Author Topic: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child  (Read 22434 times)

Re: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think its more of a pettiness towards the amount of money he makes and the perceived "underachieving" that he's done as a Celtic more than anything else.

Geez, you guys just can't give it up, can you? Bait much (had to use the word 'pettiness')? You should know better as a mod. And, Yes Yes Yes, the amount of money he makes is absolutely the major factor. I have no problem with 99.9% of the people in this world dropping whatever they're doing and leaving under these circumstances. The underachieving part is more the cherry on top, but I already described in detail how that wasn't his fault in the least.

Please, just knock it off. I literally keep trying to tell you guys that we are at an impasse and you keep twisting the knife a little more. I get it, all of you are perfect dads who wouldn't miss the birth of their 4th child for anything. Please move on and let's discuss how great it is that Hayward won't have to miss much time.

Since we're judging players' personal life priorities, how do we feel about Montrzell Harrell being absent for 2+ weeks for the death of his grandmother?

Nope - not even close to the same thing. Not the playoffs and not anywhere near the same amount of money. Dude will be back when it matters, and if he's not, we can talk about it then.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:34:17 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2020, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think its more of a pettiness towards the amount of money he makes and the perceived "underachieving" that he's done as a Celtic more than anything else.

Geez, you guys just can't give it up, can you? Bait much (had to use the word 'pettiness')? You should know better as a mod. And, Yes Yes Yes, the amount of money he makes is absolutely the major factor. I have no problem with 99.9% of the people in this world dropping whatever they're doing and leaving under these circumstances. The underachieving part is more the cherry on top, but I already described in detail how that wasn't his fault in the least.

Please, just knock it off. I literally keep trying to tell you guys that we are at an impasse and you keep twisting the knife a little more. I get it, all of you are perfect dads who wouldn't miss the birth of their 4th child for anything. Please move on and let's discuss how great it is that Hayward won't have to miss much time.

Since we're judging players' personal life priorities, how do we feel about Montrzell Harrell being absent for 2+ weeks for the death of his grandmother?

Nope - not even close to the same thing. Not the playoffs and not anywhere near the same amount of money. Dude will be back when it matters, and if he's not, we can talk about it then.

Not baiting.  Just offering my perspective on things.   Plenty of posters have been going after Hayward for the better part of 2 plus seasons now. Some of the criticisms are justified.  And some of the stuff reeks of pettiness.  Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I can't offer opinion even if it may sting to some.

Its a messageboard.  Many opinions will be met with pushback.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2020, 03:08:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

But since the amount these players earn has been brought up as a reason why their absence is less excusable, couldn't it be argued that since they earning more money for regular season per game, those games are less excusable for them to miss? 

(I haven't seen whether you offered the $$$ as a line of argument or not)
Yup

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2020, 04:20:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
But since the amount these players earn has been brought up as a reason why their absence is less excusable, couldn't it be argued that since they earning more money for regular season per game, those games are less excusable for them to miss? 

(I haven't seen whether you offered the $$$ as a line of argument or not)

I am probably the leader of the $$$ argument. I don't think you are being serious with your question, but I'll answer anyway. Players are often paid the contracts they are because the organization has Title hopes...or at least surprise playoff hopes. Gordon Hayward (or Kemba or Kyrie or whoever) wasn't brought here to have a solid regular season; he was brought here to compete for a Title (and he said as much when he signed...the whole 'unfinished business' thing). That's why it was so disastrous when Kyrie (and Hayward) was out for the 2018 playoffs. Our ceiling as a team was lowered drastically.

If the playoffs weren't important, we wouldn't be seeing the re-start of the NBA season. It's been going well and hopefully will remain that way, but even it's most avid supporters can see that there was some desperation behind it. It was that important to the NBA to have the playoffs and crown a champion and stars are paid what they are to make that happen.

Note that I am isolating this to only your post. I am not looking to go down the rabbit-hole of Hayward/family priorities/contract comparison amounts, etc - just explaining why I (and probably everybody else in the world) believe the playoffs are more important than the regular season.

« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2020, 06:33:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t think he wants to be there solely to witness his child being born.  That’s part of child birth, but the other part is being with your partner during the process.  Labor can be difficult and frightening.  We had an emergency induction for our daughter, and my wife lost a lot of blood with my son.  Both had jaundice, which, while not a long-term issue, led to both babies sleeping under “bili lights” for the first few nights of their life.

My wife needed me.  With my daughter, I had a ton of court stuff that week.  I cancelled all of it for a bit over a week and slept in a recliner in the hospital.  Yes, people were inconvenienced, and since I’m self-employed, I lost some money.  Who cares?  I can’t imagine if my wife had been 1000 miles away, with the baby having complications without me there because I chose my job over family.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2020, 07:17:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t think he wants to be there solely to witness his child being born.  That’s part of child birth, but the other part is being with your partner during the process.  Labor can be difficult and frightening.  We had an emergency induction for our daughter, and my wife lost a lot of blood with my son.  Both had jaundice, which, while not a long-term issue, led to both babies sleeping under “bili lights” for the first few nights of their life.

My wife needed me.  With my daughter, I had a ton of court stuff that week.  I cancelled all of it for a bit over a week and slept in a recliner in the hospital.  Yes, people were inconvenienced, and since I’m self-employed, I lost some money.  Who cares?  I can’t imagine if my wife had been 1000 miles away, with the baby having complications without me there because I chose my job over family.
Nailed it. Childbirth isn’t just popping out a kid. It’s called labour for a reason - it’s crazily intense. I can only imagine that intensity heightened in the midst of the worst health crisis in a century
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2020, 08:49:13 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Nailed it. Childbirth isn’t just popping out a kid. It’s called labour for a reason - it’s crazily intense. I can only imagine that intensity heightened in the midst of the worst health crisis in a century

Hey, they made a choice.  Now it's time to live with the consequences. 

« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

I'd imagine he's living with the consequences just fine. Many here seem to be the ones having a problem dealing with it. Which I should point out is entirely their problem alone.

« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What are you even talking about? Not sure what response you’re trying to bait this time
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

What are you even talking about? Not sure what response you’re trying to bait this time
Family before work, He made the right call.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:30:59 PM by gouki88 »
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Well put, Roy.  Thank you for sharing that.

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2020, 02:19:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Just stumbled on this similar situation from 2017.

Coach Sarunas Jasikevicius (remember him?) answering about his player Augusto Lima leaving the team during the best-of-7 semi finals (for the EuroLeague championship? Lithuanian Basketball League championship?) to be present for the birth of his daughter.

Of course this ain't the NBA, there's no Covid, Lima was only averaging 4.6ppg and 3.7 rpg, and doubt his salary compares.  But besides that, same thing.

Here's the response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0a-Nr_vRjM

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Family before work, He made the right call.

Sure, but now he has to deal with the consequences of... some people on the internet getting upset?

We'll have to see how (or even if) he recovers from such a devastating blow
I'm bitter.

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2020, 11:52:17 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Mike Conley left the bubble for the birth of his child.  We will get a chance to see how the process for re-entry works.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29674431/mike-conley-leaves-jazz-attend-son-birth

« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2020, 11:57:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

According to ESPN story, there is a minimum 4 day quarantining period for anyone returning to the bubble who has tested negative each day they are out.  If this is so, I would imagine Gordon will miss a minimum of a week, which would mean anywhere from 3 to 4 games.  That will really stretch us.
Presumably means increase in minutes for Semi, Romeo, Brad and G Williams.  Also coming back after missing a full week of action will be very challenging for Gordon.