Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 20826 times)

Battlestar Galactica
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
are there any fans here? this show is amazing. i swear if this show was on abc,nbc, or cbs it would be huge. i think people really get put off by the idea of any show involving space. i watch "lost" as well. both shows deal with a lot of mystical, fantasy stuff. lost has a HUGE following,killer ratings etc. men and women alike love ths show..but battlestar gallactica to me  is better in every way. acting,directing,storytelling, music. i really think this is the best series on tv in a long time.frakking awesome!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:24:09 PM by IndeedProceed »

Re: recommending battlestar gallactica
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
being a sci-fi/star wars geek, i liked it.  i am a casual fan and by no means a die hard, but i liked it nonetheless.  anything involving space always intrigues me

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Im a fan.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
Great show....earth nuked 2000 years ago.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Never seen it, but I read an article about it in Time magazine (and oddly made it through the whole article).  I watched the old one.  This one seems interesting, but I'm having a harder time getting sucked into TV these days.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »

Offline GJPBoston

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 7
I agree, one of the two best shows on television I have ever seen (the other is "The Wire").  I put it in front of Sopranos.

As a kid in the late 1970s I was a fan of the original series, which was a pretty cheesy space opera, but as a 10 year old in 1978 I loved it.

The new BSG is an entirely different genre--serious, thoughtful science fiction.  They deal with what it means to be human, is terrorism or torture ever justified and when, the consequences and meaning of ethics, etc.  They almost never spoon feed the audience easy answers, as their are no easy answers. 

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline Danimals

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Two thumbs up: BSG, Rome, The Shield, Damages, Boston Legal (first season), Lost, Heroes, Weeds, Dexter, CSI, Entourage, How I Met Your Mother, The Riches.

If you like BSG, you may want to Netflix the movie, Serenity, followed by the short lived series Firefly.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm seen every episode so I guess I'm a fan.  I didn't watch the season premiere this week, but I gotta say that the first half of this season was total garbage.

I don't have a lot of faith that any of the series will ever make sense.  It's one of those shows where it seems like they just make it up on the fly and no actual explanation was every planned out.  For years that was the criticism I had heard about "Lost".   I finally started watching "Lost" a couple weeks ago and I gotta say... "Lost" seems a lot more thought out than BSG.  I don't have any faith at all that the writers of BSG knew who the cylons were before they started the show.   I've been very disappointed in it.

First couple seasons were great, though.  If I wasn't so down on the show, the most recent episode probably wouldn't just be sitting in my DVR waiting to be watched. 

I should note... I'm not a sci-fi geek.  This show was recommended to me by several people including one of my gay friends and my ex-girlfriend.  It obviously appeals to a huge audience.  I was blown away by the show initially.  It had been phenomenal.  I had recommended it to plenty of people.   I just have to say... the recent season has been a big let down.  The second half (finale of the series) better deliver.   

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 07:45:18 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, I thought that Friday's episode was powerful; better than anything since season 2.  Even when the scripts are so-so and the plot is too byzantine, Ewdard James Olmos, Mary McDonnell and the rest of the cast have been consistently outstanding.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Although I think it is a great show, I'm not sure if I like the "Earth was nuked" twist. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Although I think it is a great show, I'm not sure if I like the "Earth was nuked" twist. 

Count me in the BSG camp. I will say about the "Earth was niked" twist  that I don't think it's supposed to be our Earth but rather what the colonists refer to as 'Earth". Also the Ellen reveal was lame.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
what the frack....big BSG fan. caught on late. still in season 3.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Two thumbs up: BSG, Rome, The Shield, Damages, Boston Legal (first season), Lost, Heroes, Weeds, Dexter, CSI, Entourage, How I Met Your Mother, The Riches.

If you like BSG, you may want to Netflix the movie, Serenity, followed by the short lived series Firefly.

How I Met Your Mother is hilarious.  One of the funniest shows I've seen in some time now.  I've never watched BSG, but I'm recently getting into scifi more and more.  A lot of the shows that SciFi puts out are actually very good.  I'm a big stargate and eureka fan.  I missed BSG from the start, so I didnt want to catch on late and I just never had time to start from the beginning.  Looks like I'll have to though.
do it

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 03:32:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's what happens when you don't press the button every 108 minutes.