Author Topic: Solomon Alabi  (Read 5974 times)

Solomon Alabi
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:12:14 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
nba writer alex kennedy, is reporting that the celtics are high on florida state center Solomon Alabi, he claims that Alabi got the highest score ever on the celtics predraft IQ test (for what ever thats worth)

This would be an interested pick, I dont like it because I think the C's will be able to get a better value at 19 then the higher bust risk Alabi. However the celtics have had good luck in the past years developing bigs (perk,Al,baby,powe) and alabi has the physical tools(7'1 240 7'5 wing span) to be a good nba player. He will also bring this team the length that the playoffs have shown them to be lacking. Seems to me like a bigger but less athletic samuel dalembert.

Hopefully if the celtics draft alabi they can do so while trading down and potentially getting an additional second round pick.

maybe T-wolves #23+#56(or #45)  
       Blazer  #22+#44

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:34:13 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Solomon Alabi
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
However the celtics have had good luck in the past years developing bigs (perk,Al,baby,posey) and alabi has the physical tools(7'1 240 7'5 wing span) to be a good nba player.
I'm assuming you mean Powe. (Emphasis mine.) Good post, interesting theory. (UPDATE - now fixed in OP.)

Any idea how athletic he is?

Here's what Chad Ford says (insider) in his Mock 4.0 (he has C's picking Alabi too):
Alabi may seem like a bit of a reach to some, but I was impressed with the feedback I received from NBA scouts and GMs after the combine. Not only did he measure as the biggest player in the draft, but he showed a nice skills game and a terrific motor in the drills.

Some scouts are comparing him to Dikembe Mutombo. I don't think Alabi has the same sort of rebounding and shot-blocking ability, but he does have a similar demeanor and presence on the court.

Hollinger says (insider) he should go undrafted (rates him 68th on pro potential):
Nonetheless, history says scouts might be coloring in a few too many lines when they're projecting the future for Cole Aldrich, Ekpe Udoh, Hassan Whiteside and Ed Davis. It's possible that all four could go in the lottery, but the Draft Rater says their teams will regret it (see chart below). Three other possible first-round big men, Patrick Patterson, Craig Brackins and Solomon Alabi, don't engender warm feelings from Draft Rater, either.

Hollinger's is pretty good at avoiding busts and finding sleepers, so this concerns me. If he lacks athleticism and rebounding - he's probably a couple year project (like a Perk replacement) rather than a part of next year's team. I'd guess DA tries to get him in the 2nd or by buying a pick, if this is not misdirection.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:12:57 AM by Brendan »

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I love Alabi. A great shot blocking force to pair with the bulk of Perkins in the future. These project bigs are very risky but if the Celts think he is willing to work we still have the best big guy coach in the league.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
thanks,

I made the powe change

Looking into Alabi's measurable athletic stats are kind of scary he did not test well and compares to Aaron Gray. However watching the highlights of him he appears to move much better then the measurements would indicate.

He definitely will be a guy who rides the pine next season but possibly could develop into perks back up the following year when Sheed is gone. (Not loving the idea of drafting a project center when perk is still so young)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:14:12 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
This is the one year out of 20 when there's enough promising bigs that a decent one might drop to #19.  Just like last year was the year to pick a PG if you needed one (Maynor drafted #20, Collison #21--Are you kidding me?), this is the year to draft a C or PF/C.

Alabi isn't lasting much beyond #19, so the trade-down idea won't work.

Hollinger is waaaay off base.

All that having been said, I'm fine with whatever Danny does; can't wait to see!
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
Well I think chances of Perk getting moved are fairly high. If they want to make another run, he's probably the most moveable guy for talent, and their lack of a low post player, plus decline of Pierce's and KG's post games, plus the decline of Pierce's and Ray's ability to penetrate means they are not getting enough efficiency in the half court set.

So if they could get a low court PF/C to come off the bench, they could run Rasheed out there with the starting line up and probably not lose too much.

Hollinger may be way off base, but I think he's probably right this guy won't be an elite scorer. Can he play Perkins like D? That's what its going to take for him to be a real contributor. And if he doesn't have ELITE upside, would it make more sense to draft a wing (Ford has Damion Jones - who Hollinger has rated as 13th best - a 6'8" SF who may be ready now to play defensive wing off the bench and might compliment the team better anyways, with same upside.)

Ideally DA can draft a SF with size that can play D and a big man prospect in the Perkins mold (i.e. one that can be valuable in a few years and cheap in the meantime.)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:30:39 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
By the way the big difference between Perk and Alabi is Alabi is 22 and a college player with several years experience... with his size and age, he should be dominating college play...

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
From the video highlights, he was really impressive. If he's available at #19 then I am all for picking him up.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:45:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd rather have Xavier Henry or James Andersen.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Color me unimpressed with Alabi. Saw him play BC over the last couple of years and never once did he dominate a much smaller BC on the boards or did I ever get the impression he had NBA stuff.

I see big mistake here. Stay away.

If they want a big I think the best value might be in Dexter Pittman or Craig Brackins in the top part of the 2nd round.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Jerome Jordan 7'1 244 23 years old

Dexter Pitman 6'11 300 22 years old

Looking at there ages (alabi is 22), sizes and college production both of these guys maybe be as good of prospects as Alabi. That is why if the celtics are interested in Alabi, I hope they trade down.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Color me unimpressed with Alabi. Saw him play BC over the last couple of years and never once did he dominate a much smaller BC on the boards or did I ever get the impression he had NBA stuff.

I see big mistake here. Stay away.

If they want a big I think the best value might be in Dexter Pittman or Craig Brackins in the top part of the 2nd round.

Amen.  The only thing appealing about Alabi other than his size and apparently legendary IQ is that his team was fantastic defensively and centers have a lot to do with that.  Everything else (mediocre offensive game, slow, mediocre rebounder, underwhelming shotblocker) about him would suggest that he won't make it in the NBA. 

I also like Pittman.  We seem to have no problem giving fattish guys a chance (Perkins, BBD, Sweetney).  That he couldn't even manage 20 mpg for a single season in his college career doesn't lend a lot of hope for his conditioning, but his physical tools and interior skills are certainly intriguing.  I think he'd make for a more useful 5th big than Shelden Williams.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'm not a fan.  Sure, he's big and athletic, but I go to Maryland and I saw him play twice.  He didn't stand out at all.  Most great players at least give some indication of greatness in college, and Alabi didn't.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd rather have Xavier Henry or James Andersen.

ditto. Those are two names that i’m banking on.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 03:16:01 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
His name + reading about him a little bit screams bust.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.