Author Topic: St. Joe's is Evil  (Read 8259 times)

St. Joe's is Evil
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: St. Joe's is Evil
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If this kid's telling the whole true story, that's pretty messed up on St. Joes part. 

I wouldn't put it past Martelli either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If this kid's telling the whole true story, that's pretty messed up on St. Joes part. 

Yeah, I mean, I don't buy into the "this is an academic decision" spin at all, but the right thing to do would be to let him play.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Yeah, I mean, I don't buy into the "this is an academic decision" spin at all, but the right thing to do would be to let him play.

Ya definitely pure spin with the academic decision stance in my opinion.  When you're trying to play for your 3rd school in 5 years, your plea of "academic reasons" is falling on deaf ears with me.

I don't really know much about Bucknell or St. Joe's or UAB (or the particular academic departments that O'Brien was actually studying in).  But in my uninformed view it goes Bucknell > St. Joe's > UAB.  The direction in the quality of schools he's going definitely doesn't seem like he's making academic decisions. (But I know almost nothing about those schools so my opinion could be totally wrong).

But regardless of all that, no reason St. Joe's shouldn't let him play at UAB.  With the information presented, seems like a low class move by St. Joe's.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Ya definitely pure spin with the academic decision stance in my opinion.  When you're trying to play for your 3rd school in 5 years, your plea of "academic reasons" is falling on deaf ears with me.

I don't really know much about Bucknell or St. Joe's or UAB (or the particular academic departments that O'Brien was actually studying in).  But in my uninformed view it goes Bucknell > St. Joe's > UAB.  The direction in the quality of schools he's going definitely doesn't seem like he's making academic decisions. (But I know almost nothing about those schools so my opinion could be totally wrong).

But regardless of all that, no reason St. Joe's shouldn't let him play at UAB.  With the information presented, seems like a low class move by St. Joe's.
well he admits the first move was for basketball reasons.  If the program he wants to study isn't offered at St. Joe's what is he supposed to do?  Go take some program he doesn't want just so he can stay at the school?  There is a reason the NCAA rule exists, so a kid isn't forced to sit out while he pursues a graduate degree. 

And let's just say the only reason the kid left was basketball reasons, what the heck is St. Joe's getting out of this?  He isn't playing for the team.  He isn't going to go back there.  He was barely a rotation player for St. Joe's so it isn't like he is going to set UAB over the top.  St. Joe's response is nothing but vindictive and sets a terrible example.  No way I'd allow anyone in my family to go play for Martelli given this situation.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Given that schools don't committ to athletes for more than a year I don't really have a problem with him going elsewhere for whatever reason.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Martelli is scum. End of story. Has been from all the stories I have heard about him over the years.

If not for Delonte West and Jameer Nelson, Martelli would be nothing. He owes them his career.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Brutal move by St Joe's. NCAA too.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:02:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
young warm  7 foot body.........heck ..DA sign him up... ;D

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So apparently, this kid was suspended for something like 8 games last year.  Reports on the internet seem inconsistent, from smoking weed to stealing laptops.

The fact that St. Joe's wasted a scholarship on a suspended player last year, and then had O'Brien seek to transfer at the end of the signing period (meaning the school couldn't readily find a replacement) is at least a reason for Martelli's anger.  This kid got a free education, and it doesn't sound like he gave back a heck of a lot to the team, on the floor or off.

Again, I think it's vindictive and petty to not let him play.  At the same time, maybe this guy isn't the choir boy he portrayed himself as.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
So apparently, this kid was suspended for something like 8 games last year.  Reports on the internet seem inconsistent, from smoking weed to stealing laptops.

The fact that St. Joe's wasted a scholarship on a suspended player last year, and then had O'Brien seek to transfer at the end of the signing period (meaning the school couldn't readily find a replacement) is at least a reason for Martelli's anger.  This kid got a free education, and it doesn't sound like he gave back a heck of a lot to the team, on the floor or off.

Again, I think it's vindictive and petty to not let him play.  At the same time, maybe this guy isn't the choir boy he portrayed himself as.
He graduated.  He could have just gone somewhere anyway.  Happens a fair amount of the time actually at the smaller schools.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So apparently, this kid was suspended for something like 8 games last year.  Reports on the internet seem inconsistent, from smoking weed to stealing laptops.

The fact that St. Joe's wasted a scholarship on a suspended player last year, and then had O'Brien seek to transfer at the end of the signing period (meaning the school couldn't readily find a replacement) is at least a reason for Martelli's anger.  This kid got a free education, and it doesn't sound like he gave back a heck of a lot to the team, on the floor or off.

Again, I think it's vindictive and petty to not let him play.  At the same time, maybe this guy isn't the choir boy he portrayed himself as.
He graduated.  He could have just gone somewhere anyway.  Happens a fair amount of the time actually at the smaller schools.

Well, he didn't technically graduate, right?  He was just allowed to march at graduation, but had to make up summer classes (at St. Joseph's expense).

And, the point is, he *couldn't* just leave and play somewhere else.  For whatever reason (we don't know the facts) the NCAA has twice upheld the decision to not let him play, so there's obviously something going on.

Again, I think this is driven by anger, but I don't this this kid's self-serving story is one that we should buy without a little critical thinking.

If this kid really is a thief, if he's really a jerk, and if he really milked the university here (all of which some St. Joe's fans have alleged), then I totally understand Martelli's sentiment, even if I don't agree with it.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, while the whole thing is ugly, I also have the feeling there is much more to the story that is not being portrayed in this article. 

I am sure Martelli is a terrible person, just like many college coaches are these days, but I have to believe Martelli did all this just because he decided to transfer elsewhere after being benched.  I would bet anything there were some ugly run-ins that have been conveniently left out of the story.

Now, that still doesn't give Martelli the right to kick and scream like a 5 year old, but this whole thing just doesn't pass the smell-test to me.

...or maybe I just have a natural inclination to believe anyone who writes an article telling "their story" in the way that he did is full of something.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
There's always a reason when a kid has transferred to 3 schools in five years and its generally never good.  Should St. Joe's just sign the waiver and allow him to play at UAB? Yeah probably, but can I see why they wouldn't...you bet.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith