Author Topic: Best Sitcoms all time?  (Read 8678 times)

Re: Best Sitcoms all time?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Friends.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Often ignored and underrated, My Name is Earl should be on any list.

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 07:06:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Great show as well as "Raising Hope" by the same people...

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 07:52:43 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'll just mention two I haven't seen so far.

Married With Children (my all-time favorite)
South Park

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 07:56:25 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
I'll just mention two I haven't seen so far.

Married With Children (my all-time favorite)
South Park

Both great shows.  Still watch South Park.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 08:01:24 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I know some of you are questioning the inclusion of animated shows, but King of the Hill is definitely one of the best.  I would take it over the golden years of the Simpsons (which I also love).

I never appreciated it when it first aired.  Was expecting a Beavis and Butthead spinoff, something more crude and offensive along the lines of other animated sitcoms that came before and after (Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, etc.).  Plus I was also a teen when it first came out, so those more in your face shows were definitely what I wanted.  So watching King of the Hill when it first came out, expecting something much different than what it was, I just didn't connect with it.

It wasn't till near the end of its run, when it was the only thing airing on a plane, that I watched it and realized how hilarious it was.  The humor is just so dry, not like anything else (and definitely not like any other animated show), so if you're not paying attention you can easily miss half the jokes. 

And due to it's dry style, still holds up incredibly well.  I'm constantly watching re-runs of King of the Hill, more than anything else.  The re-watches hold up better than the majority of other shows.

King of the Hill might be #1 for me, animated or otherwise.

Cosby Show is probably top 5.  When it first aired, it's just what me and my family watched on Thursdays at 8pm.  But watching re-runs as an adult, also still hilarious, and so many little things about the humor I didn't appreciate as a kid when I just saw it as a family sitcom.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 08:04:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I know some of you are questioning the inclusion of animated shows, but King of the Hill is definitely one of the best.  I would take it over the golden years of the Simpsons (which I also love).

I never appreciated it when it first aired.  Was expecting a Beavis and Butthead spinoff, something more crude and offensive along the lines of other animated sitcoms that came before and after (Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, etc.).  Plus I was also a teen when it first came out, so those more in your face shows were definitely what I wanted.  So watching King of the Hill when it first came out, expecting something much different than what it was, I just didn't connect with it.

It wasn't till near the end of its run, when it was the only thing airing on a plane, that I watched it and realized how hilarious it was.  The humor is just so dry, not like anything else (and definitely not like any other animated show), so if you're not paying attention you can easily miss half the jokes. 

And due to it's dry style, still holds up incredibly well.  I'm constantly watching re-runs of King of the Hill, more than anything else.  The re-watches hold up better than the majority of other shows.

King of the Hill might be #1 for me, animated or otherwise.

Cosby Show is probably top 5.  When it first aired, it's just what me and my family watched on Thursdays at 8pm.  But watching re-runs as an adult, also still hilarious, and so many little things about the humor I didn't appreciate as a kid when I just saw it as a family sitcom.

Pocket sand!

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2022, 08:05:56 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Andy Griffith Show #1…everyone else#2
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2022, 08:51:32 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Gotta go with Californication.

This show brought me a lot of laughs for 7-8 years.

Irreverent and witty (and not in the NYC Seinfeld/Curb sarcastic, ironic detachment, self-absorbed, embarrassing, pseudo-sophisticated kind of way),but rather nuanced and layered. Lot of interesting character development over the years too.

I was never a big Duchovny fan, but he was perfect for this role, and his comedic timing is impressive. I urge people to watch the first episode, if you haven't seen it. (Not for children). If you like it, watch all 8 seasons. If not, don't bother.

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2022, 08:54:21 PM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I’m not too sure what is characterized as the ‘best’, but in terms of critical success, sublime script writing and acting…it’s Frasier.

I know it isn’t the most quotable and not the most popular in regards to viewership, but it always won the most Emmy Awards (37 in total) during a sitcom golden era of shows including; Seinfeld, Friends, Roseanne, The Nanny, Everyone Loves Raymond, Will & Grace, 3rd Rock From The Sun, The King of Queens, Becker, The Drew Carey Show.

Yeah as much as I like Seinfeld, The Office and others, the answer is Frasier and it’s not particularly close. I have it as a top 5 show ever.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2022, 11:18:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Great show as well as "Raising Hope" by the same people...
in that same era -- Third Rock from the Sun.  another underrated comedy

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 11:25:01 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Top 10 in no particular order

VEEP
30 Rock
Seinfeld
Bob Newhart Show
MASH
Curb your Enthusiasm
The Office
Taxi
Night Court
Weeds

Is weeds really a sitcom

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 11:31:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
If you don't mind going back in time a bit, i always liked Barney Miller and Soap...though Soap may not strictly be a sitcom.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2022, 11:44:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
If you don't mind going back in time a bit, i always liked Barney Miller and Soap...though Soap may not strictly be a sitcom.

Another two good ones! I might have to make a longer list.

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2022, 01:52:38 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Andy Griffith Show #1…everyone else#2

So Right !!!!

Andy Griffith Show is the best tv of all time - comedy, crime, drama, whatever.
It's not even close. That show is America.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce