Author Topic: Celtics Draft Workouts Thread 2019  (Read 12900 times)

Re: Celtics Draft Workouts Thread 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 09:57:20 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/05/16/celtics-player-interviews-nba-draft/G5ibpexO5ZXZ05IvRCfKQJ/story.html

According to a league source, the Celtics interviewed 14 draft prospects over the first two days of the NBA combine and have four more scheduled for Friday morning. The group is highlighted by Texas Tech guard Jarrett Culver, who is ESPN’s sixth-ranked prospect in this draft class, and Duke forward Cam Reddish, who is seventh.

The Celtics have also interviewed Texas center Jaxson Hayes (ESPN No. 9), North Carolina guard Coby White (No. 10), Indiana guard Romeo Langford (No. 11), Oregon center Bol Bol (No. 13), Kentucky forward P.J. Washington Jr. (No. 15), and North Carolina forward Nassir White (No. 16). The Celtics are scheduled to interview Gonzaga forward Brandon Clarke (No. 12) on Friday.

The other projected first-round picks on Boston’s interview list include Tennessee’s Grant Williams, Kentucky’s Tyler Herro, Iowa State’s Talen Horton-Tucker, Purdue’s Carsen Edwards, and Stanford’s KZ Okpala.

The group is rounded out by Admiral Schofield (Tennessee), Devon Dotson (Kansas), Jontay Porter (Missouri), and Mfiondu Kabengele (Florida State).

So they literally interviewed everyone that I wanted.

Great!

Porter/Little makes me super excited if they fall down in the draft pretty hard.

I really like Matisse Thybulle.

I hope they decide to give him a workout, thanks for the hard work CFAN38.

TP.

Of all draft prospects listed on hoopshype, who do you like the most CFAN38?

Out of that list Cam Johnson is the most likely to make it in the NBA and could contribute to winning basketball as soon as next year. He has positional size and can really shoot. The fact that he is a big wing who can shoot really helps his value given that he fills a role that every team needs. His age likely limits his ceiling to that of a solid 3-D role player.

Nowell probably has the heighest ceiling and Pinds I’m confident will find his way as a back up point guard.

Agreed CJ seems like a solid choice. I think he needs a tighter handle/ability to create, or focus more on his defense, but I think he will certainly be in the NBA for a long time.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/05/16/celtics-player-interviews-nba-draft/G5ibpexO5ZXZ05IvRCfKQJ/story.html

According to a league source, the Celtics interviewed 14 draft prospects over the first two days of the NBA combine and have four more scheduled for Friday morning. The group is highlighted by Texas Tech guard Jarrett Culver, who is ESPN’s sixth-ranked prospect in this draft class, and Duke forward Cam Reddish, who is seventh.

The Celtics have also interviewed Texas center Jaxson Hayes (ESPN No. 9), North Carolina guard Coby White (No. 10), Indiana guard Romeo Langford (No. 11), Oregon center Bol Bol (No. 13), Kentucky forward P.J. Washington Jr. (No. 15), and North Carolina forward Nassir White (No. 16). The Celtics are scheduled to interview Gonzaga forward Brandon Clarke (No. 12) on Friday.

The other projected first-round picks on Boston’s interview list include Tennessee’s Grant Williams, Kentucky’s Tyler Herro, Iowa State’s Talen Horton-Tucker, Purdue’s Carsen Edwards, and Stanford’s KZ Okpala.

The group is rounded out by Admiral Schofield (Tennessee), Devon Dotson (Kansas), Jontay Porter (Missouri), and Mfiondu Kabengele (Florida State).

So they literally interviewed everyone that I wanted.

Great!

Porter/Little makes me super excited if they fall down in the draft pretty hard.

I really like Matisse Thybulle.

I hope they decide to give him a workout, thanks for the hard work CFAN38.

TP.

Of all draft prospects listed on hoopshype, who do you like the most CFAN38?

Out of that list Cam Johnson is the most likely to make it in the NBA and could contribute to winning basketball as soon as next year. He has positional size and can really shoot. The fact that he is a big wing who can shoot really helps his value given that he fills a role that every team needs. His age likely limits his ceiling to that of a solid 3-D role player.

Nowell probably has the heighest ceiling and Pinds I’m confident will find his way as a back up point guard.

Agreed CJ seems like a solid choice. I think he needs a tighter handle/ability to create, or focus more on his defense, but I think he will certainly be in the NBA for a long time.

If we keep the 14th pick, and lose Smart and Tatum in a Davis Deal....Little seems like the perfect pick to play the backup SF role.

Long
Defensive
Lots of potential.

Ideally he could be a potential Hayward replacement to maintain defense in the starting lineup with Brown.

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Pass on Jontay Porter Jr, his family is a walking injury list.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Carsen Edwards with the 22 pick. He’s a perfect blend of IT and Marcus Smart.

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pass on Jontay Porter Jr, his family is a walking injury list.
Yeah, literally all his siblings including himself have horrible injury histories. Pass
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If all our 1st round picks go to NO, I'd be overjoyed to get Isaiah Roby with the 51st pick!

