Author Topic: Chad Ford's Third Mock Draft  (Read 14171 times)

Chad Ford's Third Mock Draft
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080602

Has the Celtics taking Alexis Ajinca 20 yo, 7'1, 240 from France

Re: Chad Ford's Third Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:35:55 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
kinda looks like a French Mark Blount  :o
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The facial expression isn't *quite* dopey enough, though. 

If Nick Batum falls to #25, the Celtics have to trade up to get him.  He just has too many physical gifts to pass on.  I want to walk away from the draft with one of Batum, Buddinger, Douglas-Roberts, Rush, or Bill Walker.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »

Offline Zarex

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Given the Celtics current situation, I don't understand the logic of drafting a guy and "storing" him overseas for a couple of years.  Why would the Celtics want to bring over a useful prospect AFTER the team's championship window has begun closing?  James Posey, P.J. Brown, Eddie House, Tony Allen and Sam Cassell are all potential free agents who will need to be replaced. If the Celtics can't draft a center or wing who can help them at least by midseason, they will likely move the pick.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:41:53 PM by Zarex »

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »

Online P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!

If Nick Batum falls to #25, the Celtics have to trade up to get him.  He just has too many physical gifts to pass on.  I want to walk away from the draft with one of Batum, Buddinger, Douglas-Roberts, Rush, or Bill Walker.

I hope for one of Hardin/Jawai, and Walker/Rush/CDG. I could bet money that we will buy another pick, with so many other teams selling theirs.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Given the Celtics current situation, I don't understand the logic of drafting a guy and "storing" him overseas for a couple of years.  Why would the Celtics want to bring over a useful prospect AFTER the team's championship window has begun closing?  Sam Posey, P.J. Brown, Eddie House, Tony Allen and Sam Cassell are all potential free agents who will need to be replaced. If the Celtics can't draft a center or wing who can help them at least by midseason, they will likely move the pick.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.  By "storing" him over seas for a couple of years, it opens up a Roster spot (and possibly saves them money.  Then they can use that roster spot to fill with a veteran who is more likely to contribute in the next couple of years, rather than a kid who likely is still learning the game.

Generally speaking, you rarely get guys at the end of the first round, who have both potential, and are ready to play.  Generally they are either very raw, but with a ton of upside (Ajinka is definitely in this group), or they are ready to contribute, but don't have much of a future as more than a role player.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 04:46:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I have faith in Ainge.  Guy is a god.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I agree about Batum. And he's not only about athletic potential; he averaged 9 pts, 4 rbs, 3 ast, 2 stl in the Euroleague and went second in the vote for the french league MVP trophy. It's not Gallinari/Pekovic level, but it's still quite impressive for a youngster. If Serge "the new KG" Ibaka is drafted ahead of Batum, GMs have really gone too far with the "athletic big with tons of upside" lovefest.

I'm not the biggest Ajinca's fan, and he won't be NBA ready before at least 2/3 more years, if he ever will, but he's an acceptable choice at the 30th, I guess. 

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Given the Celtics current situation, I don't understand the logic of drafting a guy and "storing" him overseas for a couple of years.  Why would the Celtics want to bring over a useful prospect AFTER the team's championship window has begun closing?  Sam Posey, P.J. Brown, Eddie House, Tony Allen and Sam Cassell are all potential free agents who will need to be replaced. If the Celtics can't draft a center or wing who can help them at least by midseason, they will likely move the pick.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.  By "storing" him over seas for a couple of years, it opens up a Roster spot (and possibly saves them money.  Then they can use that roster spot to fill with a veteran who is more likely to contribute in the next couple of years, rather than a kid who likely is still learning the game.

Generally speaking, you rarely get guys at the end of the first round, who have both potential, and are ready to play.  Generally they are either very raw, but with a ton of upside (Ajinka is definitely in this group), or they are ready to contribute, but don't have much of a future as more than a role player.

I believe that is what this team did with Dino Radja. Bulls also did this with Kukoc.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Why does Ford keep having the Celtics take foreign bigs?

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Danny drafts domestic doesn't he? I can't think of a single foreigner drafted since Danny took over.

I always thought that he liked the comfort zone that came along with drafting American players. The better understanding of what you're getting and what level of competition they're playing against.

Anyways that's not a reason for him not drafting an international player in the future. It would surprise me though.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't put much stock in the mock drafts until about a week before the draft. There's just too many draft camps, personal workouts, and team sponsered tryouts that take place as well as the interviews that need to occur. Stll way too much time to make firm projections.

That said, I like Hardin, Hickson and Douglas-Roberts, the three guys selected right in front of Boston. Many of the mock drafts have Danny going with a foreign prospect and doing the San Antonio training thing by leaving them in Europe. I don't see that happening.

Danny, if they keep the pick, which I seriously doubt they will, will go with the best player available, not the best Euro available who he can leave there and allow to develop. If the Euro happens to be the best player he will be chosen but many mock drafters have him going Euro just for the sake of going Euro. Big mistake of an assumption, I think.

I say the Celtics have already indicated they will not get younger this year because they pulled out of the Summer League. I also think that Danny thinks he has got enough young players right now and needs to see where they stand before trying to go further with more youth.

Look for a trade that moves the both picks(1st and 2nd) for a future pick, or an outright sale of the pick itself. Just my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »

Offline timboup

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7

I take it you're looking for ray allens predecessor?

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think that's a misconception, I think he just hasn't found an overseas player worth the risk that coinciding with his draft position that he'd take over an American youth whom he has seen in person.  But if he doesn't trade the pick I think it'll happen this draft at some point.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »

Offline 2008champs

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
Danny drafts domestic doesn't he? I can't think of a single foreigner drafted since Danny took over.

I always thought that he liked the comfort zone that came along with drafting American players. The better understanding of what you're getting and what level of competition they're playing against.

Anyways that's not a reason for him not drafting an international player in the future. It would surprise me though.

I just don't think there were any foreigners he wanted at the spots we were picking at.  We know that he was intrigued by Yi Jianlian.  He brought in Jiri Welsch.

It would be terrific if Batum slides to us.