Author Topic: Woj: The Dallas Mavericks are escalating talks to trade guard Dennis Smith Jr.  (Read 3150 times)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Mavericks ramp up efforts to deal PG Dennis Smith Jr., sources say

The Dallas Mavericks are escalating talks to trade guard Dennis Smith Jr., pushing to end a partnership that has run its course for both the franchise and former first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Two teams in pursuit of a point guard -- Phoenix and Orlando -- have been active in talks with the Mavericks, league sources said.

Dallas has also searched for deals that would include veteran Wes Matthews, who is making $18.6 million in the final year of his contract, league sources said.

Dallas has sat Smith for three straight games with what the franchise has termed a sore back, but there's motivation with the organization and Smith to find a new home for him, league sources said. Smith was the No. 9 overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft.

Coach Rick Carlisle and Smith have struggled to find a common ground, league sources said. The arrival of rookie of the year favorite Luka Doncic has pushed Smith off the ball and changed the trajectory of his role with the team. Carlisle has often been frustrated with Smith's decision-making, league sources said.

While Doncic and Smith have built a good personal relationship, the results haven't been good with them playing together on the floor. Doncic and Smith average only 100.9 points per 100 possessions in 687 minutes this season. Doncic and rookie guard Jalen Brunson average 106.9 in 328 minutes -- while Doncic and J.J. Barea were 112.6 in 232 minutes.

Smith averaged 15 points and five assists in his rookie season a year ago.

ESPN

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He really doesn’t fit with Doncic at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Quick, let's trade Kyrie for him! After all, Kyrie is a "cancer" amirite  ::)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Does Dennis Smith Jr. hold more trade value than Rozier?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Carlisle has become one of the worst coaches in the nba

Smith Jr. deserves better

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I would say considerably more. In addition to having two years on his rookie deal after this one vs Rozier being a restricted FA he is also 3 years young (off the top of my head). He has shot  just as well as Rozier from 3 this year on the same volume while being a considerably better 2pnt shooter. He actually occasionally gets t the rim, with 35% of his shots within 3 feet vs like 15% (less I think) from Rozier. His FT rate, assist%, steel% and usage are all higher while having a 53.4% true shooting percentage. That's not great, around averagish, but better than Rozier at 49.1% and better than his career best last year at 52%. So ya, DSJ probably has significantly more value.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Carlisle is elite coach, Smith is expendable.
Simple as that.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

I strongly disaagree, Smith Jr is simply not a quality player, just a kid with potential and elite athleticism. If he is not coachable and has drifts with his coach in year 2 (probably in year 1 as well), than that is more than enough for me.
Mavs are in for a bright future with Luka there, and if they could scrap for a nice PF, they could make some noise in the playoffs this year
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not at all the case.

Not comparable valuables at all tbh
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I can't believe that no-one suggested the Kyrie-Smith jr. trade yet. I guess it's the time zone difference.

EDIT: Oh, 3rd post. My bad.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:21:48 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
This is the Mavs wanting to build around Doncic.  Should be easy pickings for the Magic or Suns depending on how desperate the Mavs are to move Smith.  They will lose value if they sell him separately, so they are likely trying to get a star in return to pair to Doncic.  Not sure who they are targetting, but this is probably the time to do it, so they don't lose any more value in Smith.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well this explains the multiple trade proposals on this site where people are trying to acquire Smith in some capacity.

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Does Smith for Brown make sense?
We may need a back  up PG next year. but i will admit I haven't seen Smith other than highlights.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Does Smith for Brown make sense?
We may need a back  up PG next year. but i will admit I haven't seen Smith other than highlights.

Dallas would do that in a second but that's not a good trade for the Celtics....

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Our team has enough shooters.  As alternative to the above three way with Dallas, Phoenix and Boston, I'd prefer:

Rozier and Bridges to Dallas. 
Dennis Smith Jr. to Phoenix
DeAnthony Melton to Boston