Author Topic: Tom Crean out at IU per Peegs  (Read 7744 times)

Re: Tom Crean out at IU per Peegs
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Stevens won't leave and neither will Shaka.

I don't think Stevens is concerned with "Greatest of All Time College Coach" legacy- he loves the challenge and establishing of foundations. The NBA is the greatest basketball challenge in the world, and he's jsut starting to get people to "buy in" and enjoy themselves.

I follow VCU closely (they're screwed this year without Weber and with Treveon Graham hurt, by the way), and Shaka will not leave. I'll bet any amount of Tommy Points that he doesn't. He's another guy who has established a foundation. He's making great money ($1.2 million a year), and he legitimately has a "Family" culture at VCU. Pretty much every player on the team grew up without a father, and he's one of, if not the, most prominent male figures in the lives of all his players. Some of them even call him "dad." Shaka goes thorugh every offseason training program and "Ironman" drill with his team not as a gimmick but as a role model. That's why he never left for UCLA or such- he couldn't justify leaving the kids he helped so much. As much as Brad overachieved and had strong sentiments towards Butler, his actual emotional bond with his players is/was not on the same level as Shaka's with his players. 

Re: Tom Crean out at IU per Peegs
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:38 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
It's possible we lose him and Danny would let him go for little or more likely nothing. Can't keep a coach who wants to be elsewhere.
that is true, look at doc. but i have not seen the slightest hint in the media tied to any real evidence that CBS wishes to jump ship back to the college ranks. none. please provide it if you can.

i don't think CBS is sitting there thinking "[dang], i didn't expect this celtics team to lose games while we did the rebuild!!" he knew what he was in for and accepted it. CBS does not appear to be the sort of person who jumps around a lot or is easily discouraged.

nor do i think he would spent the FIRST 2-3 years of a rebuild, when the team stinks, just to jump ship when the team is beginning to win. next season i expect the celtics to have some much better players and to be in the playoffs. i believe CBS thinks the same way.

he is staying with the celtics for the foreseeable future.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva