Author Topic: Memphis Loses 3 Straight  (Read 5395 times)

Re: Memphis losses 3 straight
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I posted about this on another thread.  If they miss playoffs, our pick goes from 17/16/15 to 14. 

We could then try to package our 14th pick with our 26/30 pick for a top 5 guy that mysteriously drops a few slots.

Keep an eye out for Wiseman.  His stock is all over the place.
So even if we ended up with the 14th pick, packaging with 26/30 gets you to what, 12?

In normal year, it would probably get you up to top 10. I just don't know about this year. With the drop in revenue, there may be more sellers than buyers of first round picks. Someone else can weigh in on what the cost is to trade up.

I could possibly see teams liking the guaranteed contracts of young players, but that won't dictate what most teams in the top 10 do with their pick. If they think star talent is available, they will keep it. If not, they will trade it. I don't think the loss of revenue will impact that.

However, I do think the Warriors are a wild card. With Curry-Thompson-Green-Wiggins locked up, they are already close to the hard cap. I don't think Wiggins can help them win championships, which means they probably want to move on from Wiggins anyway and that top pick could help them do that while getting a veteran player or two back. I would imagine they would target a two-way wing that can hit a corner three with defensive versatility--I think the Magic are an obvious possibility. Something like Gordon and Fournier for Wiggins and the 1st makes sense for both teams.

They only have another couple years for their championship window. They can't waste half a season trying to figure out a roster with Wiggins. However, in the possibility that they can move on from Wiggins without trading that top pick, I could definitely see they trading down for multiple other assets and young rotation guys. That's where the Cs could trade all their firsts for Golden State's top pick.

Re: Memphis Loses 3 Straight
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 05:44:55 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Hopefully Memphis is bumped from the playoffs and into the lottery #14th pick isn’t a huge difference in the available talent but might land the Cs a better fit. Could mean drafting Hampton or P Williams rather the. Neismith or S Bey.

Best case Memphis falls to lottery and jumps into the pick protection. Next years draft is a lot stronger and takes some roster pressure off the Cs have 2 firsts rather then 3.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Just saw Jaren Jackson JR is out for the season with a tear in his knee.  Feel terrible for him.  The Grizzlies could seriously lose the rest of their games.  They have a really tough schedule left.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just saw Jaren Jackson JR is out for the season with a tear in his knee.  Feel terrible for him.  The Grizzlies could seriously lose the rest of their games.  They have a really tough schedule left.
Sucks big time. Hope he rests up for next season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 07:51:56 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sucks big time. Hope he rests up for next season

Man this is terrible, I'm rooting against the Grizz but not like this.

They have like no shooting now, for most of the season they had Crowder but traded him for a guy who is out now. Now without JJJ its sparse shooting wise.

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 09:06:29 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Hope Jaren Jackson have a speedy recovery. Seems like a great guy.

But hopefully, Portland sneaks in as the 8 seed. They are the only good team in the West that can upset the Lakers as many here pointed out.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 09:15:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Too bad about the Grizz...they were a fun team to watch before the shutdown.  Definitely lost their mojo.

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hope Jaren Jackson have a speedy recovery. Seems like a great guy.

But hopefully, Portland sneaks in as the 8 seed. They are the only good team in the West that can upset the Lakers as many here pointed out.

I don't care who knocks the Griz out, I just want them out for the 14th pick.  I don't think any of those teams can beat the Lakers, including the Blazers.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 01:52:21 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I posted about this on another thread.  If they miss playoffs, our pick goes from 17/16/15 to 14. 

We could then try to package our 14th pick with our 26/30 pick for a top 5 guy that mysteriously drops a few slots.

So even if we ended up with the 14th pick, packaging with 26/30 gets you to what, 12?

In normal year, it would probably get you up to top 10. I just don't know about this year. With the drop in revenue, there may be more sellers than buyers of first round picks. Someone else can weigh in on what the cost is to trade up.

The closest comp in the past few years is probably draft night 2017 when Blazers traded picks 15 and 20 to Sacramento to get pick 10.  The Celtics offer will likely be a little weaker than 15 + 20.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Hopefully Memphis is bumped from the playoffs and into the lottery #14th pick isn’t a huge difference in the available talent but might land the Cs a better fit. Could mean drafting Hampton or P Williams rather the. Neismith or S Bey.

Best case Memphis falls to lottery and jumps into the pick protection. Next years draft is a lot stronger and takes some roster pressure off the Cs have 2 firsts rather then 3.
I think there is a tier that ends after the top 12. So 14 wouldn't get us into that tier, but it would just move us closer to getting a player that slipped. I do think the difference for 14 to 17 matters a little because the Celtics can get their choice of players in that tier with 14.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 12:08:33 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

into the top 8 easily

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The more they lose the better, I have a feeling they will be better next year than this year so I think we have a better shot at the lottery this year than next. I hope they lose every single game between now and the end of the season  :police:
It's not a matter of whether they'll be better as much as it's a matter will 8 other teams in the West be better than them.  I think it's a definite yes on that.  Barring injury, these should be better teams than Memphis:
Lakers, Clips, Denver, Houston, Dallas, Portland, NO, GSW --> that's 8 pretty easy calls right there.  Granted Portland and NO are behind Memphis this year (at the moment) but the injury bug has not been kind to them.

Add in Utah and OKC who are better this year and probably better than Memphis next year.  That could put Memphis as the 11th team in that conference.  (let's not overlook SAS either -- I wouldn't underestimate what Pop can do with a team - particularly if they move Derozan for a more efficient player.  Phx may be ready to make a move with Booker locked up, Ayton improving and a seemingly better approach to evaluating talent the past year or two.)  They could still end up with a better record than the 9th team in the east which would end up giving us the 12th pick next draft but considering they'll be playing most of their games against a tougher Western conference, they could wind up with a worse record than expected, particularly if Morant misses any time.

The only way the pick wouldn’t convey is if Memphis’ pick falls into the top-6.  In that case, they might be adding another young talent that adds to their team.

Plus, it’s impossible to predict these things.  Did anybody expect Memphis to be this good?  Or Sacramento to be last year?
Not be a wise a$$ but that's impossible. They can still get into the top 4 (not five, not six, ... :) ) and save their pick by losing the play-in game. I doubt, looking at other teams schedules, they'll fall out of the top 9 so there's still a chance they fall to 14 and the lottery with a chance for a top 4 pick.
Huh?
The lottery picks the top 4 teams only and the rest fall in order of record so if the Grizz don't land a top 4 pick they get the 14 (or whatever) slot. They can't get the 5th or 6th pick is what I was saying, only a top 4 or wherever they end up.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Looking at upcoming schedules MEM is really hard. They have UTA, OKC, BOS, TOR, MIL. Without JJJ 0-5 is possible, although by the end of that run TOR and MIL might be resting guys.

NOP meanwhile has a cake schedule. SAC, WAS, SAS, SAC, ORL. Everyone of those in winnable, and who knows ORL may be locked in by the last game and resting guys.

Of course NOP would need to beat MEM out by 3 games to finish ahead of them, otherwise some team would need to beat MEM twice in a row to take that spot during the play in. So if MEM went 1-4 the rest of the way NOP would need to go 4-1.

NOP probably has the best chance of taking the eight seed outright since POR, SAS, PHO schedules are all tough. Although POR only needs to be 2 games better than the MEM to overtake them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:43:59 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Looking at upcoming schedules MEM is really hard. They have UTA, OKC, BOS, TOR, MIL. Without JJJ 0-5 is possible, although by the end of that run TOR and MIL might be resting guys.

NOP meanwhile has a cake schedule. SAC, WAS, SAS, SAC, ORL. Everyone of those in winnable, and who knows ORL may be locked in by the last game and resting guys.

Of course NOP would need to beat MEM out by 3 games to finish ahead of them, otherwise some team would need to beat MEM twice in a row to take that spot during the play in. So if MEM went 1-4 the rest of the way NOP would need to go 4-1.

NOP probably has the best chance of taking the eight seed outright since POR, SAS, PHO schedules are all tough. Although POR only needs to be 2 games better than the MEM to overtake them.

I’m shocked that based on strength of schedule the Pelicans have the best chance to sneak into the playoffs.  What a strange coincidence things worked out like that.
Greg

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Good article by Tom Westerholm in MassLive:

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/08/boston-celtics-2020-draft-pick-courtesy-of-memphis-grizzlies-is-in-position-to-rise-tom-westerholm.html

I did not realize that Memphis pick could actually slide down to 12, which would be awesome.  He makes the same point I made in that trading down from 12 to 8 is possible, where who knows maybe Wiseman slips.  Most of the Delete 8 don't have the same need as the Celtics do for a center.