Author Topic: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?  (Read 26817 times)

Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Maybe it's because more stories are being published - but maybe it's because of this wretched design that took the place of what was in-place and working just fine before.

It seems like comments on regular day-to-day posts are lower than before the design changes.

I love this new bleacher report attitude SBNation has adopted, emphasizing money and advertising over quality user experience.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Re: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't think my forum posting has been affected, but I will admit i completely skip the front page now and just go directly to the forums. I just hate the front page.

I just dislike the new layout, it's far to cluttered and generally if something really breaking gets posted on the front "magazine" page someone links to it in the forum and i discuss it here.

But if your question is "is forum participation down" I don't think so, generally it is high at the beginning of the season, ebbs in the middle, and comes back towards the end and playoffs.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »

Kiorrik

I don't think my forum posting has been affected, but I will admit i completely skip the front page now and just go directly to the forums. I just hate the front page.
Ditto. Loads WAYYY too slow due to the boatload of http requests, 2k+ DOM elements and far too many DNS requests.

From a technical point of view, it's really, really, REALLY heavy. Even when you DON'T take into account that it's a news-site, which is supposed to be fast and agile as opposed to all pretty and stuff.

Usability-wise I'm not even going to start dissing it, because it's slowness drags every other part of the experience down.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:17:45 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Ditto. Loads WAYYY too slow due to the boatload of http requests, 2k+ DOM elements and far too many DNS requests.

From a technical point of view, it's really, really, REALLY heavy. Even when you DON'T take into account that it's a news-site, which is supposed to be fast and agile as opposed to all pretty and stuff.

Usability-wise I'm not even going to start dissing it, because it's slowness drags every other part of the experience down.

My experience has been similar to the above. Also, the fanposts are further down now and people comment far less. Now I pretty much skip them altogether.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:26:22 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
One thing that is confusing in this new design
How can you check on your profile your last posts that you posted?

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:33:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
One thing that is confusing in this new design
How can you check on your profile your last posts that you posted?

Click on name in a post or if its you, click on 'profile'

Mouse over (or click if on your phone) profile again on the top menu

Show messages

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm curious as to the answer of this question as well.  I love this site.  I have since the delonte draft and always will, but the new design has me just reading the forums now as well. 

I know there was a lot of complaining about it when the change was just made.  I didn't want to pile on then b/c I always hate when websites change, but usually I get used to it and am happy for it.  Not this time.  It really has decreased the amount of time I spend on the site overall.  And that's not even taking in the fact that I used to use EI to browse the site during the day on my work computer, and now I can't even do that.

So Jeff and everyone else who puts this site on.  I really appreciate what you do, have done, and are trying to do with this.  It will always be the first Celtics site I browse to, but I think you missed the mark with this redesign. 

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:16:20 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Even when you DON'T take into account that it's a news-site, which is supposed to be fast and agile as opposed to all pretty and stuff.
Emphasis on this.

Old Celticsblog = reading a newspaper, you skim through the front page and turn to the story that interests you most.

New Celticsblog = a magazine that wastes time because it makes you skip over all the meaningless pages.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 01:37:38 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I just read the forums now. The home page just never grew on me. It might be like that for most ppl and that's why comments are down.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:06:01 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

I like the new design, myself.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 02:12:51 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Gotta agree ... I'm just not visiting the front page much anymore, or navigating from there, but come directly to the forums. Profile friendliness has decreased as well, IMO ... I think most of us love this site like a second home, but it feels like we've been moved to a new neighborhood, one with too many new signs and added streets.

This has always been a wonderful site, but the whole "improvement" thing just keeps coming back to "Why fix it if it ain't broke?" Sums it up for me, because it's far less user-friendly now, and I don't get why this was needed. Guess I'm just one of those people who miss the golden arches. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:13:55 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I have it saved in my bookmark so it goes straight to the forum. I can't stand the new page to be completely honest  :(

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:35 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Triple ditto the front page is bloated and awful don't ever go to it since the redesign to be honest. The forums haven't changed though they're good.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
It's horrible.

And for those of you who aren't aware, Jeff himself didn't orchestrate or facilitate the changes. SBNation imposed them on all child sites in order to promote more advertisement displays and encourage higher click rates, and things of that nature. Hence the Bleacher Report comparison - those guys do everything for money, SBNation is simply following in their footsteps as they have quite the following now. Too many growing businesses lose site of the customer's perspective when they get a market share of anything.

The old design was far less convoluted, loaded faster, presented material more effectively (for viewers), and was just much less cluttered and busy. I'm sure tons of people skip the front page and head straight to the forums as well, but will never post about it. Either way, there's no getting the old site back, I was just curious as to whether the new design had a direct impact on the lack of user activity on front page articles.

And yes - moving the fan posts section that low was a mistake. Sad, Jeff is now posting things like "fan post Friday" to (ironically) use the new, confusing headline features to bring traffic to the fan pages.

'Tis unfortunate, to say the least

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 03:10:45 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't mind the site design as much as I did when it first launched.  They've made significant improvements.