Author Topic: Trading for Sabonis  (Read 5348 times)

Re: Trading for Sabonis
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
This would never, ever happen, but of course we would do it if we could. Its not even close. And that's recognizing that Fultz has little value other than expiring 12M after next year.

Generally, I believe everything the C's should do should be to compliment Tatum and Brown and improve our defense. Sabonis doesn't improve our defense, but Kemba is the team's weakest link defensively, so that's a wash here.

Sabonis is 24, he's cheaper than Kemba and he's a much more complimentary offensive player. Kemba just isn't a creator. He's just a scorer.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This would never, ever happen, but of course we would do it if we could. Its not even close. And that's recognizing that Fultz has little value other than expiring 12M after next year.

Generally, I believe everything the C's should do should be to compliment Tatum and Brown and improve our defense. Sabonis doesn't improve our defense, but Kemba is the team's weakest link defensively, so that's a wash here.

Sabonis is 24, he's cheaper than Kemba and he's a much more complimentary offensive player. Kemba just isn't a creator. He's just a scorer.

Yeah I don’t think the pacers let sabonis go. But the idea of being able to run the offense with him on the elbow is really interesting. I‘m little tired of seeing so many pistol actions with nothing happening on the weak side, so many late possessions w/o paint touches. Add him and that could be a really dynamic, fun offense.

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 07:38:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Look I like Sabonis a lot but I don't think Indiana is trading him for anything that would look like good value to the Celts.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This probably deserves its own thread, but I am always gunshy about starting them. Anyway, there actually is reported interest in Hayward from the Pacers, but I doubt Sabonis is an option.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-pacers-interested-celtics-gordon-hayward-trade-target

On Thursday, SNY's Ian Begley reported that some members of the Pacers "continue to have interest" in trading for Hayward.
Indy likely would need to trade multiple players to the Celtics to offset Hayward's $34 million cap hit. But it appears the Pacers are at least open to the idea of adding Hayward, which adds another intriguing wrinkle to the Celtics' offseason.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 08:33:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
This probably deserves its own thread, but I am always gunshy about starting them. Anyway, there actually is reported interest in Hayward from the Pacers, but I doubt Sabonis is an option.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-pacers-interested-celtics-gordon-hayward-trade-target

On Thursday, SNY's Ian Begley reported that some members of the Pacers "continue to have interest" in trading for Hayward.
Indy likely would need to trade multiple players to the Celtics to offset Hayward's $34 million cap hit. But it appears the Pacers are at least open to the idea of adding Hayward, which adds another intriguing wrinkle to the Celtics' offseason.

Sabonis probably is a pipe dream, but I would LOVE to have him on the Celtics.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 08:52:31 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

It is new to see the Pacers may have interest in Hayward beyond the speculation. With this report and the Hayward's buying a house in Indiana its starting to feel like its got real legs.

Preserves our goodwill in the league to trade him to a great spot. Easy to envision a fair return.

The question now is who do we get in the deal? Turner? Sabonis? Oladipo? Player from 3rd team?

Exciting times.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 12:32:48 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

It is new to see the Pacers may have interest in Hayward beyond the speculation. With this report and the Hayward's buying a house in Indiana its starting to feel like its got real legs.

Preserves our goodwill in the league to trade him to a great spot. Easy to envision a fair return.

The question now is who do we get in the deal? Turner? Sabonis? Oladipo? Player from 3rd team?

Exciting times.

We need at least a big, and Oladipo for our return package.

Hearing theories about Boston forming a superteam with Oladipo, Turner, Walker, Tatum, and Brown though who knows lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 01:01:27 AM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
i don't watch much Indiana,  and since his name is constantly discussed,  is myles turner any good?  opinions here seem so varied.

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 01:22:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
i don't watch much Indiana,  and since his name is constantly discussed,  is myles turner any good?  opinions here seem so varied.
He's okay. Great rim protection, decent defence otherwise. But that's basically it. He's a really inconsistent shooter and a terrible rebounder
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 05:04:30 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Exciting times.

We need at least a big, and Oladipo for our return package.

Hearing theories about Boston forming a superteam with Oladipo, Turner, Walker, Tatum, and Brown though who knows lol
Unless we're really confident that Turner is going to explode in terms of defence, passing and shooting next season, Sabonis is the only guy I want from Indiana in return for Hayward.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 08:28:32 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
He's okay. Great rim protection, decent defence otherwise. But that's basically it. He's a really inconsistent shooter and a terrible rebounder

As a rim protector, Turner is much better against bigs that aren’t physical. Embiid destroys him. Theis, with less physical talent, is a lot more hard-nosed. Theis competes hard; Turner not so much.

Don’t know if Turner can do the other things the Cs have Theis do on offense - the screens and short-roll passes.

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 08:32:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

As a rim protector, Turner is much better against bigs that aren’t physical. Embiid destroys him. Theis, with less physical talent, is a lot more hard-nosed. Theis competes hard; Turner not so much.

Don’t know if Turner can do the other things the Cs have Theis do on offense - the screens and short-roll passes.
In full agreement with you. Even less talented physical bigs like Drummond own Turner.

I am not a fan of what Turner does on offence. His offensive game seems to be the opposite of what Brad likes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

In full agreement with you. Even less talented physical bigs like Drummond own Turner.

I am not a fan of what Turner does on offence. His offensive game seems to be the opposite of what Brad likes

Agree with everything said, but I would point out that he's 24 years old. He has some potential and can still become more than he's shown so far.

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

So here’s my question with Turner though: how much of that has been having to play next to Sabonis? I guess I’m trying to translate his game to the Cs. Stevens seems to put most of his players in the best situation to succeed. I don’t love Turner but he is a big man that at the very least can stretch the floor and defend the rim, both a better rates than Theis. He is also 24 so could be something there to unlock as well.

In all these rumors, it’s the Oladipo ones I just don’t get. Don’t see how he fits or why the Cs would be interested in a rental. I’d be more keen to grab a McDermott/Lamb/Warren off their hands for some bench shooting/scoring.

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Serious question for those who aren't a fan of Turner. Would you do a trade of Hayward for a young Brook Lopez at current production and Doug McDermott?

Because Myles Turner is every bit the rim protector that Lopez is, with more defensive versatility on the perimeter. He's also a better three point shooter.

Just for explanation sake, people expected Lopez to be a 2 for the rest of his career a few years ago, and he wound up a 6 this year. Many expected Turner to be a 8-9 by this point, but he's been a 6. Both players are at a 6, but our perception of them is different because one has exceeded expectation and the other has fallen short.