Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 20827 times)

Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
It was also unrealistic to exect a technologically advanced group of people to relegate themselves to a lower position on the food chain.

Why? It made sense imo. They knew the cycle of violence had been repeated again and again and they didn't want it to repeat so they chose to abandon their technology and to live "naturally", which would prevent them to repeat their mistakes. It's not totally clear how far they get ride of their knowledge and technology but I think they used some stuff (like the raptors, see Adama) to ease some of their work and, this exception taken apart, lived without technology.

But while I didn't love the ending, the acting and character development remained consistently excellent.  Olmos and McDonnell were first rate (as usual)and Katie Sackoff is a fine actress from whom I expect more going forward.

I loved the ending (except the NYC part) and I agree that the acting and character development were excellent overall. The actors were really great even in scenes which were tough to make (like the conversations between the two Baltar).

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2009, 09:03:38 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
Bears. Beats. Battlestar Galactica.

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2009, 09:54:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've got a lot of thoughts on the series finale, but for right now, I LOVED the last 2 mins. The whole series..all the pain, drama, action...all relegated to "DON'T BUILD ROBOTS! DON'T DO IT!"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm not sure if I'm real happy with the Starbuck rebirth storyline. Everything else I can live with. It was an excellent series.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not sure if I'm real happy with the Starbuck rebirth storyline. Everything else I can live with. It was an excellent series.

She was a ghost, basically.  That's the explanation.

No series has ever reeked more of "making it up on the fly" than this show.  It turned into a cliche sci-fi show.  No offense to the people here who love their cliche sci-fi shows with wonky plots and backwards logic, but that wasn't what made BSG have such mass appeal.  The final two seasons were utter garbage and nothing like the original concept of the show.  It jumped the shark when they randomly picked 5 characters to be the "final 5" after listening to some Bob Dylan song.  Complete nonsense.  Did they switch writers or something?  I know at some point some of the writers went to do the short-lived "Bionic Woman" TV show...  and I read that the new live-action Star Wars TV show had hired BSG writers...  is that what happened?... did the writers bail leaving some cliche sci-fi nerds to take over?  It really feels that way. 

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2009, 01:33:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
they're gonna make the same mistakes all over again. i think the head characters were closer to demons,angels to lucifer(who was a character in the original. the heads were wearing red and black, not that clinches it or anything. i like to think they are demons cuz i view god or gods(whatever higher power there is)in our real world as a deadbeat. 
Lucifer was a character in the original?  In what capacity? 

I'd bet copious amounts of money that when they originally had Baltar having visions of "caprica six" (head six) they weren't thinking, "Well she's an angel working for the devil"...  I'm sure the initially had plans to make Baltar a cylon or something or a chip implanted in his head, but fell into a trap of having a rabid internet fanbase who already guessed all the potential plotpoints.  So instead, they just go with anything (no matter how ridiculous) that can be considered "unpredictable"... such as randomly picking 5 characters to be the final 5 and explaining it as "oh they had wiped memories"... and deciding at the last second, "[dang]... we have no explanation for these visions... lets just say they are angels".

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
they're gonna make the same mistakes all over again. i think the head characters were closer to demons,angels to lucifer(who was a character in the original. the heads were wearing red and black, not that clinches it or anything. i like to think they are demons cuz i view god or gods(whatever higher power there is)in our real world as a deadbeat. 

I'd bet copious amounts of money that when they originally had Baltar having visions of "caprica six" (head six) they weren't thinking, "Well she's an angel working for the devil"...  I'm sure the initially had plans to make Baltar a cylon or something or a chip implanted in his head, but fell into a trap of having a rabid internet fanbase who already guessed all the potential plotpoints.  So instead, they just go with anything (no matter how ridiculous) that can be considered "unpredictable"... such as randomly picking 5 characters to be the final 5 and explaining it as "oh they had wiped memories"... and deciding at the last second, "[dang]... we have no explanation for these visions... lets just say they are angels".

Is everyone familiar with the phrase "deus ex machina"? That to a degree is how I feel about the last episode. It all came together so fast. And took so long to get there.

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Is everyone familiar with the phrase "deus ex machina"? That to a degree is how I feel about the last episode. It all came together so fast. And took so long to get there.

