement on his shot between since entering the league and is now in his third season. His numbers are all the same or slightly down this year. As of right now I wouldn’t even put him on the east all star team.
Giannis cannot shoot the ball either, yet according to basketball reference he is the clear cut favorite to win MVP this season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.html

Never liked the Butler trade for Philly. I believe they should have surrounded Simmons with shooters, the way the Bucks have done with Giannis. Remember last season when the Sixers signed Belinelli-Ilyasova? That's when they started playing their best basketball.

At the end of the day, Simmons is a polarizing player. Either you love him or you consider him overrated. Personally speaking I'm really high on him, but at the same time I completely understand your point of view.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:32:36 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 03:11:04 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Stop worrying about JB.