Poll

Is Lack of Bigs Production the real problem

Yes
14 (50%)
No
14 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Poll: Is Lack of Bigs Production the real problem  (Read 1719 times)

Poll: Is Lack of Bigs Production the real problem
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:11:39 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Love Horford. Perfect Team guy. Cold truth is this. He's 32 years old. He's post prime now. Prime ended at 27 years old for Big Al.

He's a 12 ppg 6rpg big that's a great passer that plays by himself most of the time as far as bigs go. This reminds me of having nothing behind Kevin Garnett. This current team has more depth but Baynes is limited.

Re: Poll: Is Lack of Bigs Production the real problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yes. Horford is great. Not about too old or his production. He just needs more help.

Like Duncan did back in 2009/2010 when they were starting McDyess and then DeJuan Blair. They were just not offering enough support in interior defense & rebounding. Duncan needed a bit more help to deal with bigger teams. Then they brought in Tiago Splitter and the balance of the team worked much better.

Baynes was that player for the Celtics last season. He can be that player again this season.

But one of those 3 SFs (Hayward, Jaylen, Tatum) will need to become a 6th man.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Yes and no....

Our offense is predicated on giving everyone a slice of the pie but the majority goes through Kyrie...

If anything to gripe on... Its the lack of production coming from Hayward is my concern.. He has been abysmal and paltry compared to his talent.. The guy is ave 8 ppg for someone even coming from injury that is waaaay too low.

GH should be in the 14 ppg by now... Lofty expectations well think again, PG13 came back from the same gruesome injury but was actually way better in terms of performance in his return and didn't miss a beat.... Hayward is the exact opposite... Too passive and more concerned about playmaking which he has been okyish but we need his offense which I may say is very much a concern.

Am I too hard on the guy.. Pobably but look at Kyrie, he already has dusted his post injury layoff and has been astounding... Id probably give Hayward another month or so but honestly if his production stays in the 10-13 ppg this season, id be very very concern. The Cs gave up a max contract to Hayward, he really ought to be producing much better than what he is providing right now.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yes and no....

Our offense is predicated on giving everyone a slice of the pie but the majority goes through Kyrie...

If anything to gripe on... Its the lack of production coming from Hayward is my concern.. He has been abysmal and paltry compared to his talent.. The guy is ave 8 ppg for someone even coming from injury that is waaaay too low.

GH should be in the 14 ppg by now... Lofty expectations well think again, PG13 came back from the same gruesome injury but was actually way better in terms of performance in his return and didn't miss a beat.... Hayward is the exact opposite... Too passive and more concerned about playmaking which he has been okyish but we need his offense which I may say is very much a concern.

Am I too hard on the guy.. Pobably but look at Kyrie, he already has dusted his post injury layoff and has been astounding... Id probably give Hayward another month or so but honestly if his production stays in the 10-13 ppg this season, id be very very concern. The Cs gave up a max contract to Hayward, he really ought to be producing much better than what he is providing right now.
Uh, Paul George averaged 8.8 ppg in his first 6 games back.  he then had the off season to further get better, but he got the gitters out in that 6 games.  He was also the focal point of the Pacers offense and was allowed to just shoot at will and he had a lot of bad games.  Hayward needs some more time, but he also isn't being done any favors by being on such a good deep team.  He just isn't getting the touches he needs to work the kinks out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we need to have daily shooting drills because whatever the reason shots are not falling and it is killing us.

We are shooting .429 from the field.  27th in the league.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/shooting-pct

We are 14th in three point percentage

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-point-pct

Effective Field Goal % we are 22nd

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/effective-field-goal-pct

NBA Team True Shooting % we are 23rd

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/true-shooting-percentage

Right now we are struggling to make a two with a pencil we are shooting so bad.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I just think we need a center to gobble up the rebounds. Gobert killed us yesterday in the post. It's time for Ainge to start thinking "BIG"

Acquiring a really good center is hard because they're hard to come by, but that's what we need.

I think the shots will start falling, but if they don't, we need a big man to put them back in.

Also, Stevens needs to start thinking about changing up that starting lineup. It's time for guys to start proving themselves, otherwise ride the pine until your name is called.

It's still very early, but for a championship team, this kind of play is unacceptable. We shouldn't be losing to teams like Indy and Utah and going to overtime with Phoenix.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 11:50:02 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
No.

the last few champs Cavs and Warrior won it all without rim protection or huge production from their "bigs".....at least not in the scoring department.

We need more points in the paint and more free-throws.  We need more commitment to try driving the ball to the basket.  3s are fine, but we need to mix-it-up with points in the paint.  Backcuts, drive, postups....whatever it takes

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 12:05:42 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Brad doesn't play his bigs. It is hard to produce when you are sitting on the bench.

We got killed inside last night while Baynes and Williams sat on the bench. It drives me crazy.

The Jazz got 17 more rebounds than we did. I would have played Williams, unless his knees are bad.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 12:13:04 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We could use a center that has size and length and can get off of the floor. Al is beginning to look old to me, not all the time mind you...but more so in extended minutes.

While Baynes is a hulking guy, but he is slow off the floor when he does react. His strong suit is using his body.

We were killed inside against Utah.

When you add this defensive flaw in with our poor outside shooting and play in general, yeah an additional defensive minded center couldn't hurt at all.

Also...We're not the Golden State Warriors talent wise, no one is. We don't have the best player in the game like Cleveland did either. We need a different pallet of talent than other teams.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
Brad doesn't play his bigs. It is hard to produce when you are sitting on the bench.

We got killed inside last night while Baynes and Williams sat on the bench. It drives me crazy.

The Jazz got 17 more rebounds than we did. I would have played Williams, unless his knees are bad.

AND this is also very true. ^

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We could use a center that has size and length and can get off of the floor. Al is beginning to look old to me, not all the time mind you...but more so in extended minutes.

While Baynes is a hulking guy, but he is slow off the floor when he does react. His strong suit is using his body.

When you add this defensive flaw in with our poor outside shooting and play in general, yeah an additional defensive minded center couldn't hurt at all.

Also...We're not the Golden State Warriors talent wise, no one is. We don't have the best player in the game like Cleveland did either. We need a different pallet of talent than other teams.

We have a center with size and length who can get off the floor....Williams.

Unless he is injured, play him! Plenty of rookies are helping their teams now.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
This is fine compared to Olynyk Amir Johnson Zeller days  :P

Theis is hurt again, but when healthy they aren’t the main problem... maybe when Horford ages more it’ll be a yes

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas

We have a center with size and length who can get off the floor....Williams.

Unless he is injured, play him! Plenty of rookies are helping their teams now.

What that old saying, "you're preaching to the choir." lol.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 01:19:42 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I don't believe in the concept of earning minutes. I believe in giving trust to your talented players and letting them make mistakes as long as they give effort and play with the right mindset. You learn most from your mistakes. And like Chris22 said, there are a lot of rookies getting regular minutes, why not Williams? (Especially now that Theis is out!!!)

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The issue isn't with the personnel, it's with the rotation.

Horford is best utilized as a C/F hybrid. Sometimes you start him at F next to Baynes. Sometimes you start him at C next to a big wing. The goal is to always have him going against the more advantageous matchup.

The issue is Horford isn't being used this way, like he has in the past, and the 'big wing' next to Horford has been Tatum/Hayward. One of them needs to come off the bench and have Morris start as the 'big wing'.

The team should go back to what was working last year in terms of the starting rotation.   Yes, that means one of Tatum or Hayward need to become the '6th man'. It might be good for Hayward to get more minutes as the featured option against reserves. And it's probably best for both to split their minutes up as much as possible.