Author Topic: Ojeleye vs Tatum  (Read 4009 times)

Re: Ojeleye vs Tatum
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Semi's 3-point shot is wet (especially at the top of the key), but offensively Tatum is just so much more versatile. Semi went 4-7 from 3 last night, but some of his in close misses were ugly.

I'll peg Semi into that 3&D category, which is pretty good considering where he was drafted.

Tatum's versatility, along with the ability to make his own shot, should put him a cut above Semi in the long run. Keep in mind that Semi will be turning 23 in December, while Tatum won't turn 20 until March of next year.

"Wet" as in bad, or bad as in good.

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 12:25:50 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I thought this topic was going to be about that play where they collided both trying to catch that lob pass for the alley-oop last night.  :laugh:

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Semi's 3-point shot is wet (especially at the top of the key), but offensively Tatum is just so much more versatile. Semi went 4-7 from 3 last night, but some of his in close misses were ugly.

I'll peg Semi into that 3&D category, which is pretty good considering where he was drafted.

Tatum's versatility, along with the ability to make his own shot, should put him a cut above Semi in the long run. Keep in mind that Semi will be turning 23 in December, while Tatum won't turn 20 until March of next year.

Lol wet as in good/pure etc. We used to say "Water" growing up if a shot was nothing but net, so as we got older we just said "wet".

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If Semi is better than Tatum, it means Tatum has massively underachieved.

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

People on this board dramatically overrate Semi. I expect him to get very little playing time this  year, certainly much less than Tatum. He hasn't looked at all NBA ready me, he can hit the open 3, but you won't be as open as he was against Philly very often. I also don't think his defense is nearly as good as some here claim. I expect that he will get garbage time only and maybe see lots of time in Maine.

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Some good pts.

Currently two things Semi does better than Tatum. Defense and 3 pt shooting.  I would say passing/quick decisions as well.  At this rate , could end up becoming a better Jae Crowder. A better vertical leaping version.

Tatum has high level potential. But at times his defense reminds me of James Young more than I'd like. A little lost and does not have the explosiveness to bail him out. Also 3 pt shooting is shaky at the moment. Im hopefully he can iron out these deficiencies....

No doubt he commands more attention due to his skill level. But if little to no improvements are made, who does CBS resort to in a close game? (Hypothetically)

Not that Brad Stevens knows what he is talking about, but he did have this to say about Tatum's defense:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/10/10/morning-sports-update-jayson-tatums-defense-is-beyond-his-years-according-to-brad-stevens

“I don’t know if surprised is the right word, but Jayson Tatum’s defense is beyond his years,” Stevens said, via Mass Live’s Jay King. “He’s very savvy and very long. He uses his length. His arms are out and he gets his hands on balls and deflects passes and discourages drives just because of his length. I think he’ll continue to get better and better with the other stuff systemically, but he’s done a good job for a young guy so far.”

Semi may have the edge right now (on D, only) due to his experience, but I don't think there is really any question here.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

People on this board dramatically overrate Semi. I expect him to get very little playing time this  year, certainly much less than Tatum. He hasn't looked at all NBA ready me, he can hit the open 3, but you won't be as open as he was against Philly very often. I also don't think his defense is nearly as good as some here claim. I expect that he will get garbage time only and maybe see lots of time in Maine.

Disagree

Yes he will be open...bc who is going to focus on him when you have Irving, Hayward etc on the floor

In turn if teams cant leave Semi alone, it provides more space for everyone else

His 3 pt shooting (from furthest pt of the court) is legit

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really don't think there's much chance of that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Disagree

Yes he will be open...bc who is going to focus on him when you have Irving, Hayward etc on the floor

In turn if teams cant leave Semi alone, it provides more space for everyone else

Wow! Semi is now hitting full court shots? What a find by Ainge!

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 11:49:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Lol wet as in good/pure etc. We used to say "Water" growing up if a shot was nothing but net, so as we got older we just said "wet".

And here I was thinking that it was some kind of euphemism.

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 12:46:49 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would be well beyond shocked :)

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 01:07:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd be more than shocked
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:26 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Yes, it would be surprising if the 37th pick turned out better than the 3rd pick. We can trot out examples of 2nd rounders who became all stars and top picks that were busts but there's no debating that that doesn't typically happen.

I haven't seen anything from Semi that makes me think he'll be better than Jayson. Put whatever stock you like in preseason stats but the numbers don't back that up either.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Disagree

Semi should consider himself fortunate if he sees the court in half the team's games and if more than 5 of those appearances aren't in garbage time or due to injuries to better players.

After 4 preseason games Tatum already looks much better than Semi and figures to continue to widen the gap between them talent-wise. 

Is Semi your new Mickey Triboy?

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Disagree

Semi should consider himself fortunate if he sees the court in half the team's games and if more than 5 of those appearances aren't in garbage time or due to injuries to better players.

After 4 preseason games Tatum already looks much better than Semi and figures to continue to widen the gap between them talent-wise. 

Is Semi your new Mickey Triboy?

That's a good question. Triboy, who's better Mickey or Semi?