Author Topic: Woj: Rockets decline Parson's options to go after a 3rd star (ex. Love)  (Read 15346 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd love to have Parsons here.   Good solid player.  Should be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens schemes.

I don't think Parsons would be coming here unless Rondo was going to Houston

I'm too emotionally invested in this Rondo/Melo/Love thing to resign myself to a team of Lin/Bradley/Parsons/Sullinger/Olynyk next season

yup i am too putting all my emotional stock in Rondo/Melo/Love.
I'd slow that down. Love is a very possible get, Melo not so much.

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I'd love to have Parsons here.   Good solid player.  Should be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens schemes.

I'm too emotionally invested in this Rondo/Melo/Love thing to resign myself to a team of Lin/Bradley/Parsons/Sullinger/Olynyk next season

TP!!!
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Agreed.

Quite honestly, it seems a bit cocky and arrogant some people feel we already have Love in the bag and Melo is likely coming right behind him. Along with Omer Asik definetly being traded to us too.

I get the offseason is for dreaming, but slow it down guys. Something about counting eggs and stuff.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Melo is unlikely, but a lot more likely with Love here.  I don't think he remains in NY when the smoke clears, which means it comes down to which of Houston, Chicago and Boston (assuming Love) he prefers, and which of those can make the most compelling offer to NY.  The  Lakers will be on the outside looking in, hoping that NY overplays its hand and demands too much for Melo, and convince him to sign in LA with cap space, and/or driving up Parsons price tag.

What I don't think will happen is Omer Asik coming along with Melo.  He's our consolation prize.

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Just wanna say if we don't get Melo, Parsons could be a serviceable SF. He's also proven to be pretty clutch. We'll need a Go to guy with Rondo, AB, Love and Asik

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
How does this effect us and our chances at Love?

It doesn't.  Small chance it affects our chances at Melo, but that largely depends how great you think our chances are to begin with.

Maybe I'm confused on all of this...wouldn't this allow Houston to deal Parsons as part of a Love deal? Find it curious that the story from Sean Deveney saying the Wolves want a "young star" as part of a deal, then this news comes out...

Also part of that story, however, was that Minny wants a top pick this year which Houston obviously doesn't have....

Head is spinning.

But Houston could have traded Parsons for Love beforehand. They would have had to send out a lot more than just him to even up the salaries, but they still could have done it.

Now, if they want to trade Parsons for Love, Parsons will have to agree to sign a deal with Minnesota via a sign and trade.

Maybe I am just simplifying it, but this is confirmation that Houston would actually deal Parsons...There's been speculation out there for a minute that Houston did not want to deal Parsons, b/c of his friendships with Harden & Howard...Going back to the Rondo-Houston possibility, there was word that Houston wasn't enamored with the idea of shipping Parsons out. I just see this as admission that they would deal Parsons to Minnesota or elsewhere for another "name".

Not sure what Parsons' thoughts are on Minny...Doesn't seem like the place you'd want to be, but is he only concerned with the pay day?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

My understanding is that RFA's have 'offer sheets', as soon as one is offered, that's the new cap hold.
As soon as Parson's signs an offer sheet that's the new cap hold.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

My understanding is that RFA's have 'offer sheets', as soon as one is offered, that's the new cap hold.
As soon as Parson's signs an offer sheet that's the new cap hold.
So that means that whatever free agent they are targeting needs to be signed as soon as the moratorium ends, otherwise another team could put in a big offer for Parson's and the Rockets wouldn't have enough cap space to sign a max free agent?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
declining the option really has nothing to do with acquiring the third star.  They just grouped them together in the article to make a more comprehensive article on Houston's off season. 

Houston declined the option so that Parsons would be a restricted free agent.  Had they picked up the option he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.  Houston just wanted matching rights on him to let the market set his price.  This is the same dilemma a lot of teams are going to have in the near future under the new salary cap rules.  Have the guy for the extra year for cheap but lose matching rights or keep the matching rights but have to pay him more sooner (if you match).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Is Parsons any good at the defensive end?
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You mean you didn't notice his amazing defense in the playoffs?  ::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

LOL

I didn't watch much of Western series because I'm in Europe and it was game time at 3-4 o'clock after midnight. :)

Ok then, I don't want to put up with a defensive liability unless he's top 10-20 players in the league... ;D
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

He's fine, nothing special though.

Which given Harden and Jones's issues means that Houston's defense is entirely reliant on Beverly and Howard.