Author Topic: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team  (Read 12712 times)

Re: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2019, 08:07:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
By the way Jaylen, you are welcome for the upcoming UPS endorsement deal.

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This is such a common misconcepton that today's players are that much stronger and more athletic. Are they also that much stronger and more athletic then teams of the 90's too? I wouldn't try telling MJ or Pippen or for that matter Rodman that players today are much more athletic then they were 20, 30, or even 40 years ago. I sure wouldnt have tried telling that to Chamberlain either.

The fact is, you can't compare one era's style to another and rule in favor of either team based on era either. Does anyone really think that if Bird had gone into today's league that he wouldnt hit the three point shot a whole lot more then he did? What would that do for the rest of his game? Would Walton not be able to play in today's league? Lol, what a joke that idea is?

Sure, certain superstars have what it takes to dominate and play in today's league. But look at who they played with in older videos. Half those guys wouldnt qualify for the Hornets.

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This is such a common misconcepton that today's players are that much stronger and more athletic. Are they also that much stronger and more athletic then teams of the 90's too? I wouldn't try telling MJ or Pippen or for that matter Rodman that players today are much more athletic then they were 20, 30, or even 40 years ago. I sure wouldnt have tried telling that to Chamberlain either.

The fact is, you can't compare one era's style to another and rule in favor of either team based on era either. Does anyone really think that if Bird had gone into today's league that he wouldnt hit the three point shot a whole lot more then he did? What would that do for the rest of his game? Would Walton not be able to play in today's league? Lol, what a joke that idea is?

Sure, certain superstars have what it takes to dominate and play in today's league. But look at who they played with in older videos. Half those guys wouldnt qualify for the Hornets.
I feel like it's pretty weird to judge all players of that age by modern standards. Give those guys back the the upbringing, teaching, training and nutrition of modern players and who knows what the result would be
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2019, 02:11:36 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

I feel like it's pretty weird to judge all players of that age by modern standards. Give those guys back the the upbringing, teaching, training and nutrition of modern players and who knows what the result would be

Sure. But we are talking about what they were back then. Not what they couldve been with today's technology. I also believe that part of the reason the talent (league-wise, not talking about the cream) was worse was because the pool wasn't as big. There are far fewer people interested in Basketball as a profession then, and the earth's population was smaller as well. The chances of getting 12 good players is better now than before due to this.

Again, this is not discounting some of those who were really top notch.

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Those dream team guys in their prime would wipe the floor with the dream team today and they might do even better since one can't hand check and grab jerseys.

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2019, 08:36:51 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Only question is which rules were played under.  I think either team with 2 year to prepare would do fine, but I think 86 team could adjust to today better than today could adjust to 86.  The pounding of 86 would really throw off today's teams.  Today's teams have learned to be quicker.  Past teams were stronger and faster.  Post game alone would be untouchable.

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Those dream team guys in their prime would wipe the floor with the dream team today and they might do even better since one can't hand check and grab jerseys.
I'm not so sure that is true (at least assuming guys like Durant are healthy).  I think the older generation would have a lot more difficulty guarding the newer generation than the other way around.  Kawhi, for example, would do fine guarding Jordan, but I don't know who is guarding someone like Giannis going the other way.  I mean I just don't think Malone or Barkley could actually guard Giannis. 

So if you take the original 12 (I'll add Thomas instead of Laettner)

PG - Magic, Stockton, Thomas
SG - Jordan, Drexler
SF - Bird, Pippen, Mullin
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

PG - Curry, Westbrook, Lillard
SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George
C - Davis, Embiid, Gobert

I don't see a floor wiping either way.  It would be an interesting match-up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Did you even read my post properly?

I am not talking about the cream of the crop. I am talking about the average NBA player.

Watch those old Russell vids. Russell looks really good, same with Cooz. But a lot of the guys they played with and against have slow release, lack of range, mobility etc.

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2019, 12:37:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'm not so sure that is true (at least assuming guys like Durant are healthy).  I think the older generation would have a lot more difficulty guarding the newer generation than the other way around.  Kawhi, for example, would do fine guarding Jordan, but I don't know who is guarding someone like Giannis going the other way.  I mean I just don't think Malone or Barkley could actually guard Giannis. 

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

I agree that it would be an interesting matchup but I'd give the edge to the original Dream Team.
- PG:  We're talking Magic here.  best PG ever IMHO.  This is also during the time when he added 3-pt shooting to his arsenal.  none of the current team would be able to defend him due to his height and his well-versed post game.  Stockton and Thomas were very good shooters and defenders so not a weak link there.  Current team has great shooters in Curry and Lillard and a triple-double threat in Westbrook but I don't see them able to overcome Magic's talents.
- SG.  Leonard's great but Harden is strictly offense.  Jordan and Drexler are 2-way studs.  Give the edge to the older Dreamers because, well, it's Jordan and Drexler.
- SF: Toughest call for me.  Bird is was at the end of his career due to injuries so he's not mid-80's Bird.  Pippin has the defensive skills to give Bron fits on O.  Durant would be a tough cover for anyone on the old team.  Mullin as good as he was wasn’t in same league as any of these guys.  Give the edge to the new team.
- PF: another tough call.  Malone and Barkley would just beat on Giannis and George physically and wear them down.  Giannis and George should be faster than either Malone and Barkley in a fast break game but if the game slows down, I think Malone and Barkley could hold their own in half court D.  This is where the era of rules would have the biggest impact as to which players would be better.  Old rules (no traveling/Euro-step, palming, more consistent offensive fouling, etc…) I think it really favors Malone and Barkley since the looser rules of today really help Giannis and George have the impacts that they have today.  Call this one a wash pending which rules apply.
- C: Robinson and Ewing aren’t the most gifted offensive centers we’ve had but very good defensively.  Davis and Embiid would be tough to defend but I think Robinson and Ewing could hold their own defending them, even on the perimeter — especially Robinson.   Due to them not being great offensive centers, I think the new group could certainly hold their own on D.  I’d call this one a wash.

Overall, I’d give the advantage to the old team.  if we were able to put prime Bird and Magic on the older roster, THAT would really be a game to see because then I would expect the old team to win handily. 

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2019, 01:29:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

I agree that it would be an interesting matchup but I'd give the edge to the original Dream Team.
- PG:  We're talking Magic here.  best PG ever IMHO.  This is also during the time when he added 3-pt shooting to his arsenal.  none of the current team would be able to defend him due to his height and his well-versed post game.  Stockton and Thomas were very good shooters and defenders so not a weak link there.  Current team has great shooters in Curry and Lillard and a triple-double threat in Westbrook but I don't see them able to overcome Magic's talents.
- SG.  Leonard's great but Harden is strictly offense.  Jordan and Drexler are 2-way studs.  Give the edge to the older Dreamers because, well, it's Jordan and Drexler.
- SF: Toughest call for me.  Bird is was at the end of his career due to injuries so he's not mid-80's Bird.  Pippin has the defensive skills to give Bron fits on O.  Durant would be a tough cover for anyone on the old team.  Mullin as good as he was wasn’t in same league as any of these guys.  Give the edge to the new team.
- PF: another tough call.  Malone and Barkley would just beat on Giannis and George physically and wear them down.  Giannis and George should be faster than either Malone and Barkley in a fast break game but if the game slows down, I think Malone and Barkley could hold their own in half court D.  This is where the era of rules would have the biggest impact as to which players would be better.  Old rules (no traveling/Euro-step, palming, more consistent offensive fouling, etc…) I think it really favors Malone and Barkley since the looser rules of today really help Giannis and George have the impacts that they have today.  Call this one a wash pending which rules apply.
- C: Robinson and Ewing aren’t the most gifted offensive centers we’ve had but very good defensively.  Davis and Embiid would be tough to defend but I think Robinson and Ewing could hold their own defending them, even on the perimeter — especially Robinson.   Due to them not being great offensive centers, I think the new group could certainly hold their own on D.  I’d call this one a wash.

Overall, I’d give the advantage to the old team.  if we were able to put prime Bird and Magic on the older roster, THAT would really be a game to see because then I would expect the old team to win handily.
you start putting people in their primes, it also affects players like Lebron though as well (you know when Lebron actually played defense consistently).  Miami Heat Lebron was a lot better than the current version.  You'd probably also have Chris Paul instead of Lillard and potentially other roster changes to the new team, while I don't think much would change on the Dream Team (just different years for some of those guys). 

Obviously the rules would matter.  Under current rules there is no way the old team wins.  They won't be able to defend the modern team well at all, as they were used to physical defense and not the speed of the modern game.  I just can't see how Magic could defend Curry under modern rules (he'd struggle under the older rules as well, but would be able to use his size a lot more effectively).  Frankly, I think even Jordan would struggle to guard Harden as Jordan often struggled to defend smaller ball handlers (like Payton).  You put someone with Jordan's size, but PG ball handling skills, with incredible 3 point range, and it would just be a whole other animal for Jordan to defend Harden (obviously Harden couldn't defend Jordan under any rule system, but 3 is bigger than 2 so I'd expect the modern team to win based on the long range bomb). 

Now the older rules would hamper the modern team a great deal, and I expect the older players to win in that rule setting, but there are still several guys that would work under the old rules.  I think Giannis, Lebron, Westbrook, and Harden in particular would thrive in the 80's style of rules (both offensively and defensively).  Curry, Lillard, and Durant would still be able to get their shots off as well (though obviously the more physical you are with Curry, the worse he becomes). 

I just think it would be an interesting match-up all the way around. 

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2019, 01:52:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just can't see how Magic could defend Curry under modern rules

Nor could Curry defend Magic. I think Magic would create more of a mismatch.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

If Giannis and Gobert get to be on the modern Dream Team shouldn't Olajuwon get to be on the original roster? Because he's who I'd put on Giannis.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:08:54 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

If Giannis and Gobert get to be on the modern Dream Team shouldn't Olajuwon get to be on the original roster? Because he's who I'd put on Giannis.
good point.  I was sticking to the original Dream team which should have been applied to the same 'new' team which would rule out Giannis, Embiid and Gobert from any American Dream Team.  that would really move the needle as to which team is better in favor of the old Dream Team

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

you start putting people in their primes, it also affects players like Lebron though as well (you know when Lebron actually played defense consistently).  Miami Heat Lebron was a lot better than the current version.  You'd probably also have Chris Paul instead of Lillard and potentially other roster changes to the new team, while I don't think much would change on the Dream Team (just different years for some of those guys). 

Obviously the rules would matter.  Under current rules there is no way the old team wins.  They won't be able to defend the modern team well at all, as they were used to physical defense and not the speed of the modern game.  I just can't see how Magic could defend Curry under modern rules (he'd struggle under the older rules as well, but would be able to use his size a lot more effectively).  Frankly, I think even Jordan would struggle to guard Harden as Jordan often struggled to defend smaller ball handlers (like Payton).  You put someone with Jordan's size, but PG ball handling skills, with incredible 3 point range, and it would just be a whole other animal for Jordan to defend Harden (obviously Harden couldn't defend Jordan under any rule system, but 3 is bigger than 2 so I'd expect the modern team to win based on the long range bomb). 

Now the older rules would hamper the modern team a great deal, and I expect the older players to win in that rule setting, but there are still several guys that would work under the old rules.  I think Giannis, Lebron, Westbrook, and Harden in particular would thrive in the 80's style of rules (both offensively and defensively).  Curry, Lillard, and Durant would still be able to get their shots off as well (though obviously the more physical you are with Curry, the worse he becomes). 

I just think it would be an interesting match-up all the way around. 
There's a much bigger difference from prime Bird to '92 Bird than there is between prime Bron and current Bron. 

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2019, 04:41:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

good point.  I was sticking to the original Dream team which should have been applied to the same 'new' team which would rule out Giannis, Embiid and Gobert from any American Dream Team.  that would really move the needle as to which team is better in favor of the old Dream Team
Hakeem in 91-92 was not better than Robinson or Ewing.  He wasn't on any All NBA Team and played only 69 games (and just 50 the year before).  His stats were much lower overall and he was not the same player for much of that year (only at the end did Hakeem start to turn the corner again).  That year Robinson was 1st Team, Ewing was 2nd, and Daughtery was 3rd.  Robinson and Ewing were the 1st and 2nd Team Defenders.  Robinson finished 3rd in MVP voting, Ewing was 5th, Daugherty was 11th, and Hakeem didn't receive a single vote.  Robinson was the DPOY.  Hakeem did get 1 vote for that tying him with Malone and Buck Williams for 6th (and last).  I just don't think Hakeem makes the original Dream Team roster if it was open to him as he just wasn't as good the season leading into the Olympics as either Robinson or Ewing (closer to Ewing, but Ewing imo was still better). 

The following season Hakeem was back in peak form though (DPOY and 2nd in MVP), but leading into the 92 Olympics he was not.