Author Topic: LOL Clippers  (Read 12230 times)

Re: LOL Clippers
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am try to figure out which will be a bigger overreaction:

This game

or

If the Celtics win their opening game.

Do you mean here?  I think Laker fans will irrationally overrate their team after this game way more than Celtics fans will if we beat the Raptors.  Here it'd probably be a bit closer.

...honestly that's one of my favorite things about the win, the Laker fans are going to get their expectations much too high.

Here of course.

I mean why would I want to listen to the lunatic ravings of a Laker fan? 

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The entire season doesn't really mean anything unless they get to the ECF which indont see happening.

If they don't reach the ECF can we officially close the book on these guys being contenders? Or more excuses? Docs first year, bad back up bigs, blake and paul being "banged up" in playoffs (only players in playoffs playing with injury), tough conference, donald sterling or whatever.

Give me a break, these same people defending the clippers year after year would be KILLING their own Celtics team.

We were game 7 against the Heat in ecf and our fans were actually justifying how lucky we were, didn't deserve it, weren't that good.

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
First game or not, I think they're pretenders.  Just because of Paul's greatness in close games, I think they'll win 50 games but they have zero chance of beating OKC, Houston or San Antonio in the playoffs.
They were 3rd in ORTG and 7th in DRTG last year.

Are they worse this year?

Do you think they're better or the same?

Defensively I think they're unquestionably worse. But before that, they weren't quite as good on defense as their top ten ranking as they rated 17th in DTRG from the midpoint on and then struggled to defend a poor offensive Memphis team in the playoffs. From that defense, they lost two of their better defenders, one of whom in Bledsoe is one of the best defenders in the league. They have a bunch of perimeter sieves who can't contain dribble penetration, which was one of the things that killed them yesterday and only one big capable of protecting the rim. I don't see how they're going to slow down OKC, San Antonio or Houston at all.

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The entire season doesn't really mean anything unless they get to the ECF which indont see happening.

If they don't reach the ECF can we officially close the book on these guys being contenders? Or more excuses? Docs first year, bad back up bigs, blake and paul being "banged up" in playoffs (only players in playoffs playing with injury), tough conference, donald sterling or whatever.

Give me a break, these same people defending the clippers year after year would be KILLING their own Celtics team.

We were game 7 against the Heat in ecf and our fans were actually justifying how lucky we were, didn't deserve it, weren't that good.
I guarantee that the Clippers won't make the ECF. I am willing to put money on it with 20:1 odds.

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
What do we expect? Last night was a road game for the Clips and a home game for the Lakers.

Clearly, the banners were the difference.

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »

Offline celticpride17

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I live in so cal but i refuse to watch any laker games unless they play the celtics,any way doc is in for a rude awakeninig, los angeles is a laker town,even the the local news seemed to be mocking doc last night ,saying what happened doc? with a big smile on their face as if extremely happy the lakers had won.

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

I guarantee that the Clippers won't make the ECF. I am willing to put money on it with 20:1 odds.

;D probably meant it to be WCF..lol.

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2013, 01:49:09 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This new LA Clippers already has DOc River's identity.

Quitting.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Flop Rivers. Overrated coach. Clipper fans will soon know how some of the Celtics fans felt. Well, since he's not coaching with the Celtics, I guess I'm free to garbage talk him for reals now lol.

They were playing a team minus Kobe, Dwight, and World Peace. Oh well, Clippers ain't my team. I'll laugh if Brad Stevens get his first win before Doc  ;)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Flop Rivers. Overrated coach. Clipper fans will soon know how some of the Celtics fans felt. Well, since he's not coaching with the Celtics, I guess I'm free to garbage talk him for reals now lol.

They were playing a team minus Kobe, Dwight, and World Peace. Oh well, Clippers ain't my team. I'll laugh if Brad Stevens get his first win before Doc  ;)

Extremely overrated....That was obvious the first year he coached the Celtics...Defensively, it was hard to tell even then if the C's were tanking.

Amazing how great a coach you become when you get the best defensive mind in basketball for an assistant and the best defensive player in the NBA at the same time.

Good luck coaching divas Paul and Griffin, Glenn....lol.

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
One thing that's going to be big is that Doc went with essentially an 8 and 1/2 man rotation last night.  Last year's Clips played 11 guys at least 15 minutes a game and another 2 got 10 or more.  I'm not sure they've got the roster to do that anymore but I do know there's no way Doc is going to coach like that.  LAC is going to have to win games in a very different way under Doc.

Mike

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just 1 game.  I think Pau Gasol is going to be a lot better this year than some people think.  I was bummed I didn't get to draft him in my fantasy bball league. 

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Good Start Doc.
That guy simple ain't a good coach, much less a "great one".
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Pitino' s Celtics beat Jordan's Bulls in opening night too.  Don't read to deep into it.  As close to an enjoyable Lakers win as you'll find though.

You weren't actually rooting for the Lakers last night were you  ;)

I was sound asleep!

I should say it was as close as I've come to not being bothered by a lakers win!
Yup

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I am try to figure out which will be a bigger overreaction:

This game

or

If the Celtics win their opening game.

Do you mean here?  I think Laker fans will irrationally overrate their team after this game way more than Celtics fans will if we beat the Raptors.  Here it'd probably be a bit closer.

...honestly that's one of my favorite things about the win, the Laker fans are going to get their expectations much too high.

If "irrationally overrating their team" means we think we are better than 12th in the West, then I guess a lot of us will "overrate" this team - Whether you like it or not, take away the 4th quarter, and we looked just as good, if not better, than the Clippers for most of the game. We play better without Dwight and Artest. They were/are absolutely miserable on offense, and dragged us down - We can make our free throws now, we can run, we can defend on the perimeter with our quick wing players/guards. We have a solid bench this year (IMO, better than our starters).

I'm going to enjoy not having expectations this year, and watching some of the teams who have it (i.e. Houston, Clippers, etc.) fail. Your Celtics might suprrise some people, as well. We'll have to see.

Actually, to be truthful, I'm about much more worried about our starters than our bench. They just look like slugs. If they can perform, I'm pretty confident in this team.