I had to crack up at the sequence of events towards the end.  There's like a 2 minute period where Baltar gives his speech, they make peace with the Cylons, the "final 5" stick their hands into a pool which will conveniently show them each other's entire history, Chief figures out the Indian chick cylon killed his wife so he strangles her to death... everyone flips out, all the cylons conveniently get killed... Cavil decides to blow his brains out (what?), a spaceship with a dead pilot conveniently shoots off some nukes that blows up the cylon base ship... kara puts in some musical notes and they jump to earth.  Yay...

I had to crack up when Cavil goes "FRACK!!!" and puts a gun in his mouth.   Soooooo forced.

I have been watching "Lost" and read that they have two more seasons planned and that they already have it plotted out.  I don't have a link to the interview, but I guess they were talking to the creators and they basically said they don't give a crap what the fans think.  They don't give a crap if the show starts tanking in the ratings.  They have their two seasons plotted out and they are going to do it their way.  If fans don't like it initially, they don't care... the hope is that eventually people will buy the DVD's and have a story that tied together properly.  And I LOVE to hear that and I really hope it's true.   Whereas BSG almost felt like they approached each episode and decided, "Ok... what should we do today?" until they finally got to the end and were like "oh crap... we better resolve all this nonsense we came up with".

Btw... I'm completely positive they came up with this crap on the fly, because I just read an interview with the BSG creator talking about how one the original ideas for the series ending (that they came up with this year) was to have Ellen Tigh blow up Galactica in a fit of rage over Saul getting Caprica pregnant.   Obviously they were just slinging poop onto the wall and seeing what would stick.  Credit the writer's strike with some of this.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:25:22 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I had to crack up at the sequence of events towards the end.  There's like a 2 minute period where Baltar gives his speech, they make peace with the Cylons, the "final 5" stick their hands into a pool which will conveniently show them each other's entire history, Chief figures out the Indian chick cylon killed his wife so he strangles her to death... everyone flips out, all the cylons conveniently get killed... Cavil decides to blow his brains out (what?), a spaceship with a dead pilot conveniently shoots off some nukes that blows up the cylon base ship... kara puts in some musical notes and they jump to earth.  Yay...

I had to crack up when Cavil goes "FRACK!!!" and puts a gun in his mouth.   Soooooo forced.

When you actually read all that, its hilarious.

From Cavil going "there are two civilizations waiting for you" to them seeing earth...literally 5 mins. Eh?

And Kara freaking Thrace? that storyline ended awful. A ghost/angel. Great. Lee Adama? No resolution, he just wants to explore. William Adama dies what, alone? Yeah cuz his son is only on the same freakin planet. On top of that, Six and Baltar are angels? Or is that how we have to see them, like the father in "Contact"? And if the cylons has superior numbers, superior firepower, and home court advantage, how come the raptor teams even reached Hera?

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I wish I could have been in the writer's meeting. They had to all be sitting around smoking weed and trying to think of a way to resolve the nonsensical web they had spun...

Writer #1: "Hmmm... what if like...  ok.. ok... stick with me on this... what if like... we find out they are all cylons, right?  Like... no... wait...  Kara was human, but cylons did tests on her when she thought she was pregnant... maybe they downloaded her brain into a synthetic clone just in case..."

Writer #2: "Nah dude, too predictable... and we already have our hierarchy set.  Cavil is bad... Ellen is good.  We can't get any more confusing"

Writer #1: "But wait dude... what if like... we find out that there is a third cylon race that's unseen, right?... and they have been pulling the strings, right?"

Writer #2: "I like it... but instead of making it a cylon race... how bout we make it an alien race..."

Writer #1: "Aliens?... like martians?"

Writer #2: "no man... like... an alien race of clones!"

Writer #3:  "Shape shifting aliens sent by Lord Xenu!"

Writer #1: "wait wait wait... i got it... I got it...  lets just end the series with Gaius Baltar waking up back on Caprica... looking into the mirror and going, "It was all a dream!! It was all a dream!! I must live my life for good!" and giving roast duck to all the homeless people in his neighborhood... "

Writer #3:  "So head-six was actually the ghost of christmas future"

Writer #2: "I like where you're going with this... lets stick with this ghost theme...."

Silly
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:46:13 PM by LarBrd33 »