Author Topic: Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread  (Read 13768 times)

Re: Ray Allen - Book excerpts - merged thread
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2018, 05:15:54 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I know its popular to hate Ray but the truth is that of the 3 stars that won together in '08 he sacrificed the most. A lot of fan don't remember or just don't know how complete of an offensive player he was in Milwaukee and Seattle. He wasn't just the spot up shooter he became in Boston (and then moreso Miami) but he took his limited role and helped the C's win a championship and did his best in losing efforts for a few more.

The book sounds whiny but I've got nothing but respect for him and how he carried himself as a ball player.

I agree that Ray sacrificed the most and didn't complain at the time, and that he was always a professional (and my favorite player on the team). However, are you really that professional if, when you've retired, you start badmouthing your former teammates and complain about a lot of things that you didn't complain about at the time ? To me, that's kind of ruining everything you've accomplished during your career and were known for.

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2018, 06:53:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
However, are you really that professional if, when you've retired, you start badmouthing your former teammates and complain about a lot of things that you didn't complain about at the time ? To me, that's kind of ruining everything you've accomplished during your career and were known for

I thought Ray was a class act until he left here.   Then he revealed himself to be somewhat petty and very bitter human. 

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I know its popular to hate Ray but the truth is that of the 3 stars that won together in '08 he sacrificed the most. A lot of fan don't remember or just don't know how complete of an offensive player he was in Milwaukee and Seattle. He wasn't just the spot up shooter he became in Boston (and then moreso Miami) but he took his limited role and helped the C's win a championship and did his best in losing efforts for a few more.

The book sounds whiny but I've got nothing but respect for him and how he carried himself as a ball player.

I agree that Ray sacrificed the most and didn't complain at the time, and that he was always a professional (and my favorite player on the team). However, are you really that professional if, when you've retired, you start badmouthing your former teammates and complain about a lot of things that you didn't complain about at the time ? To me, that's kind of ruining everything you've accomplished during your career and were known for.

It feels petty but a little pettiness in his retirement does not, to my mind, ruin an entire career of great play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2018, 05:02:58 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Not totally letting Ray off the hook for what he revealed, but his co-author, Michael Arkush, should shoulder some of the responsibility. He knew that controversy would sell more copies. More sales could lead to more athletes signing with him to write books in the future. The writer may have had a percentage of sales agreement. He may have tried to convince Ray that controversy is the way to go even though he knew that it might hurt him in the long run.

Also, it wasn't the author's reputation on the line. If it were, then maybe some things would not have come up. Ray definitely didn't get good advice about what he should have included or left out. Ultimately though, it was his choice.

If the author was purposely looking to create controversy...he succeeded. I wonder how much it helped book sales? My feeling is, it helped a lot. We are still talking about it. Thus, it's free publicity.

In any event, this book hasn't helped Ray's image with some of his former teammates and some Celtics fans. Personally, I still like Ray and what he did for our team. He always gave 100% on and off the court. His personal training regimen is legendary. Most importantly, he did his best to help the team win. With his balky ankle(s) he could have used injuries as an excuse to take a lot of time off. He didn't. He played through pain and kept himself in optimal shape to be on the court as much as possible. 

What is interesting is that we are learning that Championships are not always what we believe them to be, i.e., one big fun time for all. For example, we are finding that out about the Patriot's Super Bowl wins as well. As some former players are revealing what it was like to be on those teams.

One of Michael Arkush's books, 'Fight of the Century', is a revealing look at the behind the scenes drama of the Ali-Frasier fight in 1971. Thus, we find that Arkush is not one to back down from controversy.

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
However, are you really that professional if, when you've retired, you start badmouthing your former teammates and complain about a lot of things that you didn't complain about at the time ? To me, that's kind of ruining everything you've accomplished during your career and were known for

I thought Ray was a class act until he left here.   Then he revealed himself to be somewhat petty and very bitter human. 

Agreed. Amusingly enough, he's still bewildered why many in the Boston community have lost the respect for him, then he goes on media tours like this and releasing books like this throwing mud around.