Author Topic: 11.9% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today  (Read 79938 times)

Re: 15.6% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2014, 03:26:11 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I see one problem with the Hakeem / Embiid comparisons.  Hakeem had outstanding BBIQ - Embiid seems to have the BBIQ of DeAndre Jordan.

Also don't agree about Parker having the physical tools to be a  good NBA defender.  Everything I've seen on Parker suggest that his lack of lateral quickness is biggest thing  holdinghim back from being an above average defender.

I'd like a two way player myself - Wiggins, Smart or Exum.  Maybe Randle.  I wouldn't complain if we got Embiid, but he sounds to me like a big risk at such a high pick.  To me he looks like the most likely to disappoint out of the top prospect...I fear the possibility of him becoming the next JaVale McGee (just with better offensive upside). 

He'll contribute no matter what, especially on defense and boards, but his story just sounds way to muchlike a rich man's Fab Melo story to me, kinda scares me of a bit.

If be ok with taking the gamble, but this is a great with a lot of talent, and there are a good 4-5 guys who are highly likely to be future all-stars.   Parker looks like a future Carmello, Smart looks like a slightly less athletic D Wade, Exum looks like the next Penny Hardaway, Wiggins could be the next Paul George, Randle could be thenext Antonio McDyess (he was a beast before he got injured).

Then you have Embiid, who there's much uncertainty about.  He could become the next Mutombo or the next David Robinson ... or he could become Handle McGee or Michael Olowokandi or Samuel Dalembert.   I think he's probably thebiggest gamble in the top 6, followed by Wiggins (who could, as others have said, be another Jeff Green).

« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I still feel like most contending teams these days have elite small forwards. Green definitely isnt the answer, so I feel we should go for Wiggins/Parker.

I know they say always go for the big, but that hasnt always worked out for teams...its a guards league right now.

« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I see one problem with the Hakeem / Embiid comparisons.  Hakeem had outstanding BBIQ - Embiid seems to have the BBIQ of DeAndre Jordan.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Hakeem/Embiid comparisons, but look at them side by side in their freshmen years:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joel-embiid-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/hakeem-olajuwon-1.html

Embiid: 11.4 pts, 7.6 reb, 2.7 blks, 65.9% shooting
Hakeem: 8.3 pts, 6.2 reb, 2.5 blks, 60.7% shooting

Their per36 numbers are extremely similar as well.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2014, 10:04:33 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I'm not the biggest fan of the Hakeem/Embiid comparisons, but look at them side by side in their freshmen years:

Embiid is also a very good passer out of the post when being double teamed, a lot like Sully.

« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Hakeem grew up playing soccer and was pretty new to the game of basketball that year.

« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One of the best things Bill Simmons ever wrote about basketball was the absolutely insane likelihood of a player being the next Hakeem.

But if Embiid is even 75% of The Dream, I'm going to be a very happy basketball fan, regardless of which team he ends up on (unless it's the Lakers).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Hakeem grew up playing soccer and was pretty new to the game of basketball that year.
So is Embiid isn't he? I thought he started playing basketball competitively 3 years ago or something like that.

I don't think he's the next Hakeem of course but I thought a late start to basketball was part of the comparison.

« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

So is Embiid isn't he? I thought he started playing basketball competitively 3 years ago or something like that.

I don't think he's the next Hakeem of course but I thought a late start to basketball was part of the comparison.

Yeah. Embiid didn't start playing organized basketball until a few years ago.

I don't want to compare anybody to The Dream, but I will say Embiid is #1 on my board.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Also don't agree about Parker having the physical tools to be a  good NBA defender.  Everything I've seen on Parker suggest that his lack of lateral quickness is biggest thing  holdinghim back from being an above average defender.

I'd like a two way player myself - Wiggins, Smart or Exum.  Maybe Randle.  I wouldn't complain if we got Embiid, but he sounds to me like a big risk at such a high pick.  To me he looks like the most likely to disappoint out of the top prospect...I fear the possibility of him becoming the next JaVale McGee (just with better offensive upside). 

He'll contribute no matter what, especially on defense and boards, but his story just sounds way to muchlike a rich man's Fab Melo story to me, kinda scares me of a bit.

If be ok with taking the gamble, but this is a great with a lot of talent, and there are a good 4-5 guys who are highly likely to be future all-stars.   Parker looks like a future Carmello, Smart looks like a slightly less athletic D Wade, Exum looks like the next Penny Hardaway, Wiggins could be the next Paul George, Randle could be thenext Antonio McDyess (he was a beast before he got injured).

Then you have Embiid, who there's much uncertainty about.  He could become the next Mutombo or the next David Robinson ... or he could become Handle McGee or Michael Olowokandi or Samuel Dalembert.   I think he's probably thebiggest gamble in the top 6, followed by Wiggins (who could, as others have said, be another Jeff Green).

your serious right?

You can't have Jordans Iq and be able to pass like Embiid does at times

When you see him be indecisive at times , its bc he is still raw.

If Embiid stays another year in college, he would dominate.

Definitely the #1 ranked prospect right now. Only way that changes is, if someone else like wiggins or smart single handedly takes their team to at least the final four

« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Don't flame me too bad here..... ;D

But ,  I think Parker is a bit of Pierce about him.   

He can kill you from anywhere on the court with his offense ......and he is going to become a more efficient shooter and better handler in a few year.

« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
One of the best things Bill Simmons ever wrote about basketball was the absolutely insane likelihood of a player being the next Hakeem.

But if Embiid is even 75% of The Dream, I'm going to be a very happy basketball fan, regardless of which team he ends up on (unless it's the Lakers).

The problems with comparisons like that is they're always taken as a comparison of overall greatness, instead of having similar characteristics.  Like when Tommy said Stiemsma had good timing on his shotblocking like Bill Russell - he was referring to one very small trait but everyone immediately assumed he was saying Stiemsma was as good as Russell. 

Embiid's skillset and game (and biography) is pretty similar to a young Hakeem.  That's good enough for an 19 year old, whether he'll ever approach Olajuwon's greatness or not.

« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He can kill you from anywhere on the court with his offense ......and he is going to become a more efficient shooter and better handler in a few year.

Pierce was a good consistent defender and at times a clutch performer . I havent seen show either of these traits yet

« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING

Pierce was a good consistent defender and at times a clutch performer . I havent seen show either of these traits yet
Pierce was an average defender at best before KG got here.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

On the offensive end, I definitely see similiarities.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Pierce was an average defender at best before KG got here.
Pierce was a very good to great defensive player as a youngster. He got lazy and bad habits as he became a "star" and focused on scoring. Doc got him playing D eventually and then KG and Thibs put in a system that he thrived in.