Poll

Who would you rather have moving forward?

Thompson
9 (20.5%)
Theis
35 (79.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Tristan Thompson or Daniel Theis?  (Read 8044 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson or Daniel Theis?
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thompson has been bad this year on the whole. He is always in the right position as a help defender and screener, but he no longer has the bounce to finish above the rim. The biggest defensive issue with the double big lineup is that other teams would get the celtics into rotations and eventually Thompson would be a step late on a 3 point shooter for an open shot. When Kemba and Tatum are both playing it should be the end of the Thompson/Theis pairing. I'd prefer it if Robert Williams gets Thompson's minutes unless Thompson miraculously gets his bounce back.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2021, 03:22:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
How soon till we start the Tristan for Horford trade proposals ? Lol 😂

Definite no on Horford, but TT does have a tradable contract. We have been lacking in those mid-level contracts in recent years for trades so that is useful. We also have the TPE, young players, and all of our future picks, so it does seem as though we have some options moving forward. We just need to make the right moves as/if they become available.

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2021, 08:06:39 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
The proper answer to this poll, of course, is Robert Williams.
Theis have been our best big the last 18 months. What improvements have Timelord made in the meantime?

There of course have been the usual problems with availability, but Timelord seems to have been the most impactful big man for the Cs in almost every game he's played.

He finishes at the basket better than Thompson or Theis. He's a better passer, runs the floor better, protects the rim. He makes over 70 percent of his shots, taking them from the same places as Thompson.

If you want to look at the previously mentioned Total Points Added, Williams is 76th in the league despite his short minutes, fourth on the Celtics.

You can make an argument for Theis, but Williams has clearly been better than Thompson.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2021, 11:02:19 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
TL and TT with a combined 0-0 field goals  while Theis is 8 of 12 . Is there anymore discussion who’s our best big?

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
TL and TT with a combined 0-0 field goals  while Theis is 8 of 12 . Is there anymore discussion who’s our best big?
I found people doubting a quality starting big who was the "anchor" of a top 5 defence last year in favour of a raw prospect and a journeyman big who's solid but not amazing amusing tbh.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2021, 11:21:11 PM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
I found people doubting a quality starting big who was the "anchor" of a top 5 defence last year in favour of a raw prospect and a journeyman big who's solid but not amazing amusing tbh.

I agree that Theis is our best big, but not sure I’d call Thompson a journeyman. Wasn’t Cle the only team he played for before this year?

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2021, 11:38:03 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I agree that Theis is our best big, but not sure I’d call Thompson a journeyman. Wasn’t Cle the only team he played for before this year?
Celtics are his second team correct. At which point Timelord is not viewed as a raw project but what he is? How can you justify not paying Theis next year to keep the two inferior centers

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2021, 12:26:39 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Theis had a great game.  But TL and TT combining for 0-0 in a game where we had great team offense isn't an indictment IMO.  If we lost the game or struggled to score, then that's another story.  But I consider it a plus that they don't need shots for our team to be productive and can let our more talented offensive players score.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2021, 12:55:25 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Clearly looks like Theis at this point, and like another poster said, I’d prefer Robert get TT’s mins. I think TT has been our worst C by far.

Kemba / PP
Smart / JB*
JB / JT*
JT / Semi
Theis / Robert

Looks like a strong 8 man playoff rotation. Next year, hopefully Romeo and/or Nesmith are ready to make an impact for us.

*Indicates a starter backing up a 2nd position
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2021, 01:36:41 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
TT is at least our best rebounder. If he just focuses on that he's a positive effect

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2021, 01:44:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

My bad, but my point was more about him being a good backup/decent starting big with the exception of 2016/2017. Theis is one of the better starting bigs in the league imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2021, 01:45:13 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
TT is at least our best rebounder. If he just focuses on that he's a positive effect

Agree. Rebounding,  toughness defense. Scal and Mike were saying his game fits in beautifully with the team because he is content doing the dirty work.

People are forgetting too how badly Theis was abused by Bam in the ECF last year. Tristan will not get knocked around like that.

I like Theis BTW. If he keeps his head in the game he is quite good. But just a week ago half the blog wanted to trade him, and now he's a world beater. Lol

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 04:00:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Agree. Rebounding,  toughness defense. Scal and Mike were saying his game fits in beautifully with the team because he is content doing the dirty work.

People are forgetting too how badly Theis was abused by Bam in the ECF last year. Tristan will not get knocked around like that.

I like Theis BTW. If he keeps his head in the game he is quite good. But just a week ago half the blog wanted to trade him, and now he's a world beater. Lol
That's the forums for you :laugh:, but Theis is a really good centre regardless of how poorly people on this forum think of him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

To be fair, I started this thread about a week ago and the results are in favor of Theis: 31-9, so definitely not half. And I'd bet several of those 9 are in favor of keeping both.

Anyway, no question at this point. Theis is so much more versatile, is younger, more athletic, and can spread the floor. I highly doubt he is going to be getting $15M+/yr offer next season - it is essential that we keep him regardless of what the rest of our C rotation looks like.

You mention Bam not knocking around Thompson like he did with Theis, but I provided stats above from the PHI match-ups where Embiid absolutely destroyed TT. I realize they are different players, but I was at least hoping TT would be able to hold Embiid at his season averages - especially since he is an absolute zero on offense.

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 08:23:19 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I didn't really watch much of Thompson in Cleveland, but how was he a double, double guy? Did he ever have an offensive game, or was it all put backs? I mean, seriously, i don't remember seeing an NBA player with a worse offensive game. He has no moves, and tends to miss a large amount of short hooks, if that's what that is he's shooting.

I also don't see how he's going to match up with a guy like Bam. He doesn't impress me on on the defensive side of the ball either, and he is certainly not a rim protector.

He does appear to be a good rebounder however. Sets a decent screen.

All in all, I wish they had kept Kanter. Great rebounder, decent passer, and wasn't actually any worse on the defensive end, as far as I can see.