Author Topic: Rondo goes through full practice  (Read 20604 times)

Re: Rondo goes through full practice
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/527136425108865024

Sounds like the decision's mostly on Rondo. So I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't play.

Has the team training staff come out one way or another on this?  Wouldn't the decision be more on them than Rondo?  Would the organization really let him play if he's not cleared?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Sounds like the decision's mostly on Rondo. So I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't play.

Has the team training staff come out one way or another on this?  Wouldn't the decision be more on them than Rondo?  Would the organization really let him play if he's not cleared?

Just an assumption, but if he's been in full contact practices, I think it's okay to assume the training staff as cleared him. Also I don't think training staffs make a huge deal out of hand injuries. Sully played with a burnt out finger last year. Kobe used to play with broken fingers. With hand injuries, it almost feels like it's more up to a player after a certain point.

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2014, 12:52:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Just an assumption, but if he's been in full contact practices, I think it's okay to assume the training staff as cleared him. Also I don't think training staffs make a huge deal out of hand injuries. Sully played with a burnt out finger last year. Kobe used to play with broken fingers. With hand injuries, it almost feels like it's more up to a player after a certain point.

Valid point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
And also, here's more to that:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4715324/rondo-a-nap-time-decision-vs-nets

"[Rondo] has one more imaging [test on his hand] after practice [Tuesday] and then they’ll go from there," said Stevens. "I think it’s more about his comfort level right now. I think [the trainers] feel like he’s progressed well and healed appropriately."
"I make the call at the end of the day, as far as my comfort level," said Rondo. "I don’t want to have any second thoughts when I go out there and play."
"Don’t be surprised if you see me in warm-ups tomorrow," said Rondo. "I have to address the crowd tomorrow night [before the opener], so I’ll be on the court tomorrow night, regardless."
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am surprised so many do not remember the beginning of the 2012-13 season and because of a poor overall team record during that time that they are so quick to place the blame on Rondo, who with KG were about the only players on the Celtics at that time that were playing well.

- Bradley was out during almost the entire time that Rondo was playing and was healthy to start that season.
- Pierce came into camp out of shape and played some of his worst ever as a Celtic during that period. Offensively he had an ORtg of about 102(as compared to a career 107) and a TS% of 52%(as compared to a career 57%)
- Jeff Green was just coming back from his heart surgery, was out of NBA shape and averaged 9 PPG, 3 RPG, with a TS% of about 50% and an ORtg less than 100.
- Sullinger was a rookie and showed an occasional flash of what he could be but was overall not good.
- Jason Terry was just pathetic in both phases of the game and has never recovered.
- Courtney Lee though he shot slightly above average was unaggressive and didn't appear to fit well with the team or get the offensive or defensive rotations. His normally very good defense was extremely poor
- Bass was Bass with all the good and bad that entails though didn't seem to be shooting as much or as well as he did the two years before that.

Meanwhile, Rondo was averaging a career best 13.7 PPG, 11.1 APG, 1.8 SPG, shooting 51.2% on two point shots and appeared to have developed a real mid range game, something that was lacking from his arsenal up until that time. His defense though did appear to have taken a step back though, I will say that.

But to look at the C's 20-23 record and state it was Rondo's fault is just not paying attention to all the other variables that were occurring at the time or the fact that starting in February Sullinger, Green, Lee, and Pierce started playing much better overall basketball individually, probably because they were just rounding into playing shape or getting familiar with the team concepts and system.

And all this doesn't even address the fact that Doc Rivers probably had his worst coaching performance of his Celtic career that year.

Just not getting the whole "The past two years the Celtics have played better without Rondo than with him" phenomenon. Its an aberration that doesn't take into consideration the multitude on contextual variables that need to be addressed before jumping to the conclusions that some are based on that one statistic.
nick, a good post as usual, but on the last point I think the argument you are trying to address is a bit more nuanced, at least the one I have seen. It is not a case of "celtics played better without Rondo" as much as "the proposal by many that Rondo makes the Celtics better in terms of w/l" does not seem supported by the data. and for me, w/l record is one very very important data point in assessing whether a team is better or not. it is not a "rondo's fault" argument, though i can see how it could easily be described as such.

next, you mentioned a number of factors that supposed explained why we cannot hold Rondo responsible for loses, yet that begs the question of whether other factors would hold him equally non-responsible for for the wins. that is, i don't see any obvious balance in your larger argument.

final point on the points you raise to mitigate Rondo's role in the losses and thereby (implicitly) promote his role in the wins, how do we know the points you raise are any more important than the "limited contribution to wins" argument put forth by others? for example, did all these reasons mentioned suddenly cease and end simultaneously with the loss of rondo? none of them continued past the point of rondo's departure?
I think you are reading to much into what I wrote and trying to confuse the issue. The crowd I am addressing my post to seems to have decided that because the Celtics were 20-23 when Rondo got hurt in 2012-13 and then had a better record after he got hurt that the one reasonable conclusion to draw is that Rondo was the reason why they lost more with him than without him.

I am addressing the beginning of that season and showing reasons why the team had a 20-23 record when Rondo went down that takes into context a number of other variables besides Rondo's play that explains why the Celtics had a losing record. Also, I addressed why the team then had a better record after Rondo went down, namely a myriad of players started actually getting the system, played themselves into shape and also, something I didn't mention but is a fairly well known sports axiom, the rest of the players picked up the slack because one of their best players went down with injury.

I feel people are looking at the one stat over the last two years of the Celtics record with and without Rondo and drawing a non-contextual conclusion based solely on wins and loses and are not considering the multitude of other factors that contributed to that statistic.

And I am not saying Rondo's play didn't have some role in that record. His defense has stunk for two years and definitely contributed to those losses. Its the same way his increased scoring in 2012-13 with a better midrange game and stellar passing help to contribute to the wins. Players, all players on a team are responsible for the wins and the losses. Even the greats do not get a pass on responsibility for losses even though their play may be the reason a team is in a game to begin with. Its a two way street for every player from the superduperstars all the way down to the little used bench players.

Rondo shares in the responsibility for having a poor record in the beginning of that season but he isn't the only reason they had a losing record while he played and might be less culpable than others regarding the reasons for that record, the same way he might be more responsible for the wins though not solely responsible.

All I am saying is let's not tunnelvision Rondo's effect on the team and make him solely responsible for the bad record the team has had while he has played the last two years without not looking at every single factor involved, as many, many posters have seemingly done.

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I am surprised so many do not remember the beginning of the 2012-13 season and because of a poor overall team record during that time that they are so quick to place the blame on Rondo, who with KG were about the only players on the Celtics at that time that were playing well.

- Bradley was out during almost the entire time that Rondo was playing and was healthy to start that season.
- Pierce came into camp out of shape and played some of his worst ever as a Celtic during that period. Offensively he had an ORtg of about 102(as compared to a career 107) and a TS% of 52%(as compared to a career 57%)
- Jeff Green was just coming back from his heart surgery, was out of NBA shape and averaged 9 PPG, 3 RPG, with a TS% of about 50% and an ORtg less than 100.
- Sullinger was a rookie and showed an occasional flash of what he could be but was overall not good.
- Jason Terry was just pathetic in both phases of the game and has never recovered.
- Courtney Lee though he shot slightly above average was unaggressive and didn't appear to fit well with the team or get the offensive or defensive rotations. His normally very good defense was extremely poor
- Bass was Bass with all the good and bad that entails though didn't seem to be shooting as much or as well as he did the two years before that.

Meanwhile, Rondo was averaging a career best 13.7 PPG, 11.1 APG, 1.8 SPG, shooting 51.2% on two point shots and appeared to have developed a real mid range game, something that was lacking from his arsenal up until that time. His defense though did appear to have taken a step back though, I will say that.

But to look at the C's 20-23 record and state it was Rondo's fault is just not paying attention to all the other variables that were occurring at the time or the fact that starting in February Sullinger, Green, Lee, and Pierce started playing much better overall basketball individually, probably because they were just rounding into playing shape or getting familiar with the team concepts and system.

And all this doesn't even address the fact that Doc Rivers probably had his worst coaching performance of his Celtic career that year.

Just not getting the whole "The past two years the Celtics have played better without Rondo than with him" phenomenon. Its an aberration that doesn't take into consideration the multitude on contextual variables that need to be addressed before jumping to the conclusions that some are based on that one statistic.
nick, a good post as usual, but on the last point I think the argument you are trying to address is a bit more nuanced, at least the one I have seen. It is not a case of "celtics played better without Rondo" as much as "the proposal by many that Rondo makes the Celtics better in terms of w/l" does not seem supported by the data. and for me, w/l record is one very very important data point in assessing whether a team is better or not. it is not a "rondo's fault" argument, though i can see how it could easily be described as such.

next, you mentioned a number of factors that supposed explained why we cannot hold Rondo responsible for loses, yet that begs the question of whether other factors would hold him equally non-responsible for for the wins. that is, i don't see any obvious balance in your larger argument.

final point on the points you raise to mitigate Rondo's role in the losses and thereby (implicitly) promote his role in the wins, how do we know the points you raise are any more important than the "limited contribution to wins" argument put forth by others? for example, did all these reasons mentioned suddenly cease and end simultaneously with the loss of rondo? none of them continued past the point of rondo's departure?
I think you are reading to much into what I wrote and trying to confuse the issue. The crowd I am addressing my post to seems to have decided that because the Celtics were 20-23 when Rondo got hurt in 2012-13 and then had a better record after he got hurt that the one reasonable conclusion to draw is that Rondo was the reason why they lost more with him than without him.

I am addressing the beginning of that season and showing reasons why the team had a 20-23 record when Rondo went down that takes into context a number of other variables besides Rondo's play that explains why the Celtics had a losing record. Also, I addressed why the team then had a better record after Rondo went down, namely a myriad of players started actually getting the system, played themselves into shape and also, something I didn't mention but is a fairly well known sports axiom, the rest of the players picked up the slack because one of their best players went down with injury.

I feel people are looking at the one stat over the last two years of the Celtics record with and without Rondo and drawing a non-contextual conclusion based solely on wins and loses and are not considering the multitude of other factors that contributed to that statistic.

And I am not saying Rondo's play didn't have some role in that record. His defense has stunk for two years and definitely contributed to those losses. Its the same way his increased scoring in 2012-13 with a better midrange game and stellar passing help to contribute to the wins. Players, all players on a team are responsible for the wins and the losses. Even the greats do not get a pass on responsibility for losses even though their play may be the reason a team is in a game to begin with. Its a two way street for every player from the superduperstars all the way down to the little used bench players.

Rondo shares in the responsibility for having a poor record in the beginning of that season but he isn't the only reason they had a losing record while he played and might be less culpable than others regarding the reasons for that record, the same way he might be more responsible for the wins though not solely responsible.

All I am saying is let's not tunnelvision Rondo's effect on the team and make him solely responsible for the bad record the team has had while he has played the last two years without not looking at every single factor involved, as many, many posters have seemingly done.
and to once again fixate on your final point, i agree with that approach and phrasing of the question. rondo is no more solely responsible for all the wins than he is all the losses. that is simple enough. thanks for the follow up explanation, it helped me understand you argument better.

how we weigh the many factors involved in the celtics record is the key, isn't it? but this season may provide some answers to the value of rondo to the celtics in the here and now. i am looking forward to another year of watching our celtics....win or lose, rondo or not.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
TP hwang.

I do believe though that no matter how well Rondo plays this team is still going to have a losing record which, unfortunately, will only add to this Rondo W-L phenomenon as people won't take into consideration that the Celtics were going to be bad regardless of Rondo's play, much like last year.

« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2014, 04:45:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
TP hwang.

I do believe though that no matter how well Rondo plays this team is still going to have a losing record which, unfortunately, will only add to this Rondo W-L phenomenon as people won't take into consideration that the Celtics were going to be bad regardless of Rondo's play, much like last year.

1-0 tomorrow night.

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
TP hwang.

The Celtics are not going to be a good team and that will not be something Rondo alone can correct but the Celtics with a healthy Rondo should play better than the team at the beginning of last season which was winning with Jordan Crawford.

Last season, based on Won-Loss record, the Celtics performed better with Jordan Crawford than they did with Rondo.  The built in excuse for that is that Rondo was not 100%, wasn't explosive, didn't have his timing, was rusty... (and yes, Crawford did play out of this world for a good stretch of that, a level he did not sustain).

So is Jordan Crawford playing at his best more valuable to a team than Rondo coming back from injury?  It appears so.  How about more valuable than Rondo after a whole off season? We will see.

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's not just the last 2 seasons that the C's have had a better record minus Rondo. We haven't had a better record with Rondo since the 2010-11 season.

So is he really making his teammates around him better? Or is his ball dominating style conducive to big assist numbers, but necessarily in improving teammates and allowing them the opportunity to get much rhythm offensively?

2011-12

w/out
8 wins 5 losses
win percentage 62%

with
31 wins 22 losses
win percentage 58%

Playoffs w/out
1 win 0 losses

Playoffs with 10-9
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:44:22 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'll sure be happy when the games start and folks here have something to talk about. :D

« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Boston Celtics        ? @celtics
Follow

Brad Stevens says Rondo will have one more imaging test after prac before deciding on tomorrow. Rondo told Stevens to tell media he's at 83%

where does Rondo get those numbers - 79% and 83%?

83% comes from being 4% better than the last time they asked that question.

Where does any athlete get their numbers?  Our bodies don't have a readout.  I don't think it's just to be funny, I think he's probably giving honest guesses.  He just knows that guys always give perfectly round estimates, and that's not real.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's not just the last 2 seasons that the C's have had a better record minus Rondo. We haven't had a better record with Rondo since the 2010-11 season.

So is he really making his teammates around him better? Or is his ball dominating style conducive to big assist numbers, but necessarily in improving teammates and allowing them the opportunity to get much rhythm offensively?

2011-12

w/out
8 wins 5 losses
win percentage 62%

with
31 wins 22 losses
win percentage 58%

Playoffs w/out
1 win 0 losses

Playoffs with 10-9

Not to argue with the point you are trying to make, as I really think it's a moot point, but the sample sizes you reference here, and trying to compare and draw an conclusion from them is ridiculous.

You're comparing a 13 game sample to a 53 game sample.  Who did they play during those 13 games?  Were they cupcakes, or top teams?  Who else was out during the other 53 games, that might have been playing during the 13 games?

And comparing 1 playoff game to an 11 game sample is even more absurd.  You really make yourself look foolish on that one.

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2014, 07:31:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
TP hwang.

I agree ...it's how I feel.......but I hope we are wrong.

« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I'll sure be happy when the games start and folks here have something to talk about. :D

ha, ha, ha...how true. tp. though i am sure each game thread with end with a trade/dont trade rondo argument.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva