Author Topic: IT asked danny to come back?  (Read 4113 times)

IT asked danny to come back?
« on: July 23, 2018, 08:15:33 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Isaiah Thomas reached out to Danny Ainge before ultimately signing with the Nuggets, per Woj: "If the opportunity is there, I would just like to let you know that I'd love to come back."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24169163/nba-conversation-isaiah-thomas

Re: IT asked danny to come back?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:29:51 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It's obvious that IT's appreciation for Boston never went away.  He will always be one of my favorites.   

People criticize IT for a lack of "self awareness" but I think he understands far more than what he projects in interviews.  Behind the bitter comments is a guy who just wants the opportunity to be paid on the merits of his per-injury contributions.       

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I was listening to the discussion on NBA radio and he did talk to Danny for 15-20 minutes about the possibility of coming back. They say that Danny said he would see what they could do after they deal with the Marcus Smart RFA contract. Before they completed the Marcus Smart deal IT signed with Denver which didn't allow Danny the opportunity.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:13:39 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I have to think Denver will be a better opportunity for IT. Hopefully he can return to even 80% (or more) of what he was and get a decent contract going forward.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I have to think Denver will be a better opportunity for IT. Hopefully he can return to even 80% (or more) of what he was and get a decent contract going forward.

Completely agree with this. He made no sense on next year's Celtics. We have three point guards on the roster now who have started or played heavy minutes into the conference finals (and in Kyrie's case, into the Finals).

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Completely agree with this. He made no sense on next year's Celtics. We have three point guards on the roster now who have started or played heavy minutes into the conference finals (and in Kyrie's case, into the Finals).

Same here.  It's going to be fun to root for Denver next season.  It wouldn't surprise me to see IT and Jokic develop awesome chemistry together.  Jokic's offensive versatility is a great fit with a healthy IT.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

And a healthy IT took the Celtics to the ECF as the best player and surrounded by far less talent. I like Terry Rozier, but I feel like we are overrating him. IT would have been a good scoring option off the bench.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It's obvious that IT's appreciation for Boston never went away.  He will always be one of my favorites.   

People criticize IT for a lack of "self awareness" but I think he understands far more than what he projects in interviews.  Behind the bitter comments is a guy who just wants the opportunity to be paid on the merits of his per-injury contributions.       

I can see a player feeling this way, and wanting to be paid/rewarded for past contributions. However, the team needs to give contracts to players based on their current/future contributions on and off the court.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

I can see a player feeling this way, and wanting to be paid/rewarded for past contributions. However, the team needs to give contracts to players based on their current/future contributions on and off the court.

No doubt and I believe IT understands this after reading his comments from the ESPN article.  My main point is that IT's bitterness is largely due to regret over how much money he cost himself by playing injured.  He lost a stable situation AND a ton of money. 

I only bring these things up because there's a large segment of Celtics fans who have bashed IT for every negative comment, all while ignoring the overwhelming positives that he brought to the franchise.  I guess I don't really care about the petty comments because they are rooted in genuine frustration.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
My one hope is that IT is fully healthy.

Because if he is, I have no doubt he will shine.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
You have to imagine that IT is seeing these Kyrie to NY rumors and just salivating at the thought of getting his old spot back, the question is should we be?

If we do lose Kyrie to free agency we're going to need to replace that position, a Brad Stevens offense is built around playmaking from the wings and bigs with a foundation of attacking guard play. Maybe Terry Rozier is the permanent replacement but I'd argue its possible he'll never be the shot maker/creator that IT is.

Would we look elsewhere? Maybe try to steal Lillard? Roll with Terry and put resources into another position. Bring back IT?

I for one hope Kyrie Re-signs for the long term but it's fascinating to consider what our options could be if he holds to NYC.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
My guess is that after finding a weak market IT took a shot on contacting the Cs to see if the Irving for Leonard trade speculation carried any weight.

If the Cs really where willing to trade Irving and Picks for Leonard then an IT reunion could make sense.

Trade Irving and Picks for Leonard

resign smart

Sign IT to 2 year full MLE deal ( second year team option)

Make Brown 6th man

Start
IT
Hayward
Tatum
Leonard
Horford

Bench
Brown
Smar
Rozier
Baynes
Morris

It would have made sense but In the end I prefer our current roster
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
You have to imagine that IT is seeing these Kyrie to NY rumors and just salivating at the thought of getting his old spot back, the question is should we be?

If we do lose Kyrie to free agency we're going to need to replace that position, a Brad Stevens offense is built around playmaking from the wings and bigs with a foundation of attacking guard play. Maybe Terry Rozier is the permanent replacement but I'd argue its possible he'll never be the shot maker/creator that IT is.

Would we look elsewhere? Maybe try to steal Lillard? Roll with Terry and put resources into another position. Bring back IT?

I for one hope Kyrie Re-signs for the long term but it's fascinating to consider what our options could be if he holds to NYC.

Rozier is good enough to become a starter for us if Kyrie leaves and will improve as a playmaker as he showed last season. Terry plays much better defense as well. This is IT's Achilles heel and will keep him from achieving that brinks truck contract no matter how much he returns to form. His ceiling is as a second unit game changer that can get hot offensively on occaission.

Would I let him return to the Celtics? Absolutely, but only if he was healthy and the price was right. Definitely would not sacrifice any of our young core for him.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
My guess is that after finding a weak market IT took a shot on contacting the Cs to see if the Irving for Leonard trade speculation carried any weight.

If the Cs really where willing to trade Irving and Picks for Leonard then an IT reunion could make sense.

Trade Irving and Picks for Leonard

resign smart

Sign IT to 2 year full MLE deal ( second year team option)

Make Brown 6th man

Start
IT
Hayward
Tatum
Leonard
Horford

Bench
Brown
Smar
Rozier
Baynes
Morris

It would have made sense but In the end I prefer our current roster

TP

Without KI, the IT liability would be very well covered by this roster. But I guess Brown would be the starting SG, with Tatum and Smart subbing in early

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Reading that whole article Thomas just doesn't get it and he can't stop putting his foot in his mouth. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip