Author Topic: The apparent plan for the DPE  (Read 7374 times)

Re: The apparent plan for the DPE
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I was under the impression that the DPE was for this season only - meaning even if the Cs use the full $8.4M allotted to them this year, that contract would fully come off the books this offseason and they would be left with only the MLE and Vet Min options.

Is it possible that what 'they' meant was that Cs will give a player the full $8.4M DPE this year (massively overpaying them compared to other teams) and then sign them for the minimum next year by 'combining' those contracts to give a solid Aron Baynes-like contract for two years?

This wouldn't necessarily net them a top-level starter (just over $5M/yr - not including what said player is making this year in salary/buyout), but he would need to make the full MLE from another team next year to make it worth it and he would also get their money up front. For the Cs - they save a LOT of money next year when they are going to likely be tax payers.

If I am wrong about how the DPE works, I apologize in advance. Thanks for the inside info about how the Cs are looking to use it! Ainge is certainly always pushing for an angle   :)

A DPE can only be signed for $8.4 million this year.  Then he’s a free agent.

However, when he’s a free agent, he can be signed to a deal using non-Bird rights for 120% of $8.4 million, or about $10.1 million.  This is a larger deal than the MLE next year, so in essence it gives the Celtics a $10.1 salary slot next season.  This $10.1 million could also be used in a sign-and-trade to bring back even more salary.

I frankly doubt such a situation is the primary goal of the Celtics.  Giving someone $8.4 million might keep that option open, but ultimately I don’t think the team has room for another large contract next season, and I don’t see Anthony Davis being traded.

Thanks for the correction 120% not the 110% I thought.

I have to disagree with your thought that you " doubt such a situation is the primary goal of the Celtics". Every media outlet that I have heard speak on this matter has said the exact opposite. That DA has little interest in just adding a player to make the push this year and that the goal is to set the team up for next season.

As for others commenting on the legality or chances of a handshake deal I am confident an agent is going to want to make this work. We are talking about players who will be bought out, guys who are not top level FAs. A player like Monroe may not have many options to get a pay day of this size and his agent wont want to pass on it.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TPs to the OP, SL, and Roy for the correction. It would seem to majorly benefit us if we do use the full $8.4M but thy seems like a rule that should be changed. The DPE is meant to help out a team for the one season they are without their injured player; being able to keep that player at an even higher salary next year would go against the spirit of the rule.

In the OPs situation, I just don’t know who would be worth that amount in a buy-out (~$19M for a year and a month) - that is why I brought up using the minimum on that player next year as ~$10M on a player over that time frame could still benefit a lot of players while allowing the Cs to save a lot of money next season.

I guess the best thing for all of us is to stay tuned. You know DA will do everything he can to take advantage of this thing.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 12:29:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Are we sure it doesn’t prorate? It’s value is tied to the Non-Taxpayer MLE, which does pro-rate after January 10.

Also, the chances of the Celts and a free agent agreeing to a “handshake” deal are pretty slim, just due to the penalties if we got caught.

The basic concept is fine, but I think that resigning the DPE player is more of a hope than a concrete plan.

Yeah, a hand shake deal is not going to happen. The point is this: the player gets a windfall this season, and knows that he can also re-sign (assuming the Celtics agree to re-sign him) for up to 120% of the DPE.  "Handshake" means a verbal agreement before he becomes a free agent, and that would be foolish.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just out of curiosity, if the injured player, in our case Gordon Hayward, managed to come back to and play this season, does the DPE remain (if left unused by then)?

If Hayward comes back before the DPE is used, it’s gone.  But the DPE expires March 10th, which is before even the most optimistic return timetable for Hayward, so in our case, it’s moot.

Cool, thanks.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm hoping that we can snag Nerlens Noel with the DPE. It doesn't look like he's staying in Dallas long-term, and maybe they want to move him for something. It's surprising to me that he isn't being more vocal about his lack of a role there. It's killing any chance he has at a decent contract in 2018-19.

I think he could grow in to a very good backup center under Stevens. He could potentially replace Baynes' minutes, which is something we'll need as most expect Baynes to get paid somewhere else next year.

He's the kind of player I'd be willing to to a flier on. Being homegrown doesn't hurt either.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm hoping that we can snag Nerlens Noel with the DPE. It doesn't look like he's staying in Dallas long-term, and maybe they want to move him for something. It's surprising to me that he isn't being more vocal about his lack of a role there. It's killing any chance he has at a decent contract in 2018-19.

I think he could grow in to a very good backup center under Stevens. He could potentially replace Baynes' minutes, which is something we'll need as most expect Baynes to get paid somewhere else next year.

He's the kind of player I'd be willing to to a flier on. Being homegrown doesn't hurt either.

Noel would almost certainly leave in free agency. The most we could offer him next year would be the MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I will be shocked if the DPE is used in a trade. Unless Noel is bought out I do not think he will be coming to Boston.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Noel would almost certainly leave in free agency. The most we could offer him next year would be the MLE.

Isn't this thread claiming the exact opposite? That we can pay him a full $8.4M this year, and a 20% raise next year?

That would mean he's getting an EXTRA $6M in salary right away, a $10M+ contract next year, and plays for him home town team. Why would he leave unless some other team is coughing up $15M/ year for a guy that's been riding the bench in Dallas?

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 04:00:22 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I will be shocked if the DPE is used in a trade. Unless Noel is bought out I do not think he will be coming to Boston.

They could buy him out for $1 if Boston is going to pay him $8.4M for half a season or less. If Dallas is ready to move on, that's not such a bad option. If he's traded, Noel makes a lot less money and is more likely to leave Boston, which hurts his trade value...

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
In English, the Celtics would be fools not to use this exemption. Its free money for a free rental. who cares if the player walks after the season.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
In English, the Celtics would be fools not to use this exemption. Its free money for a free rental. who cares if the player walks after the season.

Well, it’s not “free” money. Wyc still needs to cut an $8 million check.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Monroe is bad mojoe for GS s Green ......we could really use him in playoffs to sweep the boards .

He might be just what the doctor. " CBS" needs to finish off Cleveland and GS.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

I agree with Byennie.  If we give him the full 8.4 million for the rest of the year and then a 120% raise to 10.08 million next for a guy that is currently averaging ONLY 4.0 points and 4.1 rebounds in ONLY 12.5 minutes!!  I would think that he might be ECSTATIC to get those dollars for those numbers!!  And get to come HOME!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I agree with Byennie.  If we give him the full 8.4 million for the rest of the year and then a 120% raise to 10.08 million next for a guy that is currently averaging ONLY 4.0 points and 4.1 rebounds in ONLY 12.5 minutes!!  I would think that he might be ECSTATIC to get those dollars for those numbers!!  And get to come HOME!!!

Smitty77

He hasn’t been bought out, though, and probably would prefer a team to retain his Bird rights.  He turned down 4 years, $70 million. His goal is going to be either to get paid or to re-establish his value with heavy minutes. Boston isn’t a team with a lot of financial flexibility or playing time.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I think we will get either Chandler or Monroe using the DPE, and it will depend on WHO Phoenix buys out (likely Monroe).

I prefer Lou Williams or Tyreke Evans, but I don't think they are happening, with Lou Williams (along with DeAndre Jordan) staying put in LAC while they make a playoff push, and with Tyreke Evans, I'm not sure the C's have the pieces necessary to pull it off, and NO, trading Smart for him or a 2019 Memphis or Clippers pick would not be wise either. But we don't have any 2nd rounders to use. Maybe the 2018 Boston's Own First Rounder?

Either way, I'd be happy with Monroe too. I think under CBS, and with more minutes (which he isn't in PHO), he could be a solid bench player and provide a bit of a scoring spark as well. He's not the best rebounder, but to average 10 points and 7 rebounds in about 22 minutes/game is solid.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller