Poll

Who would you rather have moving forward?

Thompson
9 (20.5%)
Theis
35 (79.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Tristan Thompson or Daniel Theis?  (Read 8043 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson or Daniel Theis?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The poll is a simple question of who you prefer between the two. We've seen numerous posts about how we should be looking to move Theis since he isn't playing as well this season and because of his pending FA status. But, he is also making half as much as Thompson - does anybody think Theis will actually make more than $10M/yr next season?

After the Indy deal fell through (don't even get me started on that), I was fully in favor of the Thompson signing - he seemed to be everything we needed as a strong, mobile big man, who could defend and rebound. Unfortunately, he hasn't come quite as advertised - especially defensively - and he adds absolutely nothing in terms of offense. He's like the anti-Kanter - only Kanter was at least a huge body on defense. Funny enough, would we rather have Kanter?

If I were Danny, I would be calling around the league gauging interest in Thompson. His inclusion alone in a deal would allow us to use almost the entire TPE while staying under the tax this season. And if you want to pick up a 3rd string C for the minimum, we can still do that. I like Thompson and I love his effort, but I think I'd rather see more TL and Theis - now and in the future.

That's a point I also was looking to make. TP

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
The poll is a simple question of who you prefer between the two. We've seen numerous posts about how we should be looking to move Theis since he isn't playing as well this season and because of his pending FA status. But, he is also making half as much as Thompson - does anybody think Theis will actually make more than $10M/yr next season?

After the Indy deal fell through (don't even get me started on that), I was fully in favor of the Thompson signing - he seemed to be everything we needed as a strong, mobile big man, who could defend and rebound. Unfortunately, he hasn't come quite as advertised - especially defensively - and he adds absolutely nothing in terms of offense. He's like the anti-Kanter - only Kanter was at least a huge body on defense. Funny enough, would we rather have Kanter?

If I were Danny, I would be calling around the league gauging interest in Thompson. His inclusion alone in a deal would allow us to use almost the entire TPE while staying under the tax this season. And if you want to pick up a 3rd string C for the minimum, we can still do that. I like Thompson and I love his effort, but I think I'd rather see more TL and Theis - now and in the future.

When was the last time Ainge traded a veteran Free Agent in the same season they signed, much less in the first couple months of the season? Ever? That's bad for business.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 10:49:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think trading Thomas at this point is way to soon.   Let the full team get together first and build some chemistry.   

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 11:18:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As I said, I'd rather keep Theis moving forward, but I wouldn't move either of them this year as no one you bring in for either of them is going to move the needle more then them anyway.

And I'm really confused why people thought Thompson was a great defender.  He has never been a great defender. He isn't bad, but he isn't some great defender.  He also isn't a rim protector and never has been one.  He is strong and can defend both big true centers and faster PF type big men, so he has that versatility, but he isn't great doing any of it.  A nice solid defender that rebounds well is useful, but when that guy is a terrible offensive player, he is nothing more than a role player.  There is a reason the Cavs had no real interest in bringing him back.  He just isn't going to move the needle at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As I said, I'd rather keep Theis moving forward, but I wouldn't move either of them this year as no one you bring in for either of them is going to move the needle more then them anyway.

And I'm really confused why people thought Thompson was a great defender.  He has never been a great defender. He isn't bad, but he isn't some great defender.  He also isn't a rim protector and never has been one.  He is strong and can defend both big true centers and faster PF type big men, so he has that versatility, but he isn't great doing any of it.  A nice solid defender that rebounds well is useful, but when that guy is a terrible offensive player, he is nothing more than a role player.  There is a reason the Cavs had no real interest in bringing him back.  He just isn't going to move the needle at all.

He got that rep as great defender from championship finals game where he guarded Curry in a sequence effectively.  He also frustrated Al Horford a lot when Al played here.  That is all I can think of. You are right, he is not very good defensively. And is very limited offensively. I feel the full MLE was a major overpay for him.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 11:57:46 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Thompson needs to do a better job scoring the ball and not having stone hands when he's trying to retrieve low bounce passes. He also is way worse above the rim than I imagined!

I'm not super impressed by Thompson yet, but I have hope he'll get better as the year goes along!

Neither should be our starter next season, though.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

It really depends who they are bringing in. Thompson has not been playing well, but he can somewhat hold his own against big centers in the league like Embiid, Lopez, Jordan, Drummond, Sabonis, Turner, etc. Theis cannot. Same height, but Thompson seems to be much stronger.

Letting Kanter go was a mistake. Thompson’s defense is overrated and I would rather have Kanter who can score the ball and is just as good of a rebounder. He’s also making about half the amount of money as Thompson is... Sacramento is the only team that I can think of who may be a good trading partner for the C’s as they have Bagley, Holmes and Whiteside.

Funny enough, I like SAC as a trading partner using the TPE and Thompson for Barnes (or even Hield). I know this goes against your reasoning that they have too many big men - so why would they want another one - but it's not like their big rotation is killing it.

John Zannis (CLNS) had a funny comparison for Thompson last week saying he was like the little brother playing basketball against his big brothers. The big brothers keep tapping the ball away from him while he keeps jumping and trying his hardest to get the ball. Thompson's effort can't be questioned, but the results are concerning so far. I at least liked the different look somebody like Kanter brought to the team.

I don’t see how bringing in Barnes is going to help the Celtics big man problem. Unless Whiteside or another big is coming back with him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

It really depends who they are bringing in. Thompson has not been playing well, but he can somewhat hold his own against big centers in the league like Embiid, Lopez, Jordan, Drummond, Sabonis, Turner, etc. Theis cannot. Same height, but Thompson seems to be much stronger.

Letting Kanter go was a mistake. Thompson’s defense is overrated and I would rather have Kanter who can score the ball and is just as good of a rebounder. He’s also making about half the amount of money as Thompson is... Sacramento is the only team that I can think of who may be a good trading partner for the C’s as they have Bagley, Holmes and Whiteside.

Must have missed that last night as Embiid destroyed him.

I really hadn't watched much of him before this year, but I must admit, I'm not impressed.
He works hard on the boards, but not seeing anything besides that. He does not defend well, he doesn't defend the rim, and may be the worst offensive player in the NBA. Can't pass, shot and most certainly create a shot for himself. It's painful to watch him try and make a move to the hoop. Slow and no handle. It looked like when he got the ball in the post, he mostly wanted to get rid of it.

On a positive note, he seems like a nice guy and a good team mate, for what that's worth.

No, he destroyed Theis. Least Thompson mad him work. Theis was like a fly on his back. No resistance whatsoever.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 12:59:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Funny enough, I like SAC as a trading partner using the TPE and Thompson for Barnes (or even Hield). I know this goes against your reasoning that they have too many big men - so why would they want another one - but it's not like their big rotation is killing it.

John Zannis (CLNS) had a funny comparison for Thompson last week saying he was like the little brother playing basketball against his big brothers. The big brothers keep tapping the ball away from him while he keeps jumping and trying his hardest to get the ball. Thompson's effort can't be questioned, but the results are concerning so far. I at least liked the different look somebody like Kanter brought to the team.

I don’t see how bringing in Barnes is going to help the Celtics big man problem. Unless Whiteside or another big is coming back with him.

I don't think we are going to solve our big man problem. I'd rather bring in an actual useful player and split the C minutes up among Theis and TL with some Grant/vet min FA C.

I'll give him a little more time to acclimate - I actually really like him as a person and he gives very solid effort. Perhaps that is enough of a reason to keep him around this season. But, as far as usefulness on this roster, it appears we swung and missed on both of our vet FA acquisitions. At least Teague is vet min, though.

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 01:08:31 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Even for experimented solid guys, adaptation take time; you see just the true Conley after one year in Utah. Tristan needs more time before being judged definitely. Whatever I take him far behind Kanter. He is playable as a titulary, he brings energy, posivity, mental approach in and out games. And he made a career 1 match on 3 PO double double. He was a correct center in a champion team. He is a below average starter maybe but is a correct 4th/5th player on a conteding team. He will be OK. I am more concerned about Grant being what many of us, like I did, a potential usefull titulary with good Off/def IQ, switchable 4 posts with room as a catch and shooter.
 I don't think it is our center rotation wich will be a problem (esp for the price we pay them); but we need to find the rare pearl at the 4/3 for TPE if we really think we can contend.

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 01:50:02 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Thompson is horrible.

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thompson needs to get himself into better shape. He sure seems to be playing at 10-15 pounds heavier than he was in the LeBron playoff days in Cleveland. I think the time off and injury before coming in to training camp really hurt him. He doesn't seem as athletic as he once appeared in Cleveland.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't get the either/or.  Neither is great but they are our best two bigs at the moment so we need to keep them both.  I think the question is how to deploy them.  I thought it was a good idea to play them together as the core unit, Thompson as the C and Theis as the PF.  That pairing has not been great.

The last few games they have brought Theis off the bench.  That seems to have improved Theis's numbers but it is hard to gage if that is making the team better.  This may also be a reaction to not having RWilliams who normally gets minutes as the back up C.  The pairings have been Thompson/GWilliams to start and Theis/Ojeleye off the bench.

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
have to admit I'd gladly move on from them if we could get a decent quality big man that can defend, rebound and score at least around the basket. 

Theis finally had a game where he wasn't getting stuffed offensively or fumbling the ball away.  Defensively, the refs just see him as an automatic foul call regardless of whether he committed one or not.  Thompson is a bit better on the boards but offensively he offers almost nothing and offers only a bit more physical resistance against bigger centers than Theis does. 

timelord and tacko aren't answer either but hoping Timelord can continue to develop his defense where he's not fouling or chasing blocks which put him out of defensive/rebounding position.

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 04:13:52 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
They've both been disappointing overall this season.  Theis seems to be playing his way out of his funk, though.  I think Kemba unlocks his offense in a way that Tatum and Brown haven't learned how to do yet.  Also, we haven't been running him in these two-big lineups as much.  He just doesn't have the perimeter skills to flourish in that setting. 

Thompson is still struggling, though.  I've seen some things that I didn't know about him previously.  Poor hands.  Below-the-rim player.  I didn't remember him being as physically limited as he has appeared for us this season.  Hopefully conditioning is a part of the issue, because that's fixable.  Otherwise I'm not sure he's a season-long part of the rotation, because this version of Thompson doesn't do anything that we can't already get from Robert Williams.