Author Topic: Exercise: rank our players in (assumed) trading value and as most indispensable  (Read 908 times)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Often when we talk about who we want offer in a trade, we naturally want keep the best players and let the lesser players go. Unfortunately there's another side of the trade that won't comply to that approach and therefore a lot of fan proposed trades become unrealistic.

When looking at a potential trade offer for Player X, there are many factors like objective, needs, age, position, playing style etcetera. But a simple tradeoff can be made between trade value and team value. In that way you can quickly look at which players qualify to be traded in your opinion and whom you should desperately hold on to.

So make a ranking of market value and team value for our roster (Brown, Edwards, Green, Langford, Nesmith, Ojeleye, Pritchard, Smart, Tatum, Teague, Theis, Thompson, Walker, G.Williams, R.Willams). Exclude draft picks.

When a player ranks relatively high on the market value, but low on the team value ranking then he's a primary trade candidate (unless you don't want to trade at all) and when a player ranks relatively low in market value, but high on team value he looks to be a keeper.

Instead of a strict ranking, you could make tiers (very high, high, low, very low).

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I’d rank them as follows:

1. Tatum
2. Brown
3. Rob Williams
4. Smart
5. Pritchard
6. Theis
7.  Nesmith
8. Langford
9. TT
10. Kemba (negative value due to his contract and erratic play/injuries)

The order for the remaining doesn’t matter because they all have negative value in my opinion. Semi is probably the best of the group so I guess I’d put him 11.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Need to go

Kemba #1
Theis
grant W.
edwards
semi bad
Waters
Smart ...does he really care anymore?
Teague

try to keep

Tatum
brown
Timelord
Pritchard
Nesmith
Langford
Tacko team mascot good karma
Thompson

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:59:29 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Sorry, but it looks like both of you just made a list of players you find most valuable to the team.

I guess if you find we shouldn't make any big moves under any circumstances that could be a logical result.

My market value ranks:

very high: Tatum, Brown
high: Smart, R.Williams
positive: Pritchard, Nesmith, Theis
neutral: Langford, Ojeleye, G.Williams, Thompson
negative: Walker, Teague, Edwards, Green

My team value ranks (taking into account contracts):

very high: Tatum
high: Brown, R.Williams
positive: Smart, Pritchard, Theis
neutral: Langford, Nesmith, Ojeleye
negative: Teague, Green, Thompson, G.Williams, Edwards, Walker

Trade likelihood rank (dependable on demand, market value, contract and team value):

high: G.Williams, Nesmith, Walker
neutral: Thompson, Smart, Theis, Brown, Edwards
low: Ojeleye, Langford, Teague, Green, Pritchard
very low: R.Williams, Tatum

Smart and Brown are examples of players with much higher team value than for instance Teague and Green, but because they have relatively high market value (I assume) they rank higher on trade likelihood. Teague and Green are both expiring and on a minimum contract, so there's no use for us to look for trades for them and give up small assets in the process and at the same time teams won't be asking for their services. In case we make an offer for a very good player it looks like Smart or Brown could be in play based on their market value vs team value. I thought I would have Theis higher on the trade likelihood list, but because he's clearly on the higher echelon of the Celtics roster I'd be weary if his market value is low (think of just second round picks).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 03:11:30 PM by RodyTur10 »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Sorry, but it looks like both of you just made a list of players you find most valuable to the team.

I guess if you find we shouldn't make any big moves under any circumstances that could be a logical result.

My market value ranks:

very high: Tatum, Brown
high: Smart, R.Williams
positive: Pritchard, Nesmith, Theis
neutral: Langford, Ojeleye, G.Williams, Thompson
negative: Walker, Teague, Edwards, Green

My team value ranks (taking into account contracts):

very high: Tatum
high: Brown, R.Williams
positive: Smart, Pritchard, Theis
neutral: Langford, Nesmith, Ojeleye
negative: Teague, Green, Thompson, G.Williams, Edwards, Walker

Trade likelihood rank (dependable on demand, market value, contract and team value):

high: G.Williams, Nesmith, Walker
neutral: Thompson, Smart, Theis, Brown, Edwards
low: Ojeleye, Langford, Teague, Green, Pritchard
very low: R.Williams, Tatum

Smart and Brown are examples of players with much higher team value than for instance Teague and Green, but because they have relatively high market value (I assume) they rank higher on trade likelihood. Teague and Green are both expiring and on a minimum contract, so there's no use for us to look for trades for them and give up small assets in the process and at the same time teams won't be asking for their services. In case we make an offer for a very good player it looks like Smart or Brown could be in play based on their market value vs team value. I thought I would have Theis higher on the trade likelihood list, but because he's clearly on the higher echelon of the Celtics roster I'd be weary if his market value is low (think of just second round picks).

Good exercise, and I mostly agree. Couple of quibbles - I think Thompson is neutral, because a team that needs a center would probably think “meh, okay, his contract isn’t too bad”, and I don’t think Walker is likely to be traded because his contract is so bad. Two and a half years of max money. Yikes. It cost Philly a first to dump Horford. Maybe we will move him, it’s not impossible, but I wouldn’t put him in the highest tier.

Finally, I *think* they’re unlikely to move Rob, but on the other hand if a genuinely good player becomes available he and/or Smart are the pieces most likely to go.