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Mfiondu Kabengele is the play - the 6'10" 250lb nephew of Dikembe Mutombo

FSU plays a deep rotation - they emphasize 100% effort on defense when you're out on the floor. Kabengele was the 6th man but not because of talent but because he was a selfless player and could keep the talent level high in the second squad. 

His stats for 22 mins per game:

13.2 pts, 1.5 bpg, 5.9 rpg

50.2 fg%, 36.9 3p%, 76.1 ft%

28.9 PER, 120.5 ORtg, 92.9 DRtg

He's the ACC 6th Man and played Zion very well.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:37:41 AM by Raul C »

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
what about Tacko Fall? doubt he be a starter but take a chance on him in 2nd round
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Kentucky G Tyler Herro to work out for Boston
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 12:01:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Herro spoke with Boston brass at the combine and said they will be among the handful of teams he will workout for leading up to the draft, per A. Sherrod Blakely of NBC Sports Boston.

https://twitter.com/ASherrodblakely/status/1129473637633921024

highlights https://youtu.be/CjeKpJGayDc

Birthday: 1/20/00
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
Ht: 6-6

93.5% from free throw freshman year, Offensive minded shooting guard with “spurtability” and a willingness to hunt for his shot ... Excels at setting up defenders when running off multiple screens ... Has developed a step back jump shot that allows him to create his own space to get a look within the offense ... Is underrated in terms of his ability to get to the rim in the half court ... Is extremely reliable at the free throw line, shot 93.5% from the free throw line as a freshman ... Has shown major growth on the defensive end, especially in regard to staying in guarding position, understanding help side responsibilities/positioning, and playing angles ... Is adept at playing passing lanes and is aggressive in looking to capitalize on opponent's mistakes on that end of the court ... Is a competitor that doesn’t let his motor go cold, is always looking to make plays happen ... Runs the court looking for easy buckets in transition ... Is very good at pull up jumpers in transition ... Despite shooting under 36% from three, his form should allow him to increase that percentage even from the further NBA three point line. Rebounds well for a guard (4.5 per game, season high 13 against Tennessee) ... Sneaky athlete, with better leaping ability than some realize ...

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:10:59 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Kentucky G Tyler Herro to work out for Boston
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 12:36:42 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
That is a beautiful stroke this kid has. We could really use a shooter like this.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:49:12 AM by liam »

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 12:56:57 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Weaknesses: Lacks length. Doesn’t have the ideal NBA body, measuring 6’5” with 6’4.5” wingspan and had 12.4% body fat at UK’s pro day ... Struggles with his footwork when receiving the ball off of screens, often does not have them squared up and thus preventing him from getting quickly into a shooting motion ... Absolutely not a ball handler ... Can be a streaky shooter that goes cold for stretches of the game ... Not very explosive off the dribble lacking a great first step ... Lacks ideal lateral quickness, leading to him struggling with smaller, quicker players when playing defense ... When not scoring, he can have games in which he gives you little else ... Not a great passer, and he can get tunnel vision when driving to the rim ... Sometimes struggles making entry passes to the post, resulting in turnovers ... Has a loose handle and is susceptible to getting stripped when driving to the rim ... Limited athleticism could be a hindrance at the next level, and will have to rely more on angles to set himself up at the NBA level ...

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 01:01:30 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Weaknesses: Lacks length. Doesn’t have the ideal NBA body, measuring 6’5” with 6’4.5” wingspan and had 12.4% body fat at UK’s pro day ... Struggles with his footwork when receiving the ball off of screens, often does not have them squared up and thus preventing him from getting quickly into a shooting motion ... Absolutely not a ball handler ... Can be a streaky shooter that goes cold for stretches of the game ... Not very explosive off the dribble lacking a great first step ... Lacks ideal lateral quickness, leading to him struggling with smaller, quicker players when playing defense ... When not scoring, he can have games in which he gives you little else ... Not a great passer, and he can get tunnel vision when driving to the rim ... Sometimes struggles making entry passes to the post, resulting in turnovers ... Has a loose handle and is susceptible to getting stripped when driving to the rim ... Limited athleticism could be a hindrance at the next level, and will have to rely more on angles to set himself up at the NBA level ...

This is all very true but if he developed into an elite shooter (he's not that now, except from the free throw line) he would be a good pick in the 20s.

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 01:10:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
So a pure SG who lacks athleticism, can't really defend at a high level, can't take up any ballhandling duties, has a less than ideal body for his only position, and can't even consistently do the only thing he's supposed to be good at (shooting)? No thanks, I'd rather take a raw wing who has good measurables and has potential to be converted into a guard (eg. Horton-Tucker). There are only four types of dudes who we should be thinking about drafting: traditional big men who can guard the perimeter and make FTs, forwards who have legitimate PF size, big guards with good measurables and the aforementioned type. We can pick up small guards/tweener wings, forwards and big men with vet mins.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 06:21:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He was a nice college player but his body measurements are concerning.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 06:27:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
That is a beautiful stroke this kid has. We could really use a shooter like this.

I used to think RJ Hunter had one of the nicest strokes going around. Was super amped when we snagged him...  ::)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.