Author Topic: Ojeleye vs Tatum  (Read 4012 times)

Ojeleye vs Tatum
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
There is a small chance that Semi ends up becoming a better player down the road

Would you be surprised?

Re: Ojeleye vs Tatum
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
There is a small chance that Semi ends up becoming a better player down the road

Would you be surprised?

Um, yes, I would be incredibly surprised. I would say the chance is significantly less than 1%.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Would you be surprised?

Yes, very.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Semi's 3-point shot is wet (especially at the top of the key), but offensively Tatum is just so much more versatile. Semi went 4-7 from 3 last night, but some of his in close misses were ugly.

I'll peg Semi into that 3&D category, which is pretty good considering where he was drafted.

Tatum's versatility, along with the ability to make his own shot, should put him a cut above Semi in the long run. Keep in mind that Semi will be turning 23 in December, while Tatum won't turn 20 until March of next year.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Would you be surprised?

I would not be surprised if Ojeleye becomes a star - I would also be surprised if Tatum does not become a star.

The whole game of "who's the better player" is hard enough after the careers are long finished.

What if Tatum rockets up the totem pole and plays in the All-Star game in year 3? - and then messes up those (slightly fragile-looking) legs, ending his career? History is not too kind to those guys.

Love both of these guys, they can play together, both of them can guard up and guard down, both of them can shoot with range. They both have an outstanding feel for the game.  Here's a clue: Ojeleye had the highest efficiency as the pop man in pick and pop in the NCAA. He's got quick twitch, great reflexes - like Jaylen Brown.

I've seen some odd criticisms of Semi recently - that he lacks a motor (!)... that he's a stiff (!!)... No need to comment, I guess.

Great for him that he showed his outside shooting in Game 3 (and what a beautiful stroke!) - he'll probably have to spend plenty of time on the bench (winter's coming). If you're a sportswriter, you point out that that's his story: Completely unrecognized at Duke, he took his work ethic in hand, and dedicated himself. We see him deferential in both SL and pre-season, but it's worth noting that he was the man at SMU - could it be that he has star power, that he has the mentality that gets you there?  (I'm beginning to think so.)

Tatum, on the other hand, definitely wants the last shot. No question about his star power.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd be wildly surprised if Semi were better long-term. I'd be completely unsurprised if Semi were better this season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:59 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It'd call into question the validity of current statistical/regression models.  So not likely, but maybe good for science.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Would you be surprised?

Absolutely not but Semi showed well yesterday.  His D is absolutely legit.  He moves his feet so well for a big guy.  He can guard a lot of different positions which will earn him time throughout the year.  His shot looks smooth and over the next 2 years it will only get better.  I still fee he has a higher potential ceiling talent wise then Crowder minus the leadership.  That is something he will hopefully learn and become.  Crowder is a natural leader and has more heart/drive then most.  Talent wise I think Semi will be every bit as good a defender and a better shooter then Crowder eventually. 

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 11:11:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some good pts.

Currently two things Semi does better than Tatum. Defense and 3 pt shooting.  I would say passing/quick decisions as well.  At this rate , could end up becoming a better Jae Crowder. A better vertical leaping version.

Tatum has high level potential. But at times his defense reminds me of James Young more than I'd like. A little lost and does not have the explosiveness to bail him out. Also 3 pt shooting is shaky at the moment. Im hopefully he can iron out these deficiencies....

No doubt he commands more attention due to his skill level. But if little to no improvements are made, who does CBS resort to in a close game? (Hypothetically)

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tatum has to work on his d and he needs to get more comfortable out there. Semi looks like a good 12 man right now and should see light minutes here. Tatum may need a month of G-league

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
wouldn't surprise me.   haven't really seen anything from Tatum to justify the love here.   looks like a good pro.  not sure he'll be a franchise guy.  semi  could also be a good pro.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i don't think so yet, I think Semi is fine the way he is right now, a 3rd unit player, whereas Tatum feels like to me he's already first off the bench for Hayward or something. Tatum looks more smooth and looks ready whereas Semi to me seems like a high motor player (which i love) and still really stiff on certain plays.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Reminder: Semi is three years older than JT. Has had more time to grow into his body, learn defensive schemes.

Do you think Semi today is better than 3-years-from-now Jayson Tatum?

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Would be astounded if Ojeleye turns out better than Tatum. Tatum has Pierce ceiling. Ojeleye has Crowder ceiling.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
.o5% chance -

One guys looks 23 and Physically topped out.. The other looks 19 with tons of room to grow.. 

Tatum has way more tools in his Tool box..  He's still a kid.