Author Topic: Patric Young and DeShaun Thomas  (Read 5559 times)

Patric Young and DeShaun Thomas
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
The Cavs will have 3 picks in the 27-35 range.  Since this draft isnt especially strong in the middle, what do you guys think of trading down to get two cheaper picks.  Either a late 1st and an early 2nd or two early 2nds?

Reasons I like Thomas and Young:

1. Young is probably two inches taller than BAss and is very athletic, he could be a PF/C in a Wilcox type role.  This team needs more strength and athleticism up front.

2. Thomas is a scorer off the bench at the wing that this team is lacking.

3. Both guys are juniors with NBA ready bodies.  More mature physically and ready to help now.

4. Thomas could learna  lot from Pierce and may be able to improve enough to be a legit starting SF in a 3 years.

With 5 guards, 4 forwards, and two centers returning, these two could fill out the end of the bench.  Are they any betteer than DJ White and Terrence Williams?  Thats the $2 million question. 

There seems to be a lot of 7 foot project types in this draft, but Melo already fills that role. 

Re: Patric Young and DeShaun Thomas
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My team is the Celtics, I hope the Cavs lose every time they play us.  Projects are always risky.   It's too early to judge on Melo but he very well could be a bust someday.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Thomas has a pretty awful motor, but he was teammates with Sully.  If I were to get anybody from OSU, it would be Aaron Craft, who would be an excellent backup PG for Rondo.  He would probably be available in the second round.

As for Young, as far as I know, he's pretty undersized.  He brings great energy, a lot like Kenneth Faried.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Thomas has a pretty awful motor, but he was teammates with Sully.  If I were to get anybody from OSU, it would be Aaron Craft, who would be an excellent backup PG for Rondo.  He would probably be available in the second round.

As for Young, as far as I know, he's pretty undersized.  He brings great energy, a lot like Kenneth Faried.

Craft isn't coming out this year.  He's a junior, and he's not good enough to leave early.  Luckily for you (not for me, as I don't think his game will translate to the NBA at all) we have two second round picks next year, so it shouldn't be too hard to get him if the C's want him.

Thomas can really score.  At the spot the OP is talking about drafting, however, I'd probably prefer Jeff Withey.  Can't teach size, and he seems like a late bloomer.  Probably not going to be a star, but 7-footers who can give you rotation minutes don't grow on trees.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Craft isn't coming out this year.  He's a junior, and he's not good enough to leave early.  Luckily for you (not for me, as I don't think his game will translate to the NBA at all) we have two second round picks next year, so it shouldn't be too hard to get him if the C's want him.

Thomas can really score.  At the spot the OP is talking about drafting, however, I'd probably prefer Jeff Withey.  Can't teach size, and he seems like a late bloomer.  Probably not going to be a star, but 7-footers who can give you rotation minutes don't grow on trees.

I like Jeff Withey, too.  He can blocks shots pretty well, and his size would be nice to have, especially with Fab about two years away from really contributing.

Disagree about Craft.  Considering how weak this draft is, Craft would probably be an early-to-mid second rounder (so if we did a 1 for late 1 and early 2 with Cleveland, we could grab him.  Like I said, he'd be a backup, and he would bring solid defense, the ability to run an offense, and a good attitude.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Patrick Young seems to be on a collision course with I might consider it just to keep him away from them.

Does he project to be a big advanced stat guy like Perk? He averages 10 and 6 but I feel like his impact is bigger than that.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Thomas is really good.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 04:09:47 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Patric Young is probably the same height as Bass. He's a good rebounder but isn't the smartest player defensively. He's definitely underperformed at Florida but I wouldn't mind taking him since the draft isn't that strong. Chris Wilcox is definitely a good comparison.

I like the idea of Jeff Withey. Reminds me of Steimsa except with more upside.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 06:27:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Young is a better athlete than Bass.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:02 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Young is clearly taller than Bass.  Bass measured 6'6.25 in barefeet and shoes typically add 1.25 inches, making him 6'7.5 in NBA height.  Young measured 6'9 in shoes with a 7'1 wingspan in various summer camps.  Those numbers can be unreliable and imprecise but he looks 6'9 to me while I don't buy the wingspan numbers because his arms look short.  I'd say his wingspan is 6'10. 

Young's draft stock can't be too high right now.  He's barely improved at all in three seasons.  His rebounding remains stunningly poor.  As a junior, you lose the benefit of your lofty high school ranking and impressive physique and have to start producing better.  Even in this weak draft, which is mostly in terms of high caliber lottery prospect, I think he's a second-rounder.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I like young and think he will be a solid but unspectacular rotational 4 in the nba. He physically reminds me alot of Bass. Brandon is about and inch shorter (per draft express) but has a slightly longer wingspan.

Thomas I am skeptical of. He isnt big enough to realy be a 3/4 in the NBA. Ryan Gomes was an inch taller and had a 7'2 wingspan compared to his 6'9. He also isnt athletic enough to be a full time NBA 3. I think he is going to be stuck in the same situation as Luke Harangody both players are sized one position to small for the nba. If Thomas was two inches taller and/or had a 7' wingspan he makes it but he is going to prove to be to small in the nba.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Thomas will be a prolific scorer in the NBA!!

Craft has stated that he will forego the NBA for medical school....he is a 4.0 student

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thomas will be a prolific scorer in the NBA!!

Craft has stated that he will forego the NBA for medical school....he is a 4.0 student
wow, go figure.  a real student-athlete.  who knew they actually existed

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
My team is the Celtics, I hope the Cavs lose every time they play us.  Projects are always risky.   It's too early to judge on Melo but he very well could be a bust someday.

Melo was drafted too late to be a bust. He's either a steal or he's nothing. I think the line for busts is the lottery.

Now don't get me wrong, if PJIII becomes the next Kevin Durant I'll have a sour taste in my mouth but I think that Melo got drafted 3 spots higher than projected and in the mid-to-late first round there really aren't any busts.