Author Topic: Becoming the 3rd team in the Ariza/Oubre deal  (Read 2650 times)

Becoming the 3rd team in the Ariza/Oubre deal
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8m4bpl6

Boston
Oubre
Holmes

Why? We clearly get an upgrade in talent, even if both are just rentals. Assuming Oubre starts playing well under Stevens, this could lead to Rozier being dealt for a future pick, with Oubre assuming his minutes off-the-bench. That said pick could then be used as part of a bigger deal this off-season (Davis).

Washington
Ariza

Why? For them, pieces in/out remain unchanged.

Phoenix
Rivers
Yabusele
Bird
2020 2nd round pick from Boston
2021 2nd round pick from Boston
$ from Boston in order to waive Bird

Why? Receiving Rivers and 2 second round picks remain unchanged. Yabusele replaces Brooks (the good one) in terms of a prospect on a cost controlled contract who has some potential. I really don't think Brooks is a better prospect than Yabusele, but perhaps the Suns feel differently. Bird is immediately waived using the money Boston sends to off-set the cost.

Re: Becoming the 3rd team in the Ariza/Oubre deal
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Has Washington offered Oebre? He’s just coming into his own. Seems like we’re not giving up much here. Is he an unrestricted FA after season?

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Has Washington offered Oebre? He’s just coming into his own. Seems like we’re not giving up much here. Is he an unrestricted FA after season?

Yes. He's expiring, but will be restricted. Washington won't be able to sign him as a result of the money owed to Wall, Beal, and Porter. In theory they could, but the luxury tax would be unreal.

What had been an agreement on a three-team deal that would have sent Ariza and two Grizzlies second-round picks to the Wizards, Washington's Kelly Oubre Jr. to Memphis, and Washington guard Austin Rivers and Memphis forward Wayne Selden to the Suns unraveled once the Suns and Grizzlies couldn't agree whether Memphis' MarShon Brooks or Dillon Brooks would be joining Phoenix, league sources told ESPN.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Boston
Oubre
Holmes

Why? We clearly get an upgrade in talent, even if both are just rentals. Assuming Oubre starts playing well under Stevens, this could lead to Rozier being dealt for a future pick, with Oubre assuming his minutes off-the-bench. That said pick could then be used as part of a bigger deal this off-season (Davis).

Washington
Ariza

Phoenix
Rivers
Yabusele
Bird

Why? Receiving Rivers and 2 second round picks remain unchanged. Yabusele replaces Brooks (the good one) in terms of a prospect on a cost controlled contract who has some potential. I really don't think Brooks is a better prospect than Yabusele, but perhaps the Suns feel differently. Bird is immediately waived using the money Boston sends to off-set the cost.

I like it, but I'm not sure why Phoenix would take our pu pu platter over Oubre.  I'd want Oubre.

It seems pretty clear that Oubre is the shiny quarter of their options- our offer is a few nickels.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Boston
Oubre
Holmes

Washington
Ariza

Phoenix
Rivers
Yabusele
Bird

I like it, but I'm not sure why Phoenix would take our pu pu platter over Oubre.  I'd want Oubre.

They clearly don't value him. If they did they wouldn't be looking for a 3rd team. Judging by them wanting Brooks, it looks like they're looking for a cheap prospect on a multiple year rookie deal, to go with Rivers and a couple of second round picks.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Oubre is about to hit free agency. Assuming we trade for him and then re-sign him, our payroll will explode through the roof next season. Not my money of course, just saying.

I mean, it seems like the C's aren't willing to keep both Smart and Rozier. If that's the case, I bet the same would apply for Smart and Oubre.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:53:48 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Boston
Oubre
Holmes

Washington
Ariza

Phoenix
Rivers
Yabusele
Bird

They clearly don't value him. If they did they wouldn't be looking for a 3rd team. Judging by them wanting Brooks, it looks like they're looking for a cheap prospect on a multiple year rookie deal, to go with Rivers and a couple of second round picks.

That's because they viewed Dillon Brooks as an alternative to him and Dillon Brooks proved he's already a playoff caliber role as a rookie and made All Rookie 2nd Team in a historically great rookie crop.  Offering Yabu as an alternative to Brooks is like eating $0.99 ramen over steak.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:04:06 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Boston
Oubre
Holmes

Washington
Ariza

Phoenix
Rivers
Yabusele
Bird

That's because they viewed Dillon Brooks as an alternative to him and Dillon Brooks proved he's already a playoff caliber role as a rookie and made All Rookie 2nd Team in a historically great rookie crop.  Offering Yabu as an alternative to Brooks is like eating $0.99 ramen over steak.

I think you're a little off on Brooks. He did NOT make all rookie second team and he does NOT have any playoff experience. In addition, this year he was coming off-the-bench and averging just 18.9 MPG, 6.8 PPG, 2.1 RPG, and 0.9 MPG.

Again, if they really wanted Oubre then the Suns would not need a 3rd team.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Boston
Oubre
Holmes

Washington
Ariza

Phoenix
Rivers
Yabusele
Bird

I think you're a little off on Brooks. He did NOT make all rookie second team and he does NOT have any playoff experience. In addition, this year he was coming off-the-bench and averging just 18.9 MPG, 6.8 PPG, 2.1 RPG, and 0.9 MPG.

Again, if they really wanted Oubre then the Suns would not need a 3rd team.

I thought he made all rookie 2nd team, my mistake.  I know he doesn't have playoff experience but in following the Grizzlies and their box scores and watching him play, it is clear he would be valuable on a playoff team as a low usage 3 and D type player off the bench.  Look at his performance starting last year as a rookie.  His 25 best games are all better than Yabu's best.

You're right that they clearly don't value Oubre.  But they clearly don't value Yabu either, or this deal would already be done.  For DA it's win-win-win, a move to consolidate talent, get the better player, and free up roster spots for a buy out and our incoming first round picks.  If they had the choice between your deal and Oubre, they'd take Oubre just to flip him and get more.

EDIT: This speaks to you proposing a great deal for us.  I love this deal, I just don't think Yabu is going to fetch us a player like Oubre.  Maybe a player of his caliber who's 32.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:20:06 AM by smokeablount »

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 11:53:43 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Looks like Ariza is going to DC for Rivers and Oubre

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-wizards-trading-austin-rivers-kelly-oubre-phoenix-trevor-ariza-164659885.html

Like this for Suns if they re-sign Oubre. Kid can shoot.

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-wizards-trading-austin-rivers-kelly-oubre-phoenix-trevor-ariza-164659885.html

That's a huge win for Phoenix IMHO, especially if they can extend Oubre.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Rivers should also get some good run in Phoenix, they are desperate for a decent point guard/

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 12:52:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Another casualty of the Wall contract.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Kelly Oubre is career 32% three point shooter. He's shooting a whopping 31% this season. Have people watched him play?